Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
We liked the Capilano Suspension Bridge. A favorite tourist attraction at Vancouver. It is fun to experience the "shakiness" of the bridge - it's up pretty high and it's fairly long in length and the trees are such a beautiful green. Well worth going to see.

https://www.capbridge.com/
The bridge was so so. (another poster corrected me as I meant the free Lynn Valley bridge, but still so so)
To be positive, Stanley Park seems very nice. I didn't have time to bike around it but I would recommend doing that.

Last edited by bloom; 07-21-2017 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Watch out for Hastings Street!
Indeed. I took a wrong turn walking to find an specific Chinese restaurant and ended up walking across this skid row which scared the bejesus out of my kids. We found a good restaurant mentioned above nearby in good neighborhood but not in skid row proper. I took a wrong turn and I just kept on going...

Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 PM

1. Kitsilano pool is a nice large salt water outdoor pool, with a view. Worthwhile swim.

2. I did not like the anthropology museum and it was very expensive admission And very expensive parking. (Interestingly there is a nude beach if you take the stairs all the way behind down to the water. Oops I didn't know and my teen sons were with me.). To be positive, the anthropology museum in Victoria across the sea is great.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
Bloom, if you go again, the Lynn Valley suspension bridge, waterfalls, gorge and general nature experience costs zero and is ten times better than Capilano "tourist" bridge. Even better, I bet it has about 1/10th the visitors.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Bloom, if you go again, the Lynn Valley suspension bridge, waterfalls, gorge and general nature experience costs zero and is ten times better than Capilano "tourist" bridge. Even better, I bet it has about 1/10th the visitors.
My bad. I meant the Lynn Valley bridge not the Capil. But I still thought so so. We have that kind of stuff right here in this area. To be positive, Stanley Park is very nice.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 PM

Bloom, did you walk over the bridge and another half mile or so to the gorge where the crystal clear water cuts through? People jump off those rocks in the summer, I did too when I was young and didn't realize people had died there. You can safely walk out on a big rock that takes you right out near the middle, 15 foot cliffs on each side. I agree there is some beautiful country near Seattle but you aren't going to see that 10 minutes from Green Lake (Lynn Canyon is 10 min from North Vancouver).

Old 07-21-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Bloom, did you walk over the bridge and another half mile or so to the gorge where the crystal clear water cuts through? People jump off those rocks in the summer, I did too when I was young and didn't realize people had died there. You can safely walk out on a big rock that takes you right out near the middle, 15 foot cliffs on each side. I agree there is some beautiful country near Seattle but you aren't going to see that 10 minutes from Green Lake (Lynn Canyon is 10 min from North Vancouver).
Are you referring to the gorge the bridge crosses or something else? If something else can you post a link to it. I saw folks more like stepping off rocks into the river/creek below the bridge from the bridge. I recall Lynn Canyon was more like 30+ minutes from say Stanley Park (there was traffic). For Seattle area, one needs to go up to 1-3 hours one way from the city to see lots of good stuff, like the Cascades, Islands, etc - that is a day trip which is very convenient, but yes more than 10 minutes, though also good stuff within city itself like Seward, Discovery, St. Edw. parks etc

Old 07-22-2017, 12:10 AM

Yeah bloom, after you cross the bridge, follow the trail to the left about 1/2 mile, goes through really pretty mossy old trees and then ends up here. Lots of people sit around, dip in the water on a warm day. Great picnic spot: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location..._Columbia.html. I used Green Lake as an example because North Van is about the same distance from Downtown Van as Green Lake is to Downtown Seattle. From North Van, Lynn Canyon truly is 10 min.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:28 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I'm not sure I buy the premise that it's actually uncommon for people from Seattle to visit Vancouver.

But sure, I agree that it's a fun city to visit.

That said, people might be discouraged by the hassles of border crossing, the need to change money, and the need for a passport.
No need to exchange money. You can just use your credit card. And who doesn't have a passport nowadays? Only people who never travel. They wouldn't go there even if they didn't need a passport.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:08 PM

269 posts, read 297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I meet so many folks, either at work in just in life in general that live here, who have never visited the metropolis that is Vancouver just a couple of hours north. There is kind of a carelessness to the city that I don't quite understand, because it's so fun to go there and it's a lot more cosmopolitan. It's also really affordable right now due to the exchange rate. I am not even from here and I've visited 6 different weekends. Locals need to expand their horizons a bit more, no?
That's easy.

To vast numbers of people, THE BORDER is a barrier over which a common/typical group of associates can no longer DEPEND on being able to cross, as a group/family.

Whether it be the irritation of proper documents, or the stupidity of past DUI convictions, you can't 'depend' on all in your social circles to have access to the otherwise-brilliant idea.

Same is true of Victoria, only multiplied by the major aggravation of a natural moat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area