Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,163,326 times

Advertisements

Thanks Ira and RMKIEFER, now I know everything about West Seattle!

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 12-22-2009 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 AM

321 posts, read 533,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
You asked one person where they went grocery shopping in the Greenlake area who replied with Amazon Fresh, and then drew the conclusion that there must not be any grocery stores in that area. Who does that?
I found the grocery store in Green Lake (http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemunicipalarchives/3322649091/ - broken link)!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
I found the grocery store in Green Lake (http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemunicipalarchives/3322649091/ - broken link)!!!
Yes, this is exactly what I mean! Thanks, bvanevery. Great research skills! By the way, are the prices in 1911 $$, too?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,399,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Yes, this is exactly what I mean! Thanks, bvanevery. Great research skills! By the way, are the prices in 1911 $$, too?
5 cents for a cigar?! Why, only William Boeing can afford that! Him and his logging business riches will surely do-in this great area one day!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
I don't see the connection to Vancouver with Portland and SF. I think Seattle is more like Vancouver than either of those two. Maybe after you live in BC a while and visit Seattle you'll see more similarities.
I visited both Seattle and Vancouver, BC this December. That was my fourth visit to both. I don't see any similarity between Seattle and Vancouver. In my opinion, two cities are very different in everything, but climate. Two different worlds.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 AM

368 posts, read 697,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I visited both Seattle and Vancouver, BC this December. That was my fourth visit to both. I don't see any similarity between Seattle and Vancouver. In my opinion, two cities are very different in everything, but climate. Two different worlds.
Well I've lived in Seattle for over a decade now and visited Vancouver numerous times over the past ten years and I respectfully disagree.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Well I've lived in Seattle for over a decade now and visited Vancouver numerous times over the past ten years and I respectfully disagree.
So what are the similarities then? And why do you insist I have to spend years living in Seattle to see that Seattle and Vancouver are similar? It doesn't make any sense to me. Are a couple of visits (a couple of weeks each visit) not enough to make a conclusion? I insist that two places are more different than similar.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 AM

Food, culture, parks & emphasis on outdoor activity, cycling, asian influence, natural beauty, waterfront vital to local economy, skiing short distance away, boating, kayaking. Neighborhood farmer's markets, emphasis on local business and shops, downtown core more business like in Seattle outside Belltown, and Vancouver more vibrant dt core after dark, but you can find those same amenitites in many Seattle neighborhoods. Liberal attitude, seen people openly smoking pot in both cities without repercussion. If you blindfolded me, took me to Vancouver for a first trip there's no way I wouldn't know I was in the Pac NW, and not from the natural beauty but from the city itself. That's my 2 cents. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion and many people share it as it's all perspective, but you replied to my post saying they had nothing in common and I simply disagree.

Cheers!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Food, culture, parks & emphasis on outdoor activity, cycling, asian influence, natural beauty, waterfront vital to local economy, skiing short distance away, boating, kayaking. Neighborhood farmer's markets, emphasis on local business and shops, downtown core more business like in Seattle outside Belltown, and Vancouver more vibrant dt core after dark, but you can find those same amenitites in many Seattle neighborhoods. Liberal attitude, seen people openly smoking pot in both cities without repercussion. If you blindfolded me, took me to Vancouver for a first trip there's no way I wouldn't know I was in the Pac NW, and not from the natural beauty but from the city itself. That's my 2 cents. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion and many people share it as it's all perspective, but you replied to my post saying they had nothing in common and I simply disagree.

Cheers!
To me, many things you listed as similar, are very different, to say the least. However, the most important thing is that I could easily imagine living in one place, but not in the other. If the two were really similar, it would be hard for me to make a decision. Or, I'd see one city as a kind of a substitute of another. In reality, though, I feel totally differently being in Seattle and in Vancouver. The two have very different vibe. Do you know what I mean?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 AM

I do get the feeling/vibe thing if that's what your'e going by. It's a comfort thing I think. I love Portland but I like the 'vibe' and feel of Seattle better. But I truly don't think you know a place until you've lived there a year so maybe Portland would be different if lived, worked, and commuted instead of just visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area