Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times

Advertisements

I love to ride my bike, but I am a little overwhelmed about riding in Seattle. In California, I have never really ridden in the street. Most people don't, unless they want to be killed by a texting actress on her way to a callback. But in Seattle I notice a lot of people riding in traffic, and frankly it looks frightening and confusing. There are sometimes bike lanes on the left, then on the right, sometimes there are green lanes, and green boxes. Sometimes there is no lane. And sometimes the roads are so narrow it just freaks me right the heck out.

Can I just ride on the sidewalk? Better yet, is there a good way to get to a paved trail from my house in Ravenna? Is there a good path through Ravenna Park? I tried to dissect the Burke-Gilman interactive map and I just got more confused. Perhaps I'm just a bit dimwitted, which is even more of a reason for some kind soul here to take pity on me and help me find my regular bike route.

Seriously, this is one of the HUGE draws for me about living in Seattle, and I am just looking for some easy to understand info. I like flat, long, paved paths specifically for biking. I know they're out there, there's just SO MUCH information to digest!

Thanks for any help. Oh, also, do they peg you for not wearing a helmet? I was surprised to read that's the law!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,051 times
It is legally allowed to ride your bike on the sidewalk but you have to give way to pedestrians. Commons sense also dictates that you should not go to fast on a sidewalk when pedestrians are around.

Google Maps actually does bike routing. So if you want to go to a certain place it'll show you how to get there on bike-lanes etc, minimizing cycling on the road. Give it a try, it usually works for me. If you're a tech geek you could even stick your smartphone to your handlebar and it's give you directions, just as the GPS in a car

Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
I think maybe it just takes getting used to. You do have to assume that most drivers aren't paying attention so don't insist on your right of way. Also, be careful so that you don't get doored from a parked car so leave some space between you and the cars parked and pay attention so that as soon as a door starts to open, you can stop or swerve. After awhile, you also get a better instinct for when you should take the lane (so that you don't get squeezed by a bus and a truck parked to the side) vs ride on the side.

Don't listen to music while you ride and stay alert. Groups of riders are good. Wearing a lot of reflective clothing is good. Lots of bright lights at night is good.

Some streets are better than others. If there is a bike lane, then it's usually not too bad. If there is no lane and the cars are driving by quickly, it's usually bad news so find an alternate route (e.g. don't ride on Aurora near downtown Seattle).

Sidewalks are ok but ride very slowly and yield to pedestrians. Many areas don't have sidewalks or have sidewalks that are very narrow, disappear at fire hydrants, etc. so sidewalks aren't so good either.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I think maybe it just takes getting used to. You do have to assume that most drivers aren't paying attention so don't insist on your right of way. Also, be careful so that you don't get doored from a parked car so leave some space between you and the cars parked and pay attention so that as soon as a door starts to open, you can stop or swerve. After awhile, you also get a better instinct for when you should take the lane (so that you don't get squeezed by a bus and a truck parked to the side) vs ride on the side.

Don't listen to music while you ride and stay alert. Groups of riders are good. Wearing a lot of reflective clothing is good. Lots of bright lights at night is good.

Some streets are better than others. If there is a bike lane, then it's usually not too bad. If there is no lane and the cars are driving by quickly, it's usually bad news so find an alternate route (e.g. don't ride on Aurora near downtown Seattle).

Sidewalks are ok but ride very slowly and yield to pedestrians. Many areas don't have sidewalks or have sidewalks that are very narrow, disappear at fire hydrants, etc. so sidewalks aren't so good either.
Yeah, I'm not like a spandex and spiky shoes kind of rider; I'm way more casual than that. I don't ride at night, never listen to music, and when I am on the sidewalk I'm always pretty slow. I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just don't come from a huge biking city.

SitoUK, I actually tried to route from my house to Burke Gilman on Google Bike Maps and it kept taking me to Golden Gardens.

Thanks for the input. I hope to find a good route to the kind of path I'm looking for - long and flat, only foot and bike traffic.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Yeah, I'm not like a spandex and spiky shoes kind of rider; I'm way more casual than that. I don't ride at night, never listen to music, and when I am on the sidewalk I'm always pretty slow. I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just don't come from a huge biking city.

SitoUK, I actually tried to route from my house to Burke Gilman on Google Bike Maps and it kept taking me to Golden Gardens.

Thanks for the input. I hope to find a good route to the kind of path I'm looking for - long and flat, only foot and bike traffic.
Start small. Trips in your neighborhood, etc. google some resources about riding in te street. You will get more comfortable.

Seattle is where I made the transition to the street, and I'm prett fearless now. Happy trails.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Don't know where your house in Ravenna is, but there is access to the Burke-Gilman at NE 25th St and NE Blakely Street(just south of 55th). 25th is a miserable street to bike on, so ride down one of the quiet parallel streets. And definitely wear a helmet! I know that helmet hair ain't pretty, but you have to assume that the folks driving cars are not going to notice you, and brain cells are nice things to keep.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Don't know where your house in Ravenna is, but there is access to the Burke-Gilman at NE 25th St and NE Blakely Street(just south of 55th). 25th is a miserable street to bike on, so ride down one of the quiet parallel streets. And definitely wear a helmet! I know that helmet hair ain't pretty, but you have to assume that the folks driving cars are not going to notice you, and brain cells are nice things to keep.
I hear ya on the helmet, but the Libertarian in me bristles.

And 25th really is a bear, isn't it? Love the access, hate the craziness!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
A recent law requires that a car passing a bicycle must remain at least 3' from the biker, meaning that the car must often stop or go into the oncoming traffic lane. Since then there has been some animosity between bicyclists and cars, but in general they get along fine. The mayor in Seattle is a big bike fan, and has actually made traffic worse by expanding bike lanes by eliminating traffic lanes. And yes, you can be ticketed for not wearing a helmet, it's not a state law, but many cities have it, including Seattle and all of King County. Unless it's been changed since I last checked the fine was $30.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Start small. Trips in your neighborhood, etc. google some resources about riding in te street. You will get more comfortable.

Seattle is where I made the transition to the street, and I'm prett fearless now. Happy trails.
Thanks! I actually finally googled what looks to be my Holy Grail route (thank you, Ira500!), at least by way of Street View. I am super excited! Happy trails to you, as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Do you have a route you are trying to traverse? Or do you just want nice places to bike? BTW, a helmet just saved my son-in-law from serious injury - so wear it! A very popular route is along Lake Washington Blvd from the U District to Seward Park. Yes, you're with cars, but there are so many bikes that cars know to look out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area