Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times

Advertisements

Hey soon to be Seattle neighbors, I have a question thats really been on my mind for sometime and now its a big must know now that I am moving to the Emerald City and I don't wanna make a mistake for not being informed or creating problems for myself that I don't need.

What is Seattle's law and guidelines in regards to gun ownership for home defense? Specifically, because I own a 9mm 19magazine pistol and a tactical 12 gauge shotgun that I use for protection at my home and property, what has been the stance on people protecting themselves and or their property from intruders or car breaks ins? I've been in Montana all my life so we view things different obviously about the 2nd amedment, people rights to bear arms and protect themselves and their homes, so I have a feeling Seattles mindset is bit different, and I need to know what. Information is power

Have their been any particular cases and trials with people protecting their homes, specifically apartments with guns? If so, did the law side with them or is it like the rest of the country and the damn lawyers and liberal minded civil courts throw the book at the home owner and get them charged, fined or jailed and the criminal goes free?

And no, I have no plan or desire to carry a firearm around in public. I just wanna know where I stand in protecting myself and my apartment home from intruders and or someone breaking into my car.

KEEP THIS DISCUSSION civil and stick stricly to STASTICIAL facts and written laws, biased opinions that incite arguments or toll bait I will immediatly report to the administrator and bypass the mods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Seattle isn't really hot on guns. They've recently had that stupid gun buyback where hey! You can get an Amazon shopping card. Then a lot of people got mad when others did their own buybacks next to that whole thing.

You can even hear it on the news when there's some home invasion and the homeowner shoots the bad guy, that's tsk tsk tone. Usually, the homeowner doesn't get in trouble. The most recent case I can think of is Woodinville area and down in Tacoma. But who knows, Seattle is doing what they can do about gun issues. The law is the law, there's been some moves against guns and Seattle's been told they can't supersede the State Constitution. It would be better to know it from the state law, rather than the city: Washington Gun Rights - Home

Old 07-21-2013, 04:04 PM

33 posts, read 110,348 times
Hey AT-AT28,

Washington has de facto castle doctrine. If anyone enters your house illegally, you have carte blanche to use deadly force to protect yourself or anyone else there. There are numerous stories you should be able to find via the local news outlets about people shooting an intruder, and they do not get in trouble. Furthermore, I believe the would-be thief (or his next of kin) cannot sue the homeowner in WA state if they are injured or killed. So you're pretty much protected from any criminal or civil issues.

Someone breaking into a car (unless you're in it) however, does not allow you to use deadly force. Nor does shooting someone in the back as they are fleeing. But you probably already knew that. You have to be protecting people; not property.

While the laws here are very similar to Montana, the attitude is not. As Inkpoe said, Seattle most definitely isn't hot on guns. Thieves know this, and it's one of the reasons the break-in rate is so high around here. They can't fathom anyone would actually use one to protect themselves.

But you are well within your rights to do so; even though people in the city often treat guns like nitro-glycerin (go further out from the city proper & you'll find a more pro-gun attitude). So don't worry: you'll already be more well-prepared than 90% of the people in this area when it comes to crime.

Good luck, and welcome to Seattle.

P.S. Oh, and lock your doors. I know this sounds like the most obvious advice on earth, but you'd be amazed how many Seattleites think they live in Mayberry.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Hey soon to be Seattle neighbors, I have a question thats really been on my mind for sometime and now its a big must know now that I am moving to the Emerald City and I don't wanna make a mistake for not being informed or creating problems for myself that I don't need.

What is Seattle's law and guidelines in regards to gun ownership for home defense? Specifically, because I own a 9mm 19magazine pistol and a tactical 12 gauge shotgun that I use for protection at my home and property, what has been the stance on people protecting themselves and or their property from intruders or car breaks ins? I've been in Montana all my life so we view things different obviously about the 2nd amedment, people rights to bear arms and protect themselves and their homes, so I have a feeling Seattles mindset is bit different, and I need to know what. Information is power

Have their been any particular cases and trials with people protecting their homes, specifically apartments with guns? If so, did the law side with them or is it like the rest of the country and the damn lawyers and liberal minded civil courts throw the book at the home owner and get them charged, fined or jailed and the criminal goes free?

And no, I have no plan or desire to carry a firearm around in public. I just wanna know where I stand in protecting myself and my apartment home from intruders and or someone breaking into my car.

KEEP THIS DISCUSSION civil and stick stricly to STASTICIAL facts and written laws, biased opinions that incite arguments or toll bait I will immediatly report to the administrator and bypass the mods.

Seattle is anti-gun, but Washington is as pro gun as Montana. Obviously, if you shoot an intruder in King County, you will not be in the best situation. WA does have Castle Doctrine, but remember that the jurors may be of the liberal mindset and you will have a tougher legal battle compared to more gun friendly counties, such as Pierce, Whatcom, Thurston, etc.

On another note, King County is becoming increasingly pro-gun as more conservative/pro-2A people flock to the suburbs. King County actually has a very high number of CHL holders in comparison with the rest of the country and the number is increasingly quickly. During the last attempt of a gun ban, the King County sheriff was so bombarded with CHL applications, that it was taking months to issue out all the permits.

You really need to educate yourselves on the laws and I would advise taking a self-defense class, such as a Utah/Florida CHL course, with an instructor who is well versed in WA laws. Basically, your best defense is to be on the phone with 911 making loud vocal demands for the intruder to leave and notifying them you are armed. Make sure to learn about proper defense terms, as you are "stopped a threat", "protected yourself for fear of bodily harm", etc. A cell phone should always be kept next to your firearm in your house. If you need to defend your property it would be because you have no place to retreat in your house or you have a visual of a weapon being carried by the intruder. If you shoot an intruder you will be paying more in legal fees in King County than you would probably be paying in what you had stolen from you.

You mention you don't want to carry in public, but would possibly use a gun to stop someone breaking into your car. Well, let me tell you, you would be ill-advised in Seattle to shoot or pull a gun on someone breaking into your car. That is, unless you are in the car and it is an armed robbery. I don't believe a car in the state of Washington falls into the castle doctrine category and shooting or pulling a gun on an intruder outside of your residence could possible land you in serious legal trouble. This is a tricky subject,. Here is a post about the situation. Most likely if your car is insured, you will be paying less money and risk less problems having your car stolen than pulling a gun on a car thief. If this was Texas, a whole different story probably. Then again, in Texas, a guy shot dead two burglars outside his neighbors properties who charged him (threatening his life), yet he still had a long legal battle to fight in court. Read about Joe Horn.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/leg...ead-legal.html

Another thing to think about:
Also, carrying guns in bar areas of a restaurant is restricted in WA, whether it be concealed or open carry.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 07-21-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The 2nd Amendment Foundation and Citizen's Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms are headquartered right across the water in Bellevue, stop by or call and they will be happy to bring you up to date on the laws here.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
First off, dont rely opn anything you read on thjis or any other Internet forum. There is a lot of misinformation, even in this thread. This is too important an issue to rely on someones opinion. Read the "official" policies and or case law yourself if you want to know the laws. Alternatively, listen to someone you know and whos opinion you value, or do as Hemlkock suggested in contacting an oirganization. A deffense of "....WashingtonGunBuyer said it was OK on City Forum..." will likely not go far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area