Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 01:00 AM

93 posts, read 197,561 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering a move to the Seattle area from the Dallas, TX area with our two small children next year, and I'm trying to get a feel for the area. We are free to live just about anywhere as my husband works remotely for a company in the tech department. I have extended family in Seattle so that's one reason we are considering moving (I also hate the heat and other aspects here). So long story short, which areas of the Seattle metro are the most "kid-friendly", meaning an ideal mix of excellent neighborhood schools, libraries and parks nearby, pediatrician's nearby, shopping nearby, and also access to children's museums and similar facilities within a reasonable commute. Let's say our ideal budget is $300-600 for a home, and we don't mind a smaller, older home (newer is fine, too).

I'm visiting this summer and then again next winter to get a better feel for the area, but I'd also greatly appreciate any info from locals here. I know that there are a thousand other threads in this topic, but most are constrained by job location/commute. We are open to any area in the Seattle metro area, from Seattle proper neighborhoods (not sure they'd be in our budget, though) to east side suburbs to suburbs further out like Maple Valley.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. So many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 AM

8,108 posts, read 8,495,455 times
Green Lake. For instance:

2203 N 80th St, Seattle, WA 98103 | MLS #898053 | Zillow

Old 02-29-2016, 07:43 AM

8,215 posts, read 8,457,050 times
Shoreline, Edmonds, Mukilteo would be great choices, and would accomplish all you speak of. You'll need to be near the top of your price range. At $350k, you'll want to look north to Everett, which is a neat place but the school grades won't thrill you.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 AM

21,999 posts, read 15,887,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempNest View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are considering a move to the Seattle area from the Dallas, TX area with our two small children next year, and I'm trying to get a feel for the area. We are free to live just about anywhere as my husband works remotely for a company in the tech department. I have extended family in Seattle so that's one reason we are considering moving (I also hate the heat and other aspects here). So long story short, which areas of the Seattle metro are the most "kid-friendly", meaning an ideal mix of excellent neighborhood schools, libraries and parks nearby, pediatrician's nearby, shopping nearby, and also access to children's museums and similar facilities within a reasonable commute. Let's say our ideal budget is $300-600 for a home, and we don't mind a smaller, older home (newer is fine, too).

I'm visiting this summer and then again next winter to get a better feel for the area, but I'd also greatly appreciate any info from locals here. I know that there are a thousand other threads in this topic, but most are constrained by job location/commute. We are open to any area in the Seattle metro area, from Seattle proper neighborhoods (not sure they'd be in our budget, though) to east side suburbs to suburbs further out like Maple Valley.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. So many thanks!
I would think the best advice you're going to receive is from the extended family you have in Seattle.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:13 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,166,668 times
Ballard has a lot of businesses catering to people with young children. Once you cross the line into Fremont just finding a restaurant or brewery that allows children gets difficult, whereas in Ballard it's the norm. I'd say Greenlake is pretty good but it has a slightly less family friendly feel. Capitol hill on the other hand is the polar opposite. Few kids, not the best place to dine out with them. Most of the in city neighborhoods with good schools will push the upper end of your budget, but it's definitely doable for $600K.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Shoreline, Edmonds, Mukilteo would be great choices, and would accomplish all you speak of. You'll need to be near the top of your price range. At $350k, you'll want to look north to Everett, which is a neat place but the school grades won't thrill you.
Are the first three areas in Seattle proper? Thanks.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would think the best advice you're going to receive is from the extended family you have in Seattle.
I'm sure that's true, but I think having multiple perspectives is a good idea. I should clarify that I have ONE family member in Seattle. And hey, city data people are awesome.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:20 PM

would Bellevue fit my description and have better home prices?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:22 PM

8,215 posts, read 8,457,050 times
Hi there TempNest. Shoreline is just a bit north of Seattle proper, Edmonds a bit farther, Mukilteo a bit more. They are all close to Puget Sound, which is a nice bonus. You may be able to get a little closer in to town if you are okay with a small home. West Seattle, Columbia City, Seward Park, Ravenna, Broadview, Greenwood, Broadview are possible locations in Seattle proper where you get a bit more for your money. East Bellevue, Newport Hills and North Kirkland/Juanita are possibilities too.

I am a fan of less home getting in a great neighborhood. I just spent a month with my backpack in Ethiopia last year, saw 20 people sleeping in one room. 1000 SF is pretty palatial, depending on your frame of reference

Old 02-29-2016, 03:55 PM

I totally agree! I'm more interested in place than space, and I want to find the right mix of kid-friendly amenities and city culture. Good schools are a must. I'm trying to understand how the Seattle areas you mentioned compare to the "east side" (did I get that right? ��) suburbs. Here in DFW, many of the suburbs are cities in their own right, with a lot to do. It's different here in that I can easily zip down to Dallas because we have s million highways, so I'm trying to understand better because I know that traffic is congested there. Thanks ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area