Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 AM

12 posts, read 27,162 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My family of 4 is considering a move from Charlotte, NC to Seattle, WA, and I was wondering what kind of organic options are available out there? My daughter contracted E. Coli and HUS (and is thankfully okay!) in 2007 at 3 years old and since then we have been very aware of what we are eating. Are there any areas in Seattle that have more organic options readily available? Are there a lot of Farmer's Markets? Are there a lot of places to purchase grassfed beef and pasture fed pork?
Any input would be great! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 AM

542 posts, read 1,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmamato2 View Post
Hi everyone! My family of 4 is considering a move from Charlotte, NC to Seattle, WA, and I was wondering what kind of organic options are available out there? My daughter contracted E. Coli and HUS (and is thankfully okay!) in 2007 at 3 years old and since then we have been very aware of what we are eating. Are there any areas in Seattle that have more organic options readily available? Are there a lot of Farmer's Markets? Are there a lot of places to purchase grassfed beef and pasture fed pork?
Any input would be great! Thanks so much!

Everywhere you go has organic options. PCC, WholeFoods, Metropolitan Market,Thriftway, QFC, Safeway, Trader Joes--ALL of the stores carry organic options in produce, meats, dairy, etc. There is Pike Place Market (Seattle's farmer's market that is open year round) and then neighborhood farmer's markets that are open seasonally once a week (which day depends on the neighborhood you are in). You will have no problem at all finding the foods to fit your dietary needs.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,380,699 times
Like Sekhmet said, Seattle does have a ton of organic options. Even regular supermarkets are now carrying grass fed meat. A couple of the weekly farmer's markets are year round....Ballard?, and some of them carry pasture raised pork and grass fed meat..And seasonally, there are tons of weekly farmers markets....In the Columbia city neighborhood, Bob's Quality Meats sells grass fed, and in Renton, Shawn and Ted's carries organic, grass fed meat...Organic produce is everywhere, and there are a few restaurants that serve organic food.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM

251 posts, read 572,899 times
Seattle is like the organic/farmer's market/whole food mecca.
You will have absolutely NO problem finding organic foods there

Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
Seattle is like the organic/farmer's market/whole food mecca.
You will have absolutely NO problem finding organic foods there
That is wonderful to hear!!
Thanks!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Ira500 is right, my bad! Ballard is open year round:

About Ballard Farmers Market «

Here are some other local farmer's markets (some are seasonal; it says U-District's and West Seattle are year round):

Markets — Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance

Fremont Market (on Sunday's, seasonal; this link also has info on the ones in Ballard, Wallingford, Georgetown, and Olympic Sculpture Park):

Explore the Markets

There is also one in upper Queen Anne on Thursdays from 3-7, May-early October:

ABOUT | Queen Anne Farmers Market

As a PP said above, Seattle is the mecca of farmer's markets!

Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 PM

292 posts, read 1,449,698 times
And Full Circle Farms will deliver organic fruits and vegetables once a week to your home:
www.fullcirclefarm.com

Old 09-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
And Full Circle Farms will deliver organic fruits and vegetables once a week to your home:
www.fullcirclefarm.com
I have used them! They are GREAT!!! Incredible customer service. You can also opt for delivery every other week. Various delivery options. Use the coupon code TASTE to get $10-15 off of your first order (it used to be $15 but might be $10 now).

Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 AM

You all are awesome! Thanks so much for these wonderful resources!!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM

478 posts, read 786,514 times
Forget what "organic" used to mean. Any more, it's just a matter of certifying a farm to way watered-down standards compared to the past. It might give you a feel-good thing but there is little difference any more between the "organic" produce and the regular. The "organic" certification costs a lot of $, and this puts most small farmers out of that certification. Most of the true "organic" farmers can't call their produce that. (Thank Monsanto for this).

I went to my 30 year high school reunion a couple of weeks ago in Enumclaw, WA. The hosts were true organic farmers with a small farm. They sell meats and other produce that are the real thing. I won't say the name of their farm here, since that would seem like advertising. PM me if you want to know who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area