Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,808,101 times

Advertisements

No way in hell im giving up my car, bus to the UW or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,878,020 times
I've done it for a few years and it's fine without a car. Grab the free bus app for your phone and go! Though I walk around mostly. If you're fit and like walking it's no biggie to get a lot of places around downtown. Getting to SeaTac is a breeze and fairly cheap via the lightrail. The walk to the terminals isn't amazing, it's a hike, but you avoid traffic and parking hassles.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM

102,438 posts, read 108,851,375 times
I lived in Seattle without a car just fine. It helps to live within walking distance of grocery and other basic conveniences. The only thing you'd need a car for is on weekends, to get out of town and enjoy scenic areas. You can get cheap rentals for that.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM

35 posts, read 197,621 times
As others have mentioned the Light Rail goes from Downtown to the airport (about a 40 minute trip) - I think it runs every 10 minutes or so depending on the time of day.

But as to your more general point, my husband and I have found it very easy to live without a car as long as you can conveniently get to anywhere you go regularly; for everything else there's Zipcar, Car2Go and taxis/Uber/Lyft. If you live centrally and don't have kids it's very common to not have a car. Everyone I know who has a car already owned it when they moved to Seattle rather than buying one because it was too inconvenient to live carless here.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM
OHW OHW started this thread

102 posts, read 148,304 times
Again thank you all so much for the help!

Do you guys find walkscore.com to be pretty accurate for Seattle?

Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM

905 posts, read 1,110,766 times
/\ - I find walkscore in general to be fairly accurate. It's a great tool - I like the most walkable hoods myself, despite owning a car.

If you wanna go carless in Seattle, I would say to stick to the city core hoods, like Cap Hill, Lower Queen Anne, Belltown, etc. You'll have most of what you need within walking distance, with the best public transit in the area for trips to nearby areas beyond walking distance. You can rent a car for when you want to leave the city. You could probably get away without one in the outer hoods as well, albeit with less convenience than the most central areas. The burbs are another story, of course.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 PM

18 posts, read 166,279 times
Being car-less in Seattle is really only tolerable if you're a student at one of the schools in the city and with short-term plans. If you're in your late-twenties or beyond, not having a car will seriously hamper your social flexibility and the diversity of experiences you can have in the PNW. The 'urban' center of Seattle is actually fairly small (and, dare I say, dilapidated), and I think you'd find a lot of events, gatherings, and errands need to be done outside the core. What most people love about Seattle is the nature surrounding the city, which is NOT easily accessible unless you think a nasty hour-long bus ride in the rain is easy... if you want to be in a walkable urban environment, why choose a tiny one with terrible weather? Instead, I'd recommend NYC... or Paris.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 AM

644 posts, read 1,193,521 times
To echo what others have said, I think it really just depends on your habits. I can walk to work and to several grocery stores and restaurants, and I don't mind riding transit, so I get by just fine without a car. But I have a pretty high tolerance for walking long distances or planning around a transit schedule.

Zipcar and Car2Go are nice to have, and I use both on a regular basis. But it's really not the same as owning a car. If you don't drive frequently, car sharing is cheaper overall than ownership. But it also really changes how you choose your activities. The marginal cost of renting a car to go do something is very high. For instance, if you're going out to dinner on a Saturday night at a restaurant, you'll probably want at least a two hour reservation, which will cost at least $20. For a shopping trip at an outlet mall, you'd probably want 3 or 4 hours, so you're looking at $30-40.

If you drive more than a few times a month, this could get really expensive. Due to these costs, I often find myself sticking closer to home and choosing destinations I can access easily by transit or walking. If I owned a car, I'd end up paying more overall, but that trip to the outlet mall would cost next to nothing by itself. There's also a psychological difference in driving a Zipcar/Car2Go vehicle - there's always a clock ticking in the back of your mind. Especially with Car2Go, which charges by the minute, red lights suddenly become a lot more stressful. Every minute you spend sitting at a red light costs $0.38. That may seem insignificant, but it adds up, and I find myself thinking about it a lot as I'm driving.

Another minor factor to consider is how this affects your ability to rent a car from a place like Avis or Enterprise. If you don't have a car, you don't have insurance, so you'll have to take out their rental insurance policy. If you're under age 25, you'll also have an underage surcharge to deal with. For me, renting a car to drive to Portland for the weekend would be very expensive and definitely not worth the time savings.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,163,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
No way in hell im giving up my car, bus to the UW or not.
Well, nobody asks you to give up your car, do they?

It's not what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area