Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:33 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times

Advertisements

"don't you think the people who live in a city ought to be able to decide what kind of changes they want? (provided that's not done in a discriminatory way, of course)"

Yes, but they didn't, or couldn't.

"All those boxy new buildings aren't just degrading SLU aesthetically, they've flooded the area with more traffic than its streets can accommodate. Had they been offered a chance to vote on this, wouldn't the people of Seattle have said no?"

Same answer...they didn't or couldn't.

Bottom line, Seattle encouraged this development without any regulations other than some height limits that were pretty lax, especially toward the Denny triangle. Seattle allowed everything to be built here, and frankly, they have considered SLU as mostly open range, within some constraints as the the neighborhood slopes down to Lake Union. It isn't really a matter of a public vote, but a city council vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 4,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance2Tech View Post
I lived in NYC and Chicago before: truly America's greatest cities. I cannot wait to move back next year.
I agree NYC and chicago are awesome so is atlanta!

Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,622,617 times
Most single men only need three things to be happy

1. a good paying job in
2. a city with decent nightlife and
3. a decent selection of women.

Take one of these away and his experience will begin to decline. Take two away and he will most likely be extremely miserable.

Finance2Tech has mentioned from previous posts that he is not happy with the dating scene here nor the entertainment options.

I completely understand.

Finance2Tech...do what you have to do to get to the place you really want to be. Some cities just don't work out.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,598,902 times
Go gay. Makes life easier.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:07 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,957,903 times
Thing is SLU is not done oh no . Last time I drove by about 5 to 7 cranes still up. Talk about growth unchecked. Its one of the ugliest parts of town.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:33 PM

895 posts, read 1,704,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Generalize much? My wife is from NYC originally, I'm from Miami. Our lives here are filled with deep friendships, immersion in local arts/culture, constant appreciation of little hole in the wall eateries, love of the amazing nature and progressive ethos of this place. It's not perfect but you do it a great disservice by speaking in such general terms.

I also take real exception with your use of the term "tech robots". Many of them are my friends and clients. Sure, some people in the tech field are laser focused and single minded in their interests and brilliance. Look beyond your judgement though, if you can develop the capacity to. My mother always taught me that connections can always be found between people if they open their hearts. Yours seems closed and cold.

I have tech clients who gather wild mushrooms in the mountains, others who make amazing machines and go to Burningman, others who just hitchhiked in Iceland for 10 days just because. Open your heart bro. Life isn't so black and white, let the layers unfold around you. Actively study some Buddhism and learn to not be so judgemental. Engage in your city, join groups that interest you. Come from love.

I'm going to try to see your post as a cry for help. Perhaps you could give us a list of 10 things in life you have a genuine and authentic passion and interest in. Beer making, avant garde theatre, organic gardening, beach volleyball, poetry slams? Come on, tell us. Then the well rounded and interesting participants of this forum can come up with some great ideas for you. I proclaim today "Lift Finance2Tech's Life Up and Improve His Mood" Day!!
Homesinseattle, very enlightening a well articulated post

Old 10-01-2017, 05:23 PM

135 posts, read 164,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Most single men only need three things to be happy

1. a good paying job in
2. a city with decent nightlife and
3. a decent selection of women.

Take one of these away and his experience will begin to decline. Take two away and he will most likely be extremely miserable.

Finance2Tech has mentioned from previous posts that he is not happy with the dating scene here nor the entertainment options.

I completely understand.

Finance2Tech...do what you have to do to get to the place you really want to be. Some cities just don't work out.

This is correct. After health, family, and friends, that is the hierarchy for single straight men. The fact that I can go kayaking or paddle boarding during the summer in Seattle is inconsequential (and I love doing those activities) compared to the dating scene and quality of women. Seattle is the worst major U.S. city in this category.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 PM

638 posts, read 530,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The OP just seems like a whiner, but you do make an important point, 87112. Has any dimension of life in Seattle been improved by the tech influx?
My salary is rising a lot because I left my public job to work in tech. My family did not move out west at the beginning of the last century to sit on our butts and whine. Gotta keep moving and improving, all the time. Go where the jobs are, do what they pay you to do. Anyone who wants to try getting a job, a date, or a house just by crying about it is going to have a damn hard time out here. The city was not built for that.

It has been an adjustment and hard but I don't blame my problems or career choices on anyone else.

I feel very bad for older people who have no property as they truly need assistance, as do our poor kids and invalids. As for singles and people who wanted to live downtown on an artists salary, join the club kiddos. Life is full of hard choices. I know many people who moved to Portland for a lower COL but they aren't writing whines on the Internet. They just realized Seattle wasn't for them and left.

I think Seattle attracts a lot of people who think geography is going to solve their problems.

It won't.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
My salary is rising a lot because I left my public job to work in tech. My family did not move out west at the beginning of the last century to sit on our butts and whine. Gotta keep moving and improving, all the time. Go where the jobs are, do what they pay you to do. Anyone who wants to try getting a job, a date, or a house just by crying about it is going to have a damn hard time out here. The city was not built for that.

It has been an adjustment and hard but I don't blame my problems or career choices on anyone else.

I feel very bad for older people who have no property as they truly need assistance, as do our poor kids and invalids. As for singles and people who wanted to live downtown on an artists salary, join the club kiddos. Life is full of hard choices. I know many people who moved to Portland for a lower COL but they aren't writing whines on the Internet. They just realized Seattle wasn't for them and left.

I think Seattle attracts a lot of people who think geography is going to solve their problems.

It won't.
Well said. Seattle has always been a boom and bust city, but always a great city of opportunity since its inception. The city has always been rough and tough, but many have made fortunes in the city and that continues to the present day. Is the climate less than desirable for some? Of course. Has the city infrastructure failed to keep up with growth? Of course. Is the city still a beacon for those who want to work on the cutting edge? Absolutely.

Soulless? Nah.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:57 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Yes, but where else can you wear socks with sandals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area