Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM

34 posts, read 181,159 times

Advertisements

Is humidity a regular part of the weather in Seattle? I live in Ohio and it's been getting worse here lately with the humidity in the 70 to 80 percent range, it's like riding a bike through a hot tub (yes, it's a silly picture...go ahead and laugh for a minute) But seriously, is Seattle as bad as Columbus? I'm a young lady and having my scalp sweat isn't exactly lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:36 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about humidity in western Washington. Sure, obviously you'll see humidity in Seattle in the 90 to 100% range. However, that's when temperatures are mild.

When Seattle gets warmer temperatures, the relative humidity is rather low when compared with areas east of the Rockies. The marine influence is responsible for a continuous "dampness" in the area but since Seattle rarely gets "hot" temperatures, one rarely experiences the uncomfortable conditions of the mid-west, east coast, or especially the deep south. When the area does get those rare 90 degree days, the humidity is substantially lower than those areas but is substantially higher than the desert southwest under the same temperatures. That's why I'm always heard saying that I can tolerate temperatures in the 105-115 range when the humidity is less than 10%, than I can in Seattle when the temperatures are 85-95.

--'rocco

Old 08-24-2007, 04:39 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,664 times
There is something called "Heat Index" that calculates how nasty someplace feels when looking at the temperature and humidity. Here's a link to a US Heat Index Map, you'll see Seattle is nowhere near as bad as the midwest.

Heat Index Map for the United States

Old 08-24-2007, 06:00 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,548 times
That's a great map, AZDreamer! I haven't seen that one before. Also click on Dew Points for another good visual of why it feels cooler up here with the same or higher humidity than Ohio, or even Florida, our former state. After experiencing summer FL dew points in the 70s for 15 years, this area feels practically arid!

Our neighbors are complaining about this chilly summer and we are positively loving it! I know, I know--give us a few years and we'll probably be complaining too!

Lynn

Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
As a native Seattleite, and someone who has lived in humid climates, no, there is really no uncomfortable humidity in Seattle. In fact, the opposite may be true, the humidity during the winter wet season actually make many feel colder. I guess that could also be considered "uncomfortable" humidity!

However, there are usually two or three days days each summer that feel "muggy" in Seattle. It's all "relative" though. (sorry for the bad pun). What Seattleites might feel as "muggy", would be refreshing to someone from Memphis, or Tampa.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 22,316 times
I moved from Columbus, OH to Seattle 5 years ago so I understand the sort of humidity you are talking about. Seattle summers are extremely pleasant. The humidity is no where near that of a midwest summer.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
I love this thread!!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:47 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I have to say, having lived in the midwest in junior high that the Seattle humidity is definitely not as bad, but having moved here recently from CA, it's very humid here compared to there.

V. =)

Old 08-26-2007, 04:45 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I have to say, having lived in the midwest in junior high that the Seattle humidity is definitely not as bad, but having moved here recently from CA, it's very humid here compared to there.

V. =)
Where in CA ?

Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Where in CA ?
We just moved from San Diego in June, but I grew up in Orange County, and spent a few years in the Bay Area.

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area