Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,215 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 45 year old male, liberal, laid back, humble, open minded, divorced, somewhat outdoorsy, BA degree, former WA state employee for 12 years looking for best western washington fit for me. Any ideas on how Olympia might fit me? Any specific areas of Olympia? Advanced appreciation for anyone that takes the time to help me. I have read many many many Olympia posts so please do not direct me to them unless you have a direct link. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Are you liberal (pro-freedom, live & let live) or progressive (in your face, revolution, anti-freedom)?

If liberal, just about anywhere in the area works. It will depend on what type of housing and what amenities you want or need to be close to.

If you are a rich progressive, then you want the South Capitol neighborhood. If you are a less wealthy progressive, the westside neighborhood around Rogers and Brawne or the just about anywhere in the eastside neighborhood north of the freeway, south of Miller Av. and west of Boulevard Rd. Rural progressives cluster near the Evergreen College, but it is a pricey area.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I think Andy's definition of liberal and progressive are colored by his own views, and are not the definitions that most people hold. People who align themselves with pro freedom, live and let live mostly call themselves libertarian, not liberal. And most people who call themselves progressive are liberals. The name liberal got a bad name in the 1980's, but really, a liberal and a progressive are pretty much the same thing. Very few people call themselves " in your face, revolution, anti-freedom", and most people who consider themselves progressives or liberals would deny that they believe in that. I'm not going on here saying that it's conservatives who want to take away people's freedoms, or that they're haters of American values. Nobody asked me. If you're not a liberal or progressive, it's fine to believe what you believe. But the guy wasn't asking for political interpretations. He's a liberal looking for a place where people who consider themselves liberal would feel comfortable. And that's where Andy and I agree. The Westside of Olympia is a good choice.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The name liberal got a bad name in the 1980's, but really, a liberal and a progressive are pretty much the same thing.
Not at all. There is a huge difference between the two. Live in Olympia and see the difference between the two yourself. The City Council for years has split half between liberals and progressives. The name liberal got a bad name because of people mislabeling progressives as liberal. Folks on the right are especially guilty of this.

I am a liberal. I am not a libertarian. I am definitely not a progressive. And certainly not a conservative, especially socially. Many people would mislabel me as a libertarian, but I am pro-government. I am just for govt. that works and is not corrupt.

The places I lay out above are totally accurate. If you are a progressive, look at those four pockets I mention above. Many liberals would NOT be comfortable in those areas IRA, so be careful when suggesting them even to people on the left. If you are liberal, moderate, libertarian, or conservative, everywhere else in the Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater area would work, as long as you are near town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area