Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seattle: job market, cost of living, dating scene, downtown, taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 PM

233 posts, read 752,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I don't agree with this statement. As far as you don't compare NYC's and Seattle's sizes (and similar "quantity" things), of course you can compare the two. I am doing it all the time. For example, you can compare lifestyles, weather, economies, taxes, crime rates, average commuting time to work and other "comparable" things. I am saying this because I'm thinking about moving from NYC to Seattle, too. I like Hamza's points. I want to know what to expect before I move. In addition, when I do reseach on, say, rents or salaries in Seattle, guess what city I'm comparing it to? NYC, of course, because this is where I am now. I am comparing my current living conditions and feelings with what I could expect and how my life would change (spiritually, intellectually, or financially) should I move to Seattle.
Ofcourse you CAN compare them as you can any two places, what I'm saying has more to do with the things New Yorkers tend to complain about when they move to Seattle. They are not unique to Seattle alone, as any city in Seattle's catergory would fail to measure up to New York standards. Here's an example. I had two friends that lived here, born and raised in New York, Brooklyn to be exact. They couldn't get over how you couldn't order out after midnight to get a chicken parmesan sandwich. I mean, really. Another would complain about the quality of the nightlife here.

You can and you will need to compare the things you're talking about when moving here but you must consider the size of the two cities, their histories, ages and demographics, especially when it comes to culture, food/entertainment and the like. That's all i'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:14 PM

151 posts, read 525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuturbo View Post
Wow. And i thought i knew judgemental people in utah while living there. ... (snip)
I don't wear a tie to the opera, I wear nice slacks and a button down shirt. I'm sorry, but I was raised that when you go somewhere important, you dress appropriately. I'm not saying you go everywhere in a tuxedo any more than I'm saying you go everywhere in beach shorts. You dress appropriate to the occasion. I hate this hippy-dippy culture that makes it okay to dress like whatever you want as long as you "feel it" on the inside.

BS! Would you wear shorts and flipflops to a job interview? No. Dress appropriate to the occassion. Which means, at the ballet or opera, you dress appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Hamza, I live very near to you on Cap Hill and I understand some of your con remarks. My main complaint is the street kids and weirdos that inhabit Broadway. Sometimes it's just plain gross and I could never understand why in an area that is so expensive, the main business drag can be so destitute. Broadway is the ****tiest main drag of any of Seattle's neighborhoods. Go to Ballard and notice how much better the shops, restaurants etc. are.
Very, very fair statement. Ballard is gorgeous. That Ouxiaxaca place is amazing. Only problem with Ballard is stuff closes so early.

I don't try and hold Seattle up to NYC, I know they're very different. That's why I like it here, because I'm appreciating Seattle as something new. I'm only distressed about the drugs and homeless. The sex doesn't bother me so much. Aside from the rubber ***** hanging from the powerwires. If you had kids, what would you tell them it is? I'm fascinated about the story behind it. How did it start? Lover's spat from a top-floor apartment? Also, note the UGZ boots tied around it. Is it something artistic? A statement about modern consumerist culture?

TY to everyone who messaged me suggestions of stuff to do. I'll get back to those I haven't answered -- great advice.

Edit: Someone mentioned about wondering why outgoing NYers were having a hard time finding friends here. I think I mentioned before that we're not -- our friends, however, are all from our immediate professional clique. I think that's the key to Seattle more than anywhere else, which is you make friends from your activity groups, be they personal or professional. That's why I think people moving here with no connections have such a hard time. You don't make friends here just meeting people in cafes or something. Or am I wrong?

Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM

233 posts, read 752,579 times
Hamza, I guess I haven't seen what your seeing from the wires. All i've noticed are the random shoes hanging from them and to this day I have no idea why people do it or what it means. Hope you get to explore some more over the next few months. Spring will astound you as far as flowers and snowy vistas, just wait.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Who wha when where? I'm all for Cheap groceries but I've never heard of these places. Got street addresses?
Was it Fred Meyer or Albertsons? I think Albertsons. It might be that Fred Myer doesn't even do groceries in Seattle. And Winco, though that involves going a distance. Go to Google Maps and type in: Winco near (enter your address). It will show you the closest ones.

Also Pike Place Market is often very reasonable with fresh produce, and the butcher there has freezer packages of meat. The fish is a rip-off, they're not giving that away.

Quote:
I have a really hard time finding places in Seattle where people get dressed up as a point, rather than a frustration. We went to the ballet and there were people in jeans and sneakers. That's just disrespectful to the performers.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean .... jeans and sneakers IS "dressed up" in Seattle. You should see what happens when bike riders there get together for a demonstration, you'd be praying for more jeans and sneakers.

Oh, the d-ldo and shoes ..... that's just one of those drunken gay things, I guess you know you're in the gay mecca of Seattle.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Was it Fred Meyer or Albertsons? I think Albertsons. It might be that Fred Myer doesn't even do groceries in Seattle. And Winco, though that involves going a distance. Go to Google Maps and type in: Winco near (enter your address). It will show you the closest ones.

Also Pike Place Market is often very reasonable with fresh produce, and the butcher there has freezer packages of meat. The fish is a rip-off, they're not giving that away.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean .... jeans and sneakers IS "dressed up" in Seattle. You should see what happens when bike riders there get together for a demonstration, you'd be praying for more jeans and sneakers.

Oh, the d-ldo and shoes ..... that's just one of those drunken gay things, I guess you know you're in the gay mecca of Seattle.

Why doesn't anyone mention the Asian market (forget the name...starts witha U ;-) in the International District? Is that more expensive than the others listed? Normally Asian markets are much cheaper than American stores. It's got decent eateries inside as well. Never a bad idea to fill up before shopping.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,234 times
Here it is:
Uwajimaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-11-2008, 11:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Why doesn't anyone mention the Asian market (forget the name...starts witha U ;-) in the International District? Is that more expensive than the others listed? Normally Asian markets are much cheaper than American stores. It's got decent eateries inside as well. Never a bad idea to fill up before shopping.
Uwajimaya is tops in high quality produce and has good prices on large sacks of rice, and of course has a bazillion imported Asian foods. There are also other stores in the complex, it's a fun place to visit every now and then.

If you want cheap Asian, there are places along S Jackson, not as clean or pretty as Uwajimaya but less expensive. Although the fish is cheaper in some of those stores, remember to test for freshness: poke the fish a little to see if the indentation stays visible for a little while after you lift your finger, and look at the eye to see whether it is dull and dead looking - of course both signs mean it's not very fresh.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:12 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
I'll go ahead and fix the original post.

Find "Seattle"
Replace "Capitol Hill Area"

Old 12-14-2008, 04:11 AM

260 posts, read 926,256 times
well, jeez louise... if you are buying groceries at QFC, now wonder your food bill is so high. Try Safeway or Albertsons. Much cheaper....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Try amazonfresh.com for groceries. Great prices, great service!! Way less expensive than QFC on most things...I know because I compared a recent bill online. Other than that, I also try to shop at TJ's (which I love) to keep the grocery bill down.

And a big old second for the city being nothing like the suburbs for families. I know at least 10 different families who left the city and beyond neighborhoods for the Eastside. As for the rest of your experience, WOW, but that's not even remotely like mine. Welcome to Seattle!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 AM

260 posts, read 926,256 times
Have you checked the galleries and art shops in Pioneer Square?

Quote:
We desperately need art shows. My lady loves the art scene -- she was an art history major undergrad -- and we need some art shows where people get dressed up sexy and look at attractive paintings. It can be funky and weird and everything, but she really wants to get dressed up and be taken out for a night on the town. I have a really hard time finding places in Seattle where people get dressed up as a point, rather than a frustration. We went to the ballet and there were people in jeans and sneakers. That's just disrespectful to the performers.

Fancy, hip art shows. If you help, I'll give you a cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area