Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,932,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
Careful, I got an ugly PM when I suggested Austin in another thread!!! LOL
Ignore the haters! Austin is my second-favorite city after Seattle. It has such an interesting mix of people, and being the state capital and home of U.T., not to mention an awesome music scene, it's extremely vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM

189 posts, read 363,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Ignore the haters! Austin is my second-favorite city after Seattle. It has such an interesting mix of people, and being the state capital and home of U.T., not to mention an awesome music scene, it's extremely vibrant.
The problem with Austin is that its in Texas.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,927,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
The problem with Austin is that its in Texas.
And... ?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 PM

26 posts, read 48,178 times
Some friends from college moved down to Austin for work and they seem to like it a lot. Good economy/job market, also great place for singles I hear. But the natives seem to complain that Austin is getting less and less "weird" lol.

However the deal breaker for me is the climate. As much as I love vacationing in warm climates, for daily living I prefer cooler weather. I would take jeans, boots and a jacket over a tank top, shorts and sandals any day

For those of you who have lived in Seattle area: have any of you lived in Bellevue/east side? I visited there but always lived in Seattle.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,927,298 times
Yes, I have.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 PM

50 posts, read 105,765 times
Yeah if you can't take the heat. Then don't jump in the frying pan....I drive to Austin every week. It was 104* today. I will be moving to sattle in a couple of weeks. I'm worried about the weather there. Little sun and wet.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 PM

458 posts, read 962,389 times
Seattle has such a diversity of neighborhoods to choose from that you could find one easily that fits your vibe best and still be an easy commute to anything in SLU or downtown...As far as the economy you aren't going to do much better than Seattle for a job market filled with employment for the highly skilled...If I was going on great and solid economy full of jobs and I liked four distinct seasons I would also look at DC/Northern Virginia/Montgomery County Maryland...DC is a fun singles city!!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM

10 posts, read 13,896 times
Have you decided? My family is actually wanting to leave MPLS. We want to experience a different part of the country and Seattle is looking like the top contender. We would live outside Seattle; just like we live outside Mpls. I graduated from UW-Milwaukee and miss Lake Michigan. I think we will like living in the PNW.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,214,951 times
Kyoto. Qingdao. Fuzhou. Raleigh. Santiago. Xiamen. Busan.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,388,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsan9 View Post
Things I like about Seattle area: good job market for my career field, somewhat culturally diverse but not too economically diverse to have major crime/societal issues (here's lookin' at you, Chicago...or many others cities really), beautiful northern scenery (prefer cities surrounded by nature rather than very urban industrial or open plains I guess), the food (lots of salmon & seafood, vietnamese restaurants).

Things I don't like about Seattle area: weather can be rough for 8 months (yes its mild, but 4 distinct seasons instead of 2 seasons is nice too), distance from family in WI, fairly high COL but I realize that is to be expected.

Based on the positive criteria, can you think of any other similar cities? I can't.
Pittsburgh.

It has all of the positives you mention (except the food) along with meeting your negatives---4 seasons, 9 hours from WI and a super, super low COL.

ETA: I saw your other post about wanting to be a large body of water, like in WI. Pittsburgh is less than two hours from Lake Erie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area