Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 AM

163 posts, read 420,583 times

Advertisements

Danny Westneat | Closing case on Seattle's culture | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 PM

807 posts, read 2,259,621 times
If you can't handle city life, you need to move to the suburbs.

On the other hand, a lot of my friends have moved out of the city (all women...and you wonder why Seattle is a sausage-fest) due to the gross disorder in the city proper and bums everywhere sleeping on the street. You'd never see this in Europe or NYC. City leaders need to realize the amount of people fleeing the city due to their negligence.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:03 PM

309 posts, read 1,026,530 times
I somehow doubt downtown the worse areas of Seattle are nearly as bad as the worse areas of Detroit. This article is more than likely nothing more than a fear-mongoring piece.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:11 PM

918 posts, read 1,699,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
I somehow doubt downtown the worse areas of Seattle are nearly as bad as the worse areas of Detroit.
I doubt that guy's really from the D. More likely, he's from Royal Oak or Dearborn.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,539,238 times
Even Royal Oak and Dearborn might not be good places at 2am in the morning. Too bad this happened to him though. How scary and traumatic and I hope he can heal from the experience. I lived downtown briefly at Harbor Steps with my two kids on a relocation package and as much as I love visiting downtown, I prefer a quiet life in good ole Sammamish.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 PM

187 posts, read 577,199 times
That is unfortunate and do I whole-heartedly believe there needs to be more police presence in downtown and surrounding neighborhoods - but seriously "The Real Seattle?"

Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,360,346 times
The "Real Seattle" is a diverse place. It includes swanky neighborhoods with expansive water and mountain views and software zillionaires, but it also includes run down housing and crack dealers and thieves and food banks.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM

184 posts, read 552,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The "Real Seattle" is a diverse place. It includes swanky neighborhoods with expansive water and mountain views and software zillionaires, but it also includes run down housing and crack dealers and thieves and food banks.
In other words: Every big city around the world minus the expanisve water and mountain views. Unless you live in the Alps.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 PM

204 posts, read 814,383 times
Interesting article, I just glanced through it. This guy says there are drug deals going on in broad daylight in Seattle.

True story from three days ago. I drive up to a Walgreens with my kids. I said, "kids, stay in the car I am going to get mom's prescription". There is a bit of a hussle right in front of my car, at the pharmacy entrance. Some really rough looking characters exchange some money, no attempt to hide that. One goes in behind me. As I am getting the prescription, the pharmacist is dealing with him too. She asks him to confirm his address. She then gives him "his" prescription, Vicodin. I walk out, he walks out. He passes the drugs along to his mates. Not sure of the mechanics of this transaction but I am sure something illegal was happening there.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
...a lot of my friends have moved out of the city...due to the gross disorder in the city proper and bums everywhere sleeping on the street. You'd never see this in Europe or NYC.
Well, as a New Yorker, I can assure you, there are a lot of other disgusting things you'd see in NYC and from which you are spared in Seattle. This is why I'm leaving NYC for Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area