Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:42 PM

93 posts, read 196,574 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the info, everyone. I think outside of Seattle is really going to end up being the most practical for us (but I'm still open to living in Seattle), so now I'm trying to understand how the nearby suburbs compare to each other. What are the differences between Renton, Bothell, Bellevue, Issaquah, Sammomish, Shoreline, Redmond, etc? I usually dislike generalizations, but I'd like to know how locals think of those areas. For example, here in Dallas, Highland Park and University Park is where the filthy rich conservatives live (eek), Lake Highlands and Lakewood are more moderate and middle to upper middle class, and then out into the suburbs, Richardson is older and more diverse and closer to Dallas, Coppell is wealthy and kind of small-town-minded and some say snobby, Plano is professional and also extremely conservative, and then the further out you go, the more 'Texas' you get if you catch my drift, etc etc. thanks for indulging my curiosity!

Last edited by TempNest; 03-01-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempNest View Post
Thanks so much for the info, everyone. I think outside of Seattle is really going to end up being the most practical for us, so now I'm trying to understand how the nearby suburbs compare to each other. What are the differences between Renton, Bellevue, Sammomish, Shoreline, Redmond, etc?
Bellevue and Sammamish have higher median incomes than the others. Bellevue, Sammamish, and Redmond have more people working in the tech industry. Renton and Shoreline tend to be a little more working class.
Sammamish and Shoreline don't have downtowns. Bellevue and Sammamish have higher house prices than the rest. Renton and Shoreline both have some parts that aren't nice. Bellevue and Sammamish have very well regarded schools, Shoreline and Redmond slightly less so.
But, in actuality, all these places have similarities.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmatazzy View Post
Like Ira said Tahoma Maple Valley school district rates high. They are building a new high school to open next year. There are plenty of parks and trails in Maple Valley. It also has a new Fred Meyer and is close to the Covington Costco. There are some housing developments close to shopping areas. They are mostly cookie cutter with small lots.
Due to weather around here, kids playing outside together is limited except in summer.
The Seattle neighborhoods have a lot of charm but I am not sure you realize how crowded and busy they can be. You will need to visit before deciding.
Maple Valley seems beautiful! My only concern is how far from Seattle it is. I'll have to drive through during my visit. Thanks

Old 03-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Renton is physically large, and diverse. I live in the part closer to Seattle, so it takes 20 minutes to drive to downtown Seattle. Unfortunately, that's not the part of Renton with the better schools. After the last child graduated high school, we bought here because we could find a lower priced home with a larger garden space.
You can have a Renton address and be in one of four school districts. Most of Renton is in the Renton school district, which has both good and bad schools. Some of Renton is in the Issaquah school district( really good schools), some of renton is in the Kent district( Kent's schools are generally not so good, but those in Renton are very good. A few Renton addresses are in the Tahoma(Maple Valley) district, also very good. Because Renton is big, you can live anywhere from 20-45 minutes from downtown Seattle. There are many parks and playgrounds, and it's fairly easy to find a place to live with walking distance of an elementary school. Renton also is not lacking for shopping and restaurants. I just read something that said that no city in Washington has more restaurants per capita than Renton. Sure, some of them are typical chain places, but Renton also has it's share of cheap, good, ethnic holes in the wall.
Fairwood, which CAMama mentioned, is nice, as are the neighborhoods adjacent to it. Kennydale is very nice. The eastern Renton Highlands is nice, and mostly in the Issaquah school district. The western Renton Highlands is somewhat run down, but getting better. The part of Renton west of downtown Renton is a mixed bag. Where I live is quiet and boring, but there are other parts that are more run down.
All in all, I do think Renton offers more house value than other parts of the Seattle area, and I enjoy living here. It's definitely kid friendly.
So many thanks for all of this info! This sounds similar to areas here with school districts overlapping within cities. Renton sounds like it could be a great fit. What was CAMama referring to about the industrial past, etc? Just curious...thanks!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Bellevue and Sammamish have higher median incomes than the others. Bellevue, Sammamish, and Redmond have more people working in the tech industry. Renton and Shoreline tend to be a little more working class.
Sammamish and Shoreline don't have downtowns. Bellevue and Sammamish have higher house prices than the rest. Renton and Shoreline both have some parts that aren't nice. Bellevue and Sammamish have very well regarded schools, Shoreline and Redmond slightly less so.
But, in actuality, all these places have similarities.
Thank you!!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:22 PM

319 posts, read 346,456 times
To me, Renton is to the Seattle area as Garland is to the Dallas area. If you can go to 600k, I would look at the areas on the Eastside (Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah, Bothell, Kirkland) with very good schools and traditional neighborhoods where kids can play outside. Maple Valley is nice but it is far from Seattle if you need to get to Seattle often. Also, traffic is getting really bad here so definitely keep that in mind as well if you need to get around.

Also, compared to Texas you will find all of these places to be liberal. People are very accepting here in the whole region. Remember, here you can go into a store and buy pot just like you would a liquor store so it's a bit more mellow. lol

Old 03-01-2016, 09:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempNest View Post
So many thanks for all of this info! This sounds similar to areas here with school districts overlapping within cities. Renton sounds like it could be a great fit. What was CAMama referring to about the industrial past, etc? Just curious...thanks!
It's not just an industrial past. Renton has a big airplane factory, where this little airplane company makes 737s. It has a Kenworth truck factory, and lots of industrial parks/office parks/warehouses on the south side of town. The Boeing presence used to be larger, but they sold off a big chunk a few years ago, which is now the Landing shopping area( sorta kinda upscale, especially for Renton). Renton's physically large. If you work in Seattle and live in Fairwood, you could be completely unaware that industry exists in Renton. That's another difference between Renton and Sammamish. Sammamish is mostly suburban housing, with strip malls and some outstanding parks. No current industry. Renton, Tukwila, and Kent have industry. In Renton's case, it's pretty concentrated in one area.
Renton, Shoreline, Bellevue, and Sammamish all have large parts that are suburban residential, newer construction that is similar in appearance to each other. In fact, some of the same builders have the exact models of homes in different towns at fairly dramatically different prices.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasallyttle View Post
To me, Renton is to the Seattle area as Garland is to the Dallas area. If you can go to 600k, I would look at the areas on the Eastside (Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah, Bothell, Kirkland) with very good schools and traditional neighborhoods where kids can play outside. Maple Valley is nice but it is far from Seattle if you need to get to Seattle often. Also, traffic is getting really bad here so definitely keep that in mind as well if you need to get around.

Also, compared to Texas you will find all of these places to be liberal. People are very accepting here in the whole region. Remember, here you can go into a store and buy pot just like you would a liquor store so it's a bit more mellow. lol
oh I'm very aware about the area bring more progressive. I'm going to lose my marbles staying in Texas...I need to get out of here lol

Old 03-02-2016, 12:50 PM

Which area of Bellevue has the worst traffic? Which bridge into Seattle is more congested - I90 or 520? TIA.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:56 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
I-90 is more congested, as 520 is a toll bridge so not as many people use it. That's not to say 520 is a cake walk, it can get really crowded too. Worst part of Bellevue traffic? 405 in either direction merging onto I-90 can be brutal. Combined with normal Downtown Bellevue traffic on 405, certainly makes for some backups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area