Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 23,528 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What do people think of the safety of the neighborhood around 2306 SW Brandon St in West Seattle? I have read on this forum that some parts of West Seattle, particularly south, are not particularly safe. I'm a single woman thinking of buying at this location.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I live in west Seattle and I'm new here, don't know nuthin' bout nuthin', but.....there are a whole lot of houses around here with some pretty aged looking For Sale signs hanging out front. West Seattle is wildly overpriced for the *rustic* charm of most of the houses here. Plenty of apartment rentals as well.

I wouldn't buy a house here right now. I think prices in west Seattle will soon be seeing some serious 'adjustment'. These places are not moving.

IMHO west Seattle is a very conservative very residential area. Safe, yes very.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
There are a lot of neighborhoods within West Seattle, and they vary tremendously..
Around 23rd and Brandon? I don't think it's unsafe, but for some reason I find that area between West Marginal and Delridge just a little creepy...it just feels a little isolated and there aren't a whole lot of stores around....But further south in West Seattle is more dangerous, as you get closer to White Center.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 23,528 times
Thank you - doesn't sound like a good move to me. Any news on the Whole Foods that's supposed to be opening there?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I like White Center. It's real. No organic coffee houses, no yoga centers, no whole health pet emporiums. Plenty of barbacoa and dollar stores and un-cutesy ethnic restaurants. White Center is good.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 PM

I like White Center too, and the Salvadorean Bakery there is absolutely amazing...and I totally agree with you, Azoria, about White Center's realness...
roseonec,
The West Seattle Whole Foods is under construction, but the Metropolitan Market sells many of the same items, and West Seattle also has a PCC Food Co-op branch.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 PM

658 posts, read 830,555 times
I asked my wife what she thought about a single woman living in White Center or Delridge. She laughed and said, "Not me. I like my sex to be consensual." Take it to heart.

Delridge is the butthole of West Seattle. Only White Center has more people living around you who are on lifelong welfare and have illegal "second jobs" or "side businesses." I used to live on Delridge, when it was only noisy and obnoxious, but has since turned into a hell-hole. Ask the police department, they had to put a precinct in the middle of the place to calm it down. But those people are still there, murders are still common, and I would not move back there for anything. Move out of that little valley to the West, and you will find things much calmer, no gunshots, no boom-boom cars delivering drugs at 2AM, no loud arguments outside between drunk homeless. Worked for us. Or you can live dangerously.

I would rather rent a basement elsewhere than an apartment there.

Last edited by jamesandveybe; 08-01-2008 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM

39 posts, read 254,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
I asked my wife what she thought about a single woman living in White Center or Delridge. She laughed and said, "Not me. I like my sex to be consensual." Take it to heart.

Delridge is the butthole of West Seattle. Only White Center has more people living around you who are on lifelong welfare and have illegal "second jobs" or "side businesses." I used to live on Delridge, when it was only noisy and obnoxious, but has since turned into a hell-hole. Ask the police department, they had to put a precinct in the middle of the place to calm it down. But those people are still there, murders are still common, and I would not move back there for anything. Move out of that little valley to the West, and you will find things much calmer, no gunshots, no boom-boom cars delivering drugs at 2AM, no loud arguments outside between drunk homeless. Worked for us. Or you can live dangerously.
is it really that dangerous? I mean, it sounds like Compton.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 PM

I don't think Delridge is as bad as Compton, in fact I don't think any neighborhood in Seattle ranks up there with the worst of Newark, Camden, Gary, Indiana, Washington DC, Detroit, etc, but Delridge is kind of scuzzy and desolate at the same time.
White Center may be poor, but it has some vibrancy, interesting little hole in the wall ethnic eateries...Delridge seems to lack that.
But if someone pointed a gun to my head and said I had to choose between living in Compton or living on Delridge, it'd be Delridge by a mile. Or maybe I'd just say "Maui."

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM

29 posts, read 104,851 times
Hello, I would like to hear from some people who actually live in this area....... when I hear someone say an area is guetto around here(western wa), I usually take it with a grain of salt. My wife and I are interested in the burien/boulevard park/white center area because of it's excellent location and cheaper cost of living. I have been to all of these neighborhoods and don't see much wrong. It looks to be diverse with mixed income families. Also quite a few newer retail centers. feedback from real locals would be nice. These areas don't seem to have much more crime than any other cities in WA(statistics according to this website) The only thing that seems to be different is the percentage of minorities and the cost of housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: