Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,440,173 times

Advertisements

When I first arrived in Seattle 30+ years ago from the east coast, I too was kind of astounded by the large number of single family homes, and the lack of people living downtown. Things have changed since then.
But it's still less dense than NYC or San Francisco or Vancouver, BC.
The island of Manhattan is about 23 square miles and has something like 1.6 million people. Seattle's about 92 square miles and under 600,000 people. There are neighborhoods that have increased density in a big way, like Fremont and Ballard,other neighborhoods which have increased density to a lesser degree, like West Seattle, Columbia City,Central District etc, and still others that have always been somewhat dense, like lower Capitol Hill, lower Queen Anne, First Hill.
Still, Seattle's not lacking in the cultural activities that make a city. There's all kinds of live music, live theatre, museums...
There's no question that neighborhoods near downtown are going to see increasing density...That seems to be what a lot of people here want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,163,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
you need to change your mindset if you want to live there.
Yes, I know what you're talking about.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM

233 posts, read 754,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
How far is Capitol Hill from First Hill, damn it? Capitol Hill is all about houses. How is it artistic? How is it bohemian? What all this hype is about?
Well, I live in an apartment on the west side of Broadway that is in the densest census tract in Washington State. I have some of the best coffeehouses in the United States within walking distance. My neighborhood of Capitol Hill is young, has a large population of gays, artists, musicians and students. There are bars and music clubs that foster local music that then becomes nationally recognized throughout the country. I can drink great local beer, go see a play at any one of the small local theaters nearby or an indie film at a single screen cinema. I can stop by a friends art studio to see what they've been working on. Or I can just smoke a bowl and get Ethiopian food. What is your definition of bohemian? I hate that word anyway, it's up there with funky as my least favorite ways to describe something or somewhere but if that's what makes sense to you.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 PM

44 posts, read 166,149 times
Really though, what with all this talk about higher density, does this mean every neighborhood will start looking like Lower Queen Anne? Because I got that feeling when walking around Ballard the other day with a friend.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:00 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,163,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
My advice to you is simply NOT to move here. I don't think Seattle is what you are looking for. If your first impression is that it's not urban enough for you then that's that. If Capitol Hill density is not enough, then you won't find anything denser in Seattle. For me, when I moved here I wanted some urbanity but just enough that I didn't feel stifled by the city. Downtown Seattle, Pioneer Square, Lower Queen Anne, Capitol Hill/First Hill-honestly that is the perfect amount of urban for me. Throw in some beautiful and leafy neighborhoods close by and I'm in heaven. The vibe and cultural options of Seattle are again just what I wanted. Coffehouses, live music, good local restaurants, small movie houses, festivals etc. The natural setting is the biggest bonus of all. If you don't like what you see on Ballard Ave, Fremont and 36th ave., Pike/Pine in Cap Hill, 45th in Wallingford or California Ave in West Seattle then you won't like Seattle.
You will also not enjoy Portland if you don't like Seattle's amount of density. Vancouver will perhaps satisfy your urban craving but only if you stay in the downtown peninsula and only if cultural options are also unimportant for Vancouver's music/arts/cultural scene is less vibrant than Seattle or Portland. I'd suggest San Francisco for the density, urbanity and culture but alas, not too many kids there either.
A great post, jr! Gave you 2 points for that and now you have 100! How about that?! You know, in general, I like Seattle, but I have a mixed feeling. I'll give you an example. Today, a friend of my took me with a car all around Green Lake. I saw a couple of places right on the Lake, and I loved them. The price was right, the area full of kids with swimming pool and everything. And than, I found out... there is no grocery store nearby! There is a massage thing, a nails polishing thing, palm reading thing, but there is no grocery store! I asked a woman with a stroller what they do about food. She said they buy @ amazon.com. AMAZON.COM! Wow! This is a perfect example what I'm talking about. I love the location, though!

p.s. Now, what will you say? "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HERE, THAN DON'T MOVE", right? Don't worry, if I won't like it here, I won't move.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 12-07-2009 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 PM

328 posts, read 841,818 times
I lived in Capitol Hill between Broadway and 15th for over ten years. While that side had more houses, there was a lot going on and the convenience to everything was great. Broadway & 15th aren't the only parts of the hill. The Pike/Pine corridor has a lot of restaurants, coffee houses, unique shops, clubs and pubs.

Movingwiththewind, just curious, are you getting out and walking it? I mean that leisurely, exploratory kind of walk? I could be wrong but it sounds like you're doing a lot of driving and not a lot of real exploring.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:20 PM

233 posts, read 754,227 times
Quote:
A great post, jr! Gave you 2 points for that and now you have 100! How about that?! You know, in general, I like Seattle, but I have a mixed feeling. I'll give you an example. Today, a friend of my took me with a car all around Green Lake. I saw a couple of places right on the Lake, and I loved them. The price was right, the area full of kids with swimming pool and everything. And than, I found out... there is no grocery store nearby! There is a massage thing, a nails polishing thing, palm reading thing, but there is no grocery store! I asked a woman with a stroller what they do about food. She said they buying at amazon.com. Wow! This is a perfect example what I'm talking about. I love the location, though!

p.s. Now, what will you say? "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HERE, THAN DON'T MOVE", right? Don't worry, if I won't like it here, I won't move.
Well, thanks for the points! I don't live up in Greenlake but I have been to the PCC on Aurora which is a pretty decent grocery store and the whole foods on 65th that is also pretty good. I would say only this.. You need to be with someone who knows Seattle better who can show you this stuff or you should get out and walk around to get a better feel. An idea would be to park your car, go get coffee in the morning at Vivace on Brdwy. or Caffe Vita on Pike street in Capitol Hill. Walk into some boutiques, galleries, bookstores etc.. At night grab a beer at Linda's then go see a band. Wasn't trying to be snide when I suggested not to move here and I hope you don't take it that harsh just want to be straight up with you that this is what we offer unapollegetically.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,720,011 times
Sounds like you are not sure what you are exactly looking for. And if you do, not sure it exists. Seattle is dense compared to most western cities (San Francisco being the notable exception). Vancouver is not a fair comparison for obvious reasons.

To me, Seattle is a great mix of single family, apartments, and condos. It has great neighborhoods that offer unique and local dining and entertainment/bars, etc. The cultural opportunities are strong compared to other cities of its size. There are great parks, and yes, there are kids. Seattle is not the most cosmopolitan or dense city in the country, but it ranks high for its size. As someone said earlier, "it is what it is", and I will add it will "become what it becomes". A young city, yes, with an unlimited potential to become one of the most important cities in the U.S. Not there quite yet, but building a stronger case, year after year.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,800,328 times
Quote:
A great post, jr! Gave you 2 points for that and now you have 100! How about that?! You know, in general, I like Seattle, but I have a mixed feeling. I'll give you an example. Today, a friend of my took me with a car all around Green Lake. I saw a couple of places right on the Lake, and I loved them. The price was right, the area full of kids with swimming pool and everything. And than, I found out... there is no grocery store nearby! There is a massage thing, a nails polishing thing, palm reading thing, but there is no grocery store! I asked a woman with a stroller what they do about food. She said they buy @ amazon.com. AMAZON.COM! Wow! This is a perfect example what I'm talking about. I love the location, though!

Its not Amazon.com. Its Amazon Fresh. And its a great service for Seattle area residents with children. Groceries delivered to your doorstep (the same veggies/fruit/meat you'd buy in the store). Free delivery over $80. Don't have to wrangle the kids into the grocery store every week.

There are grocery stores not far from Green Lake. I know there's a QFC around there somewhere.

Also, all the kids are inside because its balls cold out.

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 12-07-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM

918 posts, read 1,705,455 times
Quote:
How far is Capitol Hill from First Hill, damn it? Capitol Hill is all about houses. How is it artistic? How is it bohemian? What all this hype is about?
Right next to it.

You must have went to the wrong section of Capitol Hill. You were probably somewhere in the vicinity of Volunteer Park, or way north of Broadway. Check out the area south of Broadway and north of downtown - actually, to be more specific, try the Pike/Pine corridor - Pike and Pine streets that run parallel to each other, south of 13th street before you reach downtown . No single family homes, lots of bars, restaurants, independent coffee shops, book stores, various eclectic shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area