Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM

31 posts, read 151,513 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Seattle. I've seen some lovely houses on line that are in the Seattle school district. But I'm wondering if it's like so many other cities... where if you live in/near the city-- you "must" go with private schools.

I welcome anecdotes and impressions... and if you have any research or news articles to point to, that would be great, too.

If there are certain neighborhoods/schools we should consider or avoid, please let me know.

So far-- we keep hearing that we should avoid public schools all together in Seattle (and instead, look at Issaquah, Redmond, Lake Washington School District, Snoqualmie Falls...). But I've read some positive research about some of the Seattle schools... don't know what to make of the drastic contrast in opinions.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,339 times
Default would love to hear about Seattle Schools as well!

If there's anyone out there with feedback, I'd love to hear it too! It's very hard to find good information online, and it is scary when trying to make such a big decision about where to move...
Any opinions would be great!
Thanks!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,071,221 times
While waiting for folks to comment, I want to take this opportunity to suggest doing a search on the subject. We've talked about Seattle schools in dozens of threads in the past two years that the C-D forums have been in existence.

You can read some interesting comments on those threads while you wait for responses from current participants.

Thanks for coming to C-D forums.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:32 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,078,769 times
If I had other options, as a parent, I would not put my children in Seattle School District.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,719,015 times
Jenbar and I agree

Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,133,008 times
The schools on the Eastside are by far better supported. If I had to rank them I they would be:\

1) Mercer Island SD
2) Lake Washington SD
3) Northshore SD

I've heard great things about Mercer Island SD, the lake washington and Northshore SD's are pretty much tied.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 PM

98 posts, read 443,666 times
Smile Seattle Schools

We have lived in Seattle for 20 years and have a 12 year old. A recent Seattle Magazine add states approx. 26% of students here attend private schools. There are pockets of good public schools but the leadership has been a mess. For instance I play rec basketball at Ballard High School which was a beautiful built public high school opened in the last 10 years. Now it feels dumpy to me with grafitti etc.. We have friends in public schools doing fine but we often hear of strange stories involving teachers being transferred in and out early in the school year, principals leaving etc. Take a look at greatschools.net. I agree eastside schools like redmond, mercer island and bellevue, issaquah are better and more consistent. You will pay a price though if you have to commute to seattle. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 AM

31 posts, read 151,513 times
Default Shoreline?

Does anyone know anything about schools in Shoreline?

Thanks for all the input.

While scores and charts are great, first hand experience is also important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area