Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,437 times

Advertisements

Been accepted to an apartment complex in Federal Way, but the reviews of the complex and area are a bit unnerving.

So many call it "ghetto".

I grew up in Pittsburgh and am in Portland now so my definition of ghetto is vastly different than most would describe on this side of the country.

Any personal opinions on Federal Way, around the Highway 99 area/mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
I grew up in Federal Way. Moved away about three years ago, but still visit my parents who live there at least twice a year. The area around the mall is not bad. Definitely not Pittsburgh style ghetto. There are some vacant big box buildings since Toys R Us closed and Target moved into the mall. Graffiti appears on the backs of the empty buildings, but that's about it.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Portland, OR? Then you should know what we view as "ghetto". Hwy 99 is simply undesirable as you have the bad elements (prostitution, drug deals, gangsta-looking people walking around) there and its visible. Lots of areas that hwy 99 runs through just looks run down as well (though the mall area is perky). People will also be quick to point out FW's "high crime rate"... but that's to be expected with such a huge mall area.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't worry. Now you might not like the area because it's too noisy (traffic, airplane path)... but then you might have a high tolerance for that. Your car's more likely to be vandalized/jacked than you getting hurt.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Be an old school person and call it Sea-Tac Mall instead of the "Commons at Federal Way" or whatever it is now! Call it Pac Hiway and go to a salmon bake at Steel Lake park. Federal Way will never seem scary to the locals or fomer locals(like me) who have watched it turn into something almost unrecognizable. in facebook type in "Secret Federal Way". Anyone who lived between Seattle and Tacoma on the Pac Hiway should identify with the stuff put on that page.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM

87 posts, read 301,533 times
Federal Way is fine but like anywhere there are some areas to stay away from. Any Apt complex or home near the I-5 freeway should not be considered.

The Federal Way Police dept website has an area that gives all the crime stats for each and every Apt complex in Federal Way. You'll be able to see which should be considered and which should be avoided. Generally speaking those near I-5 and the cheaper ones will have more crime and problems.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,437 times
Well I have such mixed opinions.

Between the apartment reviews (Highway 99 area)
Comments here.
Comments from other people i've talked to and the crime stats from the police site it has definitely left me with an unsettled feeling about it.

24 assault, 15 malicious mischief, 13 theft, 12 theft of vehicle, 106 crimes in the reported year alone.

Which sucks with only a few days left to move out of the current place.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 PM

255 posts, read 660,597 times
We lived in Federal Way and loved it..We didn't live near pacific hwy though..We were at the very end of 320th and Hoyt. Had nothing but Dash Point State Park in our backyard. Tons of hiking trails right outside our Apartment and a short hike through Dash Point down to the Puget Sound. Federal Way in general I enjoyed, and we are currently contemplating a move back to the same apartment complex. But I would suggest staying away from the 99 area. While, personally we never had any issues, it is known as a shadier part of town for a reason.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenXavier View Post
Well I have such mixed opinions.

Between the apartment reviews (Highway 99 area)
Comments here.
Comments from other people i've talked to and the crime stats from the police site it has definitely left me with an unsettled feeling about it.

24 assault, 15 malicious mischief, 13 theft, 12 theft of vehicle, 106 crimes in the reported year alone.

Which sucks with only a few days left to move out of the current place.
You have to remember, 99 covers a LOT of area. It goes pretty much all the way from Everett into Tacoma, although it changes names a couple of times along the way. Some of the areas on 99 are kind of run down, but I wouldn't count the parts in Federal Way as a particularly bad area. Most of it is retail shops. You're not going to see gangland shootings, homeless people sleeping under benches or hookers and drug dealers standing on the corners.

If you're concerned about it, then drive up from Portland and have a look at the area. You could do it on one day, since it's only a 2-3 hour drive one way. It might even be worthwhile to rent a hotel room at a weekly rate and look for an apartment after you move. Have you signed the lease agreement yet?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:35 PM

128 posts, read 264,884 times
I loved in Federal way off of 320th st not to far from pacific hwy and I will say compared to where I've live in the past like Los Angeles, Las Vegas and New York, Federal Way is not ghetto at all. I'm actually currently in Las Vegas and I am in the process of moving back to Washington and of course I want to go back to Federal Way. I absolutely loved it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area