Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 AM

102 posts, read 118,810 times

Advertisements

I see. Well, just so you know, what you are looking for is what everyone here is looking for. But if you are willing to do a fixer upper, you might be able to get into North Seattle at your price or a little higher.

If you are willing to stretch the budget a little and live nearby Lake Washington rather than Puget Sound, you will have more options for fixers in your price range, and if you do work for UW, easy commute or good transit options. Neighborhoods are Sand Point, Cedar Park, etc. I personally live in Wedgwood and I *love* it. NE Seattle is not on people's radar as much, it's not "hip," and it's not quite as expensive as the neighborhoods near Ballard where you are looking, but it's walkable and close to UW. If I could afford to buy in this neighborhood, I would do it in a heartbeat, but I can't deal with a fixer and I don't have the budget for a move-in-ready home.

Don't get too close to Lake City Way and don't believe stuff you read on the internet about how Lake City is on the upswing. They've been saying that the whole time I've lived in Seattle (over a decade). It's not scary or anything, and there are a lot of useful businesses, but not somewhere you want to live with your family.

Have you looked into Edmonds? They have a nice little downtown area and a lot of waterfront.

I'm not aware of other teaching hospitals in Seattle, but I could be missing something. UW Medicine also has the UW Medicine Neighborhood Clinics all over the place, but I am not sure they are as teaching oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 AM

102 posts, read 118,810 times
Another wonderful thing about NE Seattle is we have the Burke-Gilman Trail running through it. This is a miles-long bike trail that runs through a couple neighborhoods in NW Seattle, through campus, up through NE Seattle and all the way out to Woodinville, and for much of the stretch in NE Seattle there is a nice view of the lake, and access to the lake at a few public parks along the way. If you can buy close to the trail you can have lots of fun with your family and even commute to UW by bike if you are so inclined.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:53 AM

8,198 posts, read 8,400,364 times
I second that, Burke Gilman trail is a real gem, you can bike all the way to Fremont in Seattle. I love the Matthews Beach area near Lake Washington, pretty good value for the dollar.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:10 AM

35 posts, read 28,778 times
The Burke Gilman trail looks great! That's exactly something we are looking for. It seems similar to the Emerald necklace trail we have in Boston that I use to run on all the time.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:45 AM

My wife and I both have job offers that we will be accepting with start dates in the beginning of October. House budget will likely be 425K.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 AM

$425k is tough, very competitive price range. Be open to something smaller, needing work, in a place like NE Seattle Olympic Hills/Lake City area, perhaps even Lake Forest Park.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:03 AM

That is exactly what we are looking for. Something around 1,000 Sq feet, that needs work and is in the Olympic Hills area and surrounding neighborhoods. Preferably still within the city limits.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:10 AM

I've won a couple bidding wars up there recently. Just have a very good strategy, be decisive, get someone to help you who really knows what they are doing. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:33 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,899,311 times
Don't wanna be a Debbie Downer, but here's a sign of current market:

Seattle home too dangerous to enter sells for $427,000 after

Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,048,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Don't wanna be a Debbie Downer, but here's a sign of current market:

Seattle home too dangerous to enter sells for $427,000 after

Yah, but that's on Belvidere Ave. I know someone who has a house there. She has a panoramic view with tge Space Needle, Lk Union, Mt. Rainier. Obviously they want the place for the lot only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area