Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:32 PM

146 posts, read 566,839 times

Advertisements

I currently live in SF Bay Area. The reason I'm asking about Seattle is that I may consider moving there in a few years, as I'll be starting a family soon. I've spent a few months in Seattle and around it so I feel I wouldn't be stepping into the unknown if I moved there.

I mostly love it where I live now but I have a bad "allergy". I'm really allergic to ghetto/gangsta lifestyle and culture. I just can't stand the thugs, real ones or wannabes and the idea that my young family will have to live side by side with them makes me cringe. Unfortunately, the gangsta element is present in many parts of the Bay Area, and currently I live very close to Richmond-- the murder capital of California (~40/100,000) and the mess spills over to where I live. I really do not enjoy reading police reports about a few young hoodlooms throwing a biker to the ground and kicking the cr*p out of them to get an IPod. You can hide in a nice suburb (we've got a few) but if you go to work or to take care of some business in an urban area, you're likely to run into some punks...

Now it seems to me that Western Washington doesn't have anything even remotely resembling real ghettoes-- at least I've never seen one. They say bad things about Renton or Kent on this forum but to me these look like quaint suburbs, as compared to places like Richmond or parts of Oakland. The only place that I might call a 'hood was a certain part of Tacoma through which I went on the way to Mt Rainier...

So am I right more or less in that gangsterism is relatively weak in Seattle area? And what are the most hardcore areas around Seattle?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,715,051 times
If I was having a family I'd stay in SF

I live in Seattle, and have a family, if I could afford it I'd move to the family areas which are Bellwvue or anything on the EASTSIDE. Not Seattle. Not too great for kids - most family things not happening here and NOT the best schools

Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,715,051 times
PS - I'm from Calif (Santa Monica then Davis then up here) - been here 3 years now, but had no idea on areas either. Wish I knew

Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 PM

130 posts, read 147,412 times
No, there are no real "ghettoes" in the Seattle area. Having been to the Bay many times there are no places here comparable to the hoods down there. The worst parts of the greater Seattle area do not compare.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:26 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,074,289 times
But you WILL find teenagers in every "class" and neighborhood who dress "gangsta" as you call it. It's a fad... you kinda need to just deal with it.

There won't be real "hoods" comparable to CA - but that doesn't mean you don't have places like Renton and Kent where people THINK they are as tough as the gangstas in CA... it's just a part of our society.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 PM

146 posts, read 566,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
But you WILL find teenagers in every "class" and neighborhood who dress "gangsta" as you call it. It's a fad... you kinda need to just deal with it.

There won't be real "hoods" comparable to CA - but that doesn't mean you don't have places like Renton and Kent where people THINK they are as tough as the gangstas in CA... it's just a part of our society.
Well, I guess I'm not so emotionally vulnurable that I'll faint at the site of a wannabe "gangsta". I saw a bunch at the mall in Kent-- to me they just look clownish.

I'm more concerned about the real thing-- when you see it you know it. Just from the cloud of intense hatred and agression that they're surrounded with.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 AM
JTC

34 posts, read 148,777 times
No, there are no "real" ghetto's or anything, atleast not that i've seen...usually just stupid 15 year olds trying to act "gangsta" and thats not very threatening lol. But i'd stay away from Tacoma though..i hear its not too friendly over there.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 AM

26 posts, read 155,420 times
Ghettos? What do you mean by real? There are bad areas everywhere. I noticed that people are pointing out Kent, and Renton but neglect tosay anything about other areas. Yes there are a few areas that are suspect to bad behavior but all of this are has good and bad. I lived in Kirkland for years and there were some highschool kids driving around with automaitic weapons.. but that is not mentioned. Personally, I believe crime is focused, at least by the media in a few areas south of Lake Washington. Ie renton, Auburn, Kent Tacoma and the likes., but rarely on the shootings in Belltown or Columbia/Rainier Valley.

Call the police stations and ask about crime in local areas Realtors are also great sources of info.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:54 AM

223 posts, read 1,276,240 times
Seattle has nothing like the real ghettos in the Bay Area or LA. That said, I'd stay away from parts of Tacoma and the Rainier Valley and White Center areas of Seattle.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:17 PM

57 posts, read 147,957 times
There was an article in the Seattle Times on gang violence last Tuesday. I"ll try to attach the link--

The Seattle Times: Local News: Gang violence on the upswing

We have two young kids and have been very happy in Seattle. We live in West Seattle and its a great community. There is lots to do in Seattle with kids. The school systems serving the area vary in how good they are, but even in Seattle(which most people don't like) there are some really good schools depending on where you are. I can't remember being afraid for my safety when I was out taking care of things. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area