Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM

30 posts, read 99,502 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I'm graduating this May with some money saved up and I'll be relocating back to the PNW, Seattle specifically. The problem: I don't know which address to use. Currently I live in Tucson, AZ and my moving date is flexible after June. However, I have friends both in Olympia and Seattle. If in my position, would any of you list (with their permission) a friend's residential address as your own?
It would be nice to have a solid job offer upon arriving in the city, but I'm aware employers may be hesitant to hire out-of-state job seekers. But if I do use a friend's address and get an offer, it'll pretty much be impossible for me to fly up just for an interview :/
I'm going to be subletting (really staying for free) a friend's apartment in Oly while she's away from June til the end of July. Do you guys think it would be best for me to halt the job search until June, when I actually move?
I appreciate any feedback from anyone who has been in a similar position before or just anyone that can offer an opinion/advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM

69 posts, read 155,613 times
I have made a 2k mile relocation before, 6 years ago. My advice would be to not lie. Make it apparent in your resume that you are serious about the job and not just feeling out prospects....that you are completely serious about moving to the area. I wouldn't hire anyone if I found out they lied on their application, no matter how small it was.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM

620 posts, read 1,301,044 times
I would say that you use your Tucson address.

From my own experience:

When I was in Illinois doing my research, I used a friend's address that I stayed with while visiting the area. I got called for an interview and I ended up having to pay to fly out here for the interview. I didn't get the job.

Then I switched to using my Illinois address. In the final paragraph of my cover letter, I wrote a sentence mentioning that I was relocating back to Seattle. I would also write in the body of the email that I was currently in Illinois but would be relocating to Seattle. Some have been willing to do phone interviews as an alternative.

Then when I got here, I wrote an email to those other employers who were still considering me for positions. I got two responses for interviews within a week.

The thing that I have found when it comes to interviews, some companies may give you a week or two out (especially if around a holiday), but it has been my most recent experience that when they want to talk to you, they want to talk to you now. I have been called in for interviews the very next day. You could try to say that you went out of town to visit family, but they will still want you in the office. Of course, this is assuming that you aren't applying to Amazon, Boeing, or Microsoft where they are willing to fly in the right candidates.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM

96 posts, read 281,809 times
Be warned, I know some people who have had issues in recent years with this. Flew out for interviews only to be told they wouldn't get the job unless they'd already moved out here.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 PM

69 posts, read 155,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreebby View Post
Be warned, I know some people who have had issues in recent years with this. Flew out for interviews only to be told they wouldn't get the job unless they'd already moved out here.
That is why people need to be upfront and concise on their resumes and communications. Usually a company will give you a phone interview if you are out of state. In that phone interview you have to say (in a nice, but clear way) that flying out on your own dime is no problem, but only if they are seriously considering you as a candidate. It also shows the seriousness and commitment of a candidate that is willing to spend 300-700 just to get an interview...if the position/company doesn't fly the candidate out themselves.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
I set up an address with a UPS store here in Seattle before I moved (it was a box number, but it looked just like an apartment number), and I wouldn't do it again. Anyone who knows their way around Seattle would have known the location wasn't likely to be residential.

Best you can do is use your current address and clearly state in your cover letters your intention to move to the Seattle area. That's what I eventually ended up doing. Better to be honest with potential employers up front, even if it does mean some of them will pass you by for not being currently local.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,223,655 times
Put a local address....companies have

-glut of local talent
-do not want to pay to relocate
-do not want to wait for you to relocate
-do not want to hire someone who may not like the area and then quit do to social/environmental or whatever factors

I put a local address down and my phone can not stop ringing...I put down out of state and nadda

If you want the job then put a local address down and never mention it again..

Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM

96 posts, read 281,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaz View Post
That is why people need to be upfront and concise on their resumes and communications. Usually a company will give you a phone interview if you are out of state. In that phone interview you have to say (in a nice, but clear way) that flying out on your own dime is no problem, but only if they are seriously considering you as a candidate. It also shows the seriousness and commitment of a candidate that is willing to spend 300-700 just to get an interview...if the position/company doesn't fly the candidate out themselves.
Employers didn't care. A certain someone I know said they'd move out within the month and the employer said it was too bad. It depends on the employer, though.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM

710 posts, read 1,398,374 times
I wouldn't recommend it in today's economy. In the past, yeah it was somewhat ok, but nowadays they are just looking for anything to slim down the applicant pool...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: