Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 12:57 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,928,512 times

Advertisements

I have only lived in northgate Seattle since July 2015. In my over a year of living here i have noticed the homeless population around town get bigger and bigger. Even on the eastside im noticing a bigger homeless population. Where do these people come from? Why are they homeless to begin with?? What are solutions to the homeless crises??

On the bus the other day from Kirkland to downtown seattle there was a homeless man drinking whiskey on the bus getting drunk and he even started hitting passamgers on the bus. The sheriff removed him from the bus. Last night i was taking a bus from bellevue to Kirkland and there was 2 homeless woman taking a bus to a homeless shelter at a church in Kirkland.

At the park near my apartment which is infront of the targrt and best buy building there are tons of homeless people spending the night now. A year ago this park had no homeless people.

Often if i have leftover food that im not going to eat i walk it over to homeless people in the park and they are greatful.

Some people blame high rising apartment prices in seattle for our homeless problem. Is this really the reason??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 05:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,593 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Those at the shelter in Kirkland are mostly working, but have no money for a deposit on an apartment, or can't afford the high rent. Those on the streets in Seattle or Eastside woods are more often from other states, and moved here because of the mild climate, the generous tourists for panhandling, and the tolerance of the police. The numbers will continue to grow as long as nothing is done about it. The city seems to be just moving them around from one place to another.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:53 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,928,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those at the shelter in Kirkland are mostly working, but have no money for a deposit on an apartment, or can't afford the high rent. Those on the streets in Seattle or Eastside woods are more often from other states, and moved here because of the mild climate, the generous tourists for panhandling, and the tolerance of the police. The numbers will continue to grow as long as nothing is done about it. The city seems to be just moving them around from one place to another.
I really hope those at the Kirkland shelter move to apartments or find a room to rent. Being homeless isnt fun.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:19 AM

547 posts, read 507,290 times
They are here because the mayor welcomes them with open arms and they get free stuff. Simple as that.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:59 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,097 times
We've had many homeless long before the housing boom.

Many of them have substance abuse or mental health problems. They commit crimes.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:31 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,505 times
ME!!! I got this!!!! I just did a huge project on this.... Over 70% of the homeless population is mentally ill. Guess who ranks 49th out of 50 for mental health services? Washington! Guess who we are failing? That's right the mentally ill folks of this state. This state is VERY much about the rights of the mentally ill. Each individual who is involuntarily committed has a public attorney and that attorney will believe every word that comes out of that disoriented and mentally sick persons mouth, they will fight to get them out. So we have the mental health professionals who are trying to help against the judicial system. It's costing the taxpayers far more than it should. Did you know that due to most of the homeless population being uninsured they spend thousands of dollars annually per person in the ER because they can not get into clinics and urgent care centers without insurance. How backwards is that? An ER will accept uninsured by there are no clinics that have 24/7 hours that will.

So mental health care here is severely lacking and it needs help.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:47 AM

8,073 posts, read 8,378,646 times
If the same number of persons were rendered homeless due to a natural disaster, we would be building large trailer/manufactured-building parks in the county, using FEMA funds, providing sanitation, garbage, power, water, laundry, transportation, internet, communication, mail, health/social services, daycare, etc. Many people after Katrina, for instance, were also assisted in relocating to other areas that had available housing/services.

The primary reasons we don't do that for those rendered homeless for other than natural disasters are 1) lack of federal or other funding and 2) that they are more or less considered to be culpable, whether morally or not, for their situation and should, thus, be left to stew in their own juices. That social, economic, and political forces are having much larger effects than personal choice is ignored, perhaps due to anxiety that "as you go, so may I".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area