Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 AM

8,198 posts, read 8,400,364 times

Advertisements

tobester, I love Columbia City, I'm actually listing a neat house there next week. I stayed away from that idea for tilley as they seemed pretty school focused and wanted a bigger lot (lots can be a bit small there). Also, Columbia City is very hot with the Amazon crowd right now, homes are selling $100K over list with multiple offer, broken record, right? I just find the other areas we have been discussing here to have a touch (note, just a touch) less competition and the lots a good size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 AM

450 posts, read 555,315 times
OP, Columbia City isn't known for good schools although it's hip and walkable, one couple we know who managed to snag some older house with basement issues around $400k are able to do so because they have free childcare provided by family. They also wouldn't be able to afford that house now it's over $500k. For an infant daycare can easily run $1200-$1800 a month.

Two physician assistants (I assume that is what PA means) should easily bring in $200-300k combined depending on inpatient/outpatient work so I'm not sure why the housing budget is only $400k?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 AM

35 posts, read 28,778 times
Our student loans are killing us, 3k per month. We both have 4 years experience so based on current job postings I was think we would end up around 230k for combined income. If you know of people getting more than that or places paying more than that we would be thrilled. There has been a giant surge in PA schools in the northeast so that has kept salary relatively low compared to other parts of the country where there are far less PAs.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,048,863 times
So, would that be 10 to 12k monthly take home? 13? You may net more out here due to there being no state income tax. Also, we have lower property taxes out here than most of the NE. I'm not suggesting you shoukd over commit or anything but definitely look at all factors.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:42 PM

Before my husband retired, I think we grossed about 125k a year. We probably netted close to 7k a month though hard to discern that since we had about 15% deducted for 401k which changed our take home a lot.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Ya I've already factored in those two things. We would pay about 1k less per year in property tax and we paid about 11k combined in state income tax last year. Defiantly nice having an extra 12k in our pocket but unfortunately I've already calculated that into what I think our budget would be.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:10 PM

Ah!

I do hope it works out. Values and prices are rising here.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:42 AM

102 posts, read 118,810 times
If you do end up working at UWMC, living in Shoreline is very convenient. I work for UW and all buses lead to UW. There's also a light rail station there opening up this month and the light rail is slowly moving north.

I too have thought for a long time that I need to live in the city forever but I am getting ready to move up to Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood, Edmonds or somewhere like that. Some of those areas are closer to UW than some of the areas of Seattle that are south of downtown. In your price range you will be lucky to get into Shoreline nowadays, much less look down your nose at it. Those areas aren't all that "suburban" either, as you will find many people in this area share your values/wants etc.

Before you decide on a neighborhood, you should get jobs. Commute is everything here as we have some of the worst traffic in the country according to online articles I have read. Open yourself up to jobs in other areas (the U district is very dense) and open your mind to living in other neighborhoods.

Farmer's markets- Seattle has a robust network of farmer's markets. You won't be going to Pike Place Market as a local.

Restaurants - Many of the city's best restaurants are in Ballard or other northern neighborhoods, not downtown, so if you live in the northern suburbs, you can still get to these places easily.

Living south of downtown is only advisable if you are also working south of downtown, as commuting through downtown can be a bear. You want to save as much time as you can for that new baby!

Speaking of which, I don't have kids. But I did have friends who were all like "oh we are totally cool with apartments and small spaces" until they had a 2-year-old running around and she was pregnant again. Then the mom went bonkers, begged the husband to rent a house, they broke the lease and were outta there. LOL

Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 AM

102 posts, read 118,810 times
Somewhere in this thread you mention the ocean- we are not all that close to the ocean. It's about a 3-hour drive to the closest ocean beaches.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM

I am hoping to land at UWMC because they have positions similar to where I currently work but both my wife and I will be applying to many different places. I would actually like a teaching hospital just outside of Seattle so my commute would be opposite of traffic but I don't know those hospitals yet. We are currently in the process of applying for our WA state PA license, which looks like it may take awhile.

Its nice to hear good things about Shoreline. If we can't find something in Olympic hills it will defiantly be the direction we go in. I am just trying to gather info about the area from locals. There is only so much statistics from the internet can tell you.

Being relatively close to the sound is all we are looking for, no need to be on the open ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area