Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,016 times

Advertisements

I realize that Seattle isn't rainier than NYC where I live now, and that the humidity associated with your summers is less oppressive than most of the country because of your marine influence, but--

what about the rest of the year when it is actually grey and drizzly?

I have spent a lot of time in Scandinavia which has heavy precipitation and short sunspells, but it was more bearable than NYC because it was somehow drier. I am hoping Seattle will be the same because it has an even lower humidity percentage than Stockholm. Yet it is higher than Atlanta, which I find absolutely unbearable even in the spring.

Annual Humidity Average
NY avg: 72
Seattle: 83
Atlanta: 82
Stockholm: 89

I am arthritic and suffer greatly in humid environments. But I am forced to move for my career to either Seattle, Atlanta, or Dallas (which would kill me so it's off the table).

I am extremely partial to Seattle but am worried about the effect on my arthritis.

Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,183 times
Seattle is very humid to me, but it's a damp humid not that suffercating humidty you find in the South.

It's a constant misty drizzle (lovingly nicknamed MIZZLE), and it can chill you to the bone.

So the question is - is it the cold that hurts your arthritis?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,606 times
Seattle's humidity occurs in the late fall through early spring in the form of precipitation. The reason for that is that the weather systems are caused by "on shore flow" That is weather coming from the Pacific. Loaded with moisture. Mind you, the temps are typically mild during that time, so the humidity does't bring with it the typical suffering of high heat and humidity. Late spring through early fall weather patterns shift to an "off shore" flow. Systems with little or no moisture coming from inland.

The result is very low humidity during the nicest time of the year. The summers in Seattle are glorious.

75, no humidity and no bugs.

That said, those with chronic arthritis often winter in AZ or points south.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM

72 posts, read 187,515 times
Sounds glorious to me!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,016 times
thanks to all! until i started going to stockholm i thought i'd be miserable anywhere but the desert. but as wet and cold as it is there it is so dry that i can take it way better than NYC.

i will visit in the worst times mentioned and see how well i deal.

thanks again!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,191 times
Shesh...I lived in the Midwest and TX. I would not guess Seattle's avg humidity is as high as posted. It does not seem high. Summers are the most glorious time of the year here...better than just about anywhere IMO.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Shesh...I lived in the Midwest and TX. I would not guess Seattle's avg humidity is as high as posted. It does not seem high. Summers are the most glorious time of the year here...better than just about anywhere IMO.
Read my post above. It explains a great deal. and you're right about summer. Damn I love our summers. I really hate to leave town that time of the year.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 AM

164 posts, read 430,253 times
I have asthma and I suffered a LOT more in Philadelphia's hot humid summers and freezing wet winters than I do here. I'm not sure what the affect would be for arthritis, but you wouldn't suffer extremes. Visiting in the later fall, winter, or early spring would be the best test.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maasai1066 View Post
I realize that Seattle isn't rainier than NYC where I live now, and that the humidity associated with your summers is less oppressive than most of the country because of your marine influence, but--

what about the rest of the year when it is actually grey and drizzly?

I have spent a lot of time in Scandinavia which has heavy precipitation and short sunspells, but it was more bearable than NYC because it was somehow drier. I am hoping Seattle will be the same because it has an even lower humidity percentage than Stockholm. Yet it is higher than Atlanta, which I find absolutely unbearable even in the spring.

Annual Humidity Average
NY avg: 72
Seattle: 83
Atlanta: 82
Stockholm: 89

I am arthritic and suffer greatly in humid environments. But I am forced to move for my career to either Seattle, Atlanta, or Dallas (which would kill me so it's off the table).

I am extremely partial to Seattle but am worried about the effect on my arthritis.

Thank You!!!
Keep in mind relative humidity is just that, relative to air temperature. Therefore it's not an accurate way to really measure the amount of moister in the air. The best way to do this is to look at dew point. The dew point is the temperature at which the air is saturated. Colder air becomes saturated at a lower temperature than warm air does and therefore can feel less humid than warm air when the relative humidity may be the same. For example; an air temperature off 55 with a dew point of 50 put s the relative humidity at somewhere between 85 and 90%. However a temperature of 90 with a dew point of 60 puts the relative humidity somewhere between 65 and 70%. This will actually feel more humid than the first example. The reason being is that warm air can hold more moister than cooler air. Whenever you look at a forecast or current weather conditions, always look for the dew point as it is more accurate for how the air will feel to you. When Seattle is warm, it's dew points are usually quite low so it will never feel as humid as the south, or for that matter even San Diego.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Keep in mind relative humidity is just that, relative to air temperature. Therefore it's not an accurate way to really measure the amount of moister in the air. The best way to do this is to look at dew point. The dew point is the temperature at which the air is saturated. Colder air becomes saturated at a lower temperature than warm air does and therefore can feel less humid than warm air when the relative humidity may be the same. For example; an air temperature off 55 with a dew point of 50 put s the relative humidity at somewhere between 85 and 90%. However a temperature of 90 with a dew point of 60 puts the relative humidity somewhere between 65 and 70%. This will actually feel more humid than the first example. The reason being is that warm air can hold more moister than cooler air. Whenever you look at a forecast or current weather conditions, always look for the dew point as it is more accurate for how the air will feel to you. When Seattle is warm, it's dew points are usually quite low so it will never feel as humid as the south, or for that matter even San Diego.
Gentoo,
Thank you for that great explanation of dew point/relative humidity .... I have lived on the east coast all my life and have suffered through the humid summers. The weather forecast here started using dew points along with relative humidity years ago but I never really understood the difference. Thanks, you put it in a way that I can pretty well understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area