Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I call that the California factor. Lots of pretty women love sunshine and I do know more than a few really attractive women who have migrated south. You can also get by in Seattle wearing jeans and plaid year round. There's little incentive for anyone to really get in shape. Contrast that with LA where everyone wants to be in shape as social functions mean that you're definitely going to be somewhere and either shirtless or in a bikini.
Seattle is the sixth fittest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM

151 posts, read 548,351 times
Are these types of articles really relevant?

From the article:

"The magazine reports that 33.8% of American adults are now obese.

The CDC says 34 percent of the population in Houston is overweight.

The CDC says more than 40 percent of Portlanders are within healthy weight perimeters."

So, 33.8% of American adults are obese, which is considered worse (or more unhealthy) than being overweight. Houston, rated the fattest city, has close to the American average of obese, but the 34% in Houston are only overweight not obese.

Portland, rated the fittest city, has more than 40% within healthy weight perimeters. So...close to 60% are not withing healty weight perimeters?

*Just trying to understand the article...

Last edited by newguy416; 02-24-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I think it's pretty ballpark. Seattle is fit. I'm now in one of the fattest cities, and it clearly is not. The previous poster should have said instead that there is no incentive for Seattlites to be vain instead of fit when comparing them to the bleach-brained Los Angelinos.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I call that the California factor. Lots of pretty women love sunshine and I do know more than a few really attractive women who have migrated south.

There's also a growl factor here in Seattle. Women aren't particularly nice to strangers.
No, what happened to me happened in northern New Jersey, across from NYC. They were brown haired Jersey girls, most likely Italian and reasonably attractive. It was in May, so the sun was out. Yes to the growl factor, particularly Bellevue and Kirkland blondes who have nothing to offer intellectually and are devoid of personality, but can make their way to Bellevue Square blindfolded. LOL.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM

399 posts, read 882,847 times
Interesting thread.

So im getting the picture that Seattle nightlife and dating scene isnt that great?

Im from NY and kind of outgoing. I mean, I will just randomly talk to anyone, especially girls. Is that going to shock the women there or something?

Is all this really true? Its between Chicago and Seattle for me. I have a feeling that dating in general is better or easier in Chicago and the nightlife is obviously better.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Generally, Seattle (within the city at least) is a fairly easy place to date for a guy but an extremely tough place to land a relationship. Women have the pick of the litter as there are way more single men than women here. So, women can be quite choosy and serial date at will before choosing the best one for a relationship. I see it ALL the time.

All in all the social climate here is bizarre to say the least. If you don't take dating seriously here and understand that you are living in a city with chalk full of people with mild to severe social retardation, then you should be fine.

These are all generalizations, but generally true. Obviously, not everyone is socially awkward and I have met some really cool people here. But, the odd, icy social atmosphere here is quite obvious to notice fairly quickly.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
Actually I think Seattle has the best dating scene of any city I have lived as an adult. At least this is in my personal experience. I have previously lived in San Francisco Bay for many years and San Diego. I think for a guy Seattle is better then both. The SF Bay and SD seem to have way more guys then girls, and I thought they had VERY difficult dating scenes. Seattle seems to have more girls then guys. There is just a way different vibe, and in a good way. This may not be true at all for women. But for men I think Seattle is a tremendous place to date. I also think the women are nicer and way more down-to-earth here then CA. The bigger problem has been choosing which one!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Interesting cause everything I read suggests Seattle has more men than women.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM

305 posts, read 450,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Interesting cause everything I read suggests Seattle has more men than women.
Dude, TRUST ME, Chicago is where you want to be. I just moved to Chicago from Seattle, and it's a complete, 180 degrees world of amazingness out here compared to Seattle! I didn't realize it when I was in Seattle, but the women there are UGLY. Or maybe Chicago just has a boatload of hot women, but I tend to blame the former because women in Seattle don't even wear makeup. Also, the attitudes of women here are astronomically better. They're friendly, talkative, FUNNY, interesting, blunt, loyal to their teams - all the things Seattle women aren't. Trust me bro, if this is you're only criteria, don't even hesitate to pick Chicago.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Dude, TRUST ME, Chicago is where you want to be. I just moved to Chicago from Seattle, and it's a complete, 180 degrees world of amazingness out here compared to Seattle! I didn't realize it when I was in Seattle, but the women there are UGLY. Or maybe Chicago just has a boatload of hot women, but I tend to blame the former because women in Seattle don't even wear makeup. Also, the attitudes of women here are astronomically better. They're friendly, talkative, FUNNY, interesting, blunt, loyal to their teams - all the things Seattle women aren't. Trust me bro, if this is you're only criteria, don't even hesitate to pick Chicago.

And im sold. Thank you. This is basically all I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area