Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,196,704 times

Advertisements

Unless I find a job downtown my hope's of Island living are pretty slim. So I need some opinion's about Seattle public schools for my 12 year old daughter. Looking at the safety of the school's. Are there alot of fist fights, drugs, and racial tension? Here on the east coast I would never send her to city schools because it is just too rough. I live in New Jersey but its the country part of the state and the schools have very little of what I'm talking about. So if any east coasters see this I would love some input from you if you have any knowledge of this.

Living rite in Seattle would be huge!! But I'm not sure how the inner city is there. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:53 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,712,845 times
The whole Seattle school district is bad - all the good schools are on the Eastside

But if you have to, then the best areas are in the North East Corner of Seattle, I hear Nathan Hale is good - it's in Wedgwood. That's where my son will go.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,708,745 times
can you pick school zones? how does that work?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:04 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,712,845 times
You can not pick a school zone, per say

The school you will get is determined by where you live (your address).

The district is divided into "Clusters" - you can ask (when you sign up) to go to a different school in your cluster. If you prefer a school OUT of your cluster - you will be put on a waiting list and priority goes like this:

1st Priority to the school - is if you live by it
2nd Priority is if you live in the cluster
3rd priority if you have a sibling already in the school
4th Priority (out of cluster) is whomever lives closer

So you see you CAN try and get into any school but you can be on the bottom of a waiting list.

We put my son in an out of cluster school by waiting list - but because we lived close in proximity (as the crow flies it was less then a mile) - he was accepted immediately. And it's a darn nice school - I think number 2 in the district for Elementary, if I remember properly.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,062,859 times
Although we tend to badmouth the Seattle school district a lot here on this board, I still think it would be much better than a lot of east coast inner city schools.

I haven't done a lot of research about it in while but from what I'm remembering from studying it years ago, Seattle schools were superior to a lot of inner city schools across the nation.

--'rocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area