Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

I heard there are lots of goths/emos/punks and an alternative music and art scene in Seattle. Is that still true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM

253 posts, read 967,474 times
Yes...especially around Westlake Mall, Pike/Pine, U-District, Uptown, etc.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Ha! You mean the suburban kids who put on their *alternative* look and go downtown on the bus to behave annoyingly?

Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
I'm not looking for the mall goths lol

Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Goths who aren't suburbanites who dress badly and behave annoyingly can be found in Capitol Hill, mixed in with the *****s, hippies, yabbos, bums, tweakers, lost suburbanites, clubbers, retros, and overcaffeinated coffee house dwellers. They can also be found in the U district, and in old Ballard, though they're endangered there.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Emopoops is from the area, no?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 57,556 times
Seattle has more than its fair share of 'alternative lifestyle expressionists' as I like to call them. Tatooed, pierced, punked out creative types can be seen throughout the Sound, although a majority seem to congregate around Capital Hill, the U District, Northgate and Greenlake.

Esentially, these people are harmless and tend to socialize within their own cliques, but beware of the odd character here and there that may speak out in public in unacceptable ways (this is especially important if you have young children.)

Still, I'd rather have to deal with these types than the <wannabe> gangbangers you get two states south...

Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM

233 posts, read 752,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleite2007 View Post
Seattle has more than its fair share of 'alternative lifestyle expressionists' as I like to call them. Tatooed, pierced, punked out creative types can be seen throughout the Sound, although a majority seem to congregate around Capital Hill, the U District, Northgate and Greenlake.

Esentially, these people are harmless and tend to socialize within their own cliques, but beware of the odd character here and there that may speak out in public in unacceptable ways (this is especially important if you have young children.)

Still, I'd rather have to deal with these types than the <wannabe> gangbangers you get two states south...
I live on Capitol Hill and have worked on the hill for twelve years, so it's funny how some of you view Capitol Hill. Sure, there are some weirdos around the hill, but for the most part, all of those "alternative" folks who seem so foreign and bizarre to some of you are just normal people who happen to enjoy a certain type of dress, music etc..
Remember Seattle, you wouldn't have such a great music scene, theatre scene, coffee scene if Capitol Hill was full of clean cut career types (although you can find plenty of them on the hill as well)- Most of the bands that make it onto the national music radar are connected to Capitol Hill. Art and artists are what makes cities great. NYC wouldn't be the same if not for those 'alternative lifestyle expressionists' nor SF, Chicago etc.. This doesn't mean there aren't plenty of douche bags thrown into the mix but some of you sound like your talking about animals at the zoo with their 'wild and crazy tatoos and piercings.' It's really funny,I kinda chuckle to myself a little.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 AM

41 posts, read 141,078 times
The goth scene today in Seattle is not the way it was 6 or 7 years ago.
I was a club kid back then - went to all the goth\industrial clubs - all of them packed.

We had The Catwalk, The Fenix, Noc Noc, The Vogue, and The Mercury - The Mercury is the only "goth" club around these days however the Noc Noc has a goth night on Wednesdays.

Over the years the scene has died off - i wonder what happened to everyone? I miss the scene - Wish all these cool clubs were still around.

But let me be clear about one thing - SEATTLE IS A HIP HOP\TOP 40 TOWN.
Those who say Seattle has a good alternative scene are living in the past. The alt scene in Seattle has been dead for years.
A good example of this is the Crocodile "Cafe". Been a legendary Seattle indie\alternative venue since 1991 - under new ownership and is now a hip hop club on weekends.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:53 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw1 View Post
The goth scene today in Seattle is not the way it was 6 or 7 years ago.
I was a club kid back then - went to all the goth\industrial clubs - all of them packed.

We had The Catwalk, The Fenix, Noc Noc, The Vogue, and The Mercury - The Mercury is the only "goth" club around these days however the Noc Noc has a goth night on Wednesdays.

Over the years the scene has died off - i wonder what happened to everyone? I miss the scene - Wish all these cool clubs were still around.

But let me be clear about one thing - SEATTLE IS A HIP HOP\TOP 40 TOWN.
Those who say Seattle has a good alternative scene are living in the past. The alt scene in Seattle has been dead for years.
A good example of this is the Crocodile "Cafe". Been a legendary Seattle indie\alternative venue since 1991 - under new ownership and is now a hip hop club on weekends.
The Young Fresh Fellows just played with Girl Trouble, please don't tell me nothing is going on in the Seattle "alternative" underground. You don't know how lucky you are to live in Seattle. The Model Rockets still play. I could go on and on but no one here probably cares anyway! I'm not being a jerk, I think I'm just a little jealous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: