Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:57 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempNest View Post
Are the first three areas in Seattle proper? Thanks.
No, they're not. They're north of Seattle.

Seattle's north end has wonderful, kid-friendly, quiet, scenic neighborhoods that are within your price range, with walkable shopping, medical offices, a hospital. Look north of Northgate mall, also just east of it, in a neighborhood called Victory Heights, and also Pinehurst. Farther west, there's the Greenwood District, which also has some nice neighborhoods around a main shopping street. I don't know how the schools are in those areas, except that Roosevelt HS, serving the Northgate area, is one of the best in the city. You can also look in the Maple Leaf neighborhood, which is south of Northgate, and very family-oriented, though prices may be higher there. Lake Forest Park, bordering the north of Seattle, is a nice area, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM

93 posts, read 196,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I-90 is more congested, as 520 is a toll bridge so not as many people use it. That's not to say 520 is a cake walk, it can get really crowded too. Worst part of Bellevue traffic? 405 in either direction merging onto I-90 can be brutal. Combined with normal Downtown Bellevue traffic on 405, certainly makes for some backups.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM

Are there any neighborhoods in Seattle proper within reasonable commuting distance to the university that are kid-friendly? This might seem like a strange follow-up question, but I'm asking because I would like to apply to go back to school as a grad student. So I'm open to living in Seattle itself. Actually, I think we would really like it if we could find a good Seattle neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, they're not. They're north of Seattle.

Seattle's north end has wonderful, kid-friendly, quiet, scenic neighborhoods that are within your price range, with walkable shopping, medical offices, a hospital. Look north of Northgate mall, also just east of it, in a neighborhood called Victory Heights, and also Pinehurst. Farther west, there's the Greenwood District, which also has some nice neighborhoods around a main shopping street. I don't know how the schools are in those areas, except that Roosevelt HS, serving the Northgate area, is one of the best in the city. You can also look in the Maple Leaf neighborhood, which is south of Northgate, and very family-oriented, though prices may be higher there. Lake Forest Park, bordering the north of Seattle, is a nice area, as well.
Just now seeing this. Thanks for the info. I'll check these areas out.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:46 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Cedar Park, Ravenna, Maple Leaf, Greenwood, Victory Heights, Meadowbrook, Pinehurst, Matthews Beach, Licton Springs, Haller Lake, Broadview, Olympic Hills.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Cedar Park, Ravenna, Maple Leaf, Greenwood, Victory Heights, Meadowbrook, Pinehurst, Matthews Beach, Licton Springs, Haller Lake, Broadview, Olympic Hills.
So many thanks!!!

Old 03-02-2016, 02:19 PM

319 posts, read 346,272 times
Quote:
Which area of Bellevue has the worst traffic? Which bridge into Seattle is more congested - I90 or 520? TIA.
Unfortunately all of Bellevue has bad traffic these days and it is getting worse and worse as they build on every square inch of space. But that is happening everywhere around here. I spotted 10 construction cranes around DT Seattle the other day and that was just in one area, from one viewpoint. I am at the UW most days and the traffic on I5 to and from there is terrible any day at about 3pm on. It's hard to find an area here without traffic. And the buses sit in traffic too. I hear it from students all the time about how the busses are not quick and easy like they thought they would be.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasallyttle View Post
Unfortunately all of Bellevue has bad traffic these days and it is getting worse and worse as they build on every square inch of space. But that is happening everywhere around here. I spotted 10 construction cranes around DT Seattle the other day and that was just in one area, from one viewpoint. I am at the UW most days and the traffic on I5 to and from there is terrible any day at about 3pm on. It's hard to find an area here without traffic. And the buses sit in traffic too. I hear it from students all the time about how the busses are not quick and easy like they thought they would be.
Wow....

Are there are plans for a subway system or something if traffic is this terrible?

Last edited by TempNest; 03-02-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Quote:
Are there any neighborhoods in Seattle proper within reasonable commuting distance to the university that are kid-friendly? This might seem like a strange follow-up question, but I'm asking because I would like to apply to go back to school as a grad student. So I'm open to living in Seattle itself. Actually, I think we would really like it if we could find a good Seattle neighborhood.

As mentioned by another poster, there are many neighborhoods that fit this definition. It all depends on how much you want to spend on housing ...

Another option ... the light rail system will soon run to UW, so you could find housing along the light rail line which runs from the airport, through South Seattle, Downtown, Capitol Hill, then UW.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:39 PM

128 posts, read 147,788 times
Quote:
So many thanks!!!
Just keep in mind your budget, the Ravenna and Maple leaf area is about $300-350+ per square foot and is in very high demand (it will not be a walk in the park to put in a winning offer in this neighborhood). Homes in this neighborhood would be small and older (40+ years older), but it is a nice area with some VERY GOOD schools.

Bothell is about $200-250+ per square foot (traffic can be bad into Seattle), Kirkland and Bellevue would be $300+ (go over the lake via 520 to get to Seattle, but you pay toll).

Good areas for you to look would be Kenmore, Lake Forest Park, Lake City, etc. Very easy commute into Seattle and easy access to 5 or 405.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area