Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 37,954 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it's not New York or LA, but my wife and I don't want to move to either of those cities. We want to live near either Seattle or Portland. My wife loves to act and has some theatrical experience in Dallas. She's interested in theater or film, large or small. It doesn't really matter which it is, although she would like to make a little money doing it, even if it's something less glamorous like voice over work. Fortunately it's not something we have to rely on. I'm sure the arts have suffered lately, but what is the theater scene like in Seattle? Is there an independent film scene like there supposedly is in Oregon? Also, is there a theater district in Seattle and, if so, where might it be? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,778 times
There is a scene, but it is nearly impossible to make a living there. Most is not for pay or a very small stipend. The Intiman (biggest theatre in Seattle) just closed in April for the rest of the year due to financial reasons (questionable still if they will be able to reopen at all). Seattle is a SMALL city. There is not really any for-pay film work (every now and again extra work), a few local commercials, theatre. Most auditions are listed on tpsonline.org. They have generals once a year (Feb.), which can assist in getting an agent. Jodi Rothfield is the major commercial agency in Seattle. Topo Swope is the agency most serious actors try to get with, but there are some other agencies.

For what it's worth, my husband and I (both actors) left Seattle for NYC last September. We also have a friend who is an equity actor and has been on Broadway several times (and on varies television series, etc). He moved to Seattle, did one show, and then got the hell out of dodge, because you cannot survive there as an actor (he went back to NYC).

Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 AM

291 posts, read 689,430 times
"Almost Live" used to be a great show here in Seattle. I should go talk to those idiots at King 5 tv here and see about getting that show back on the air only with a different younger group of people. It was a show that we had here that was like out own Seattle version of Saturday Night Live. It was awesome. Oh the good ole days.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,730 times
You will not exist as an 'actor' in Seattle. There are several small theater groups, but they are 'non-profit', and the actors perform as a hobby.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM

325 posts, read 787,969 times
Obviously Seattle is nothing like New York City (stage) or L.A. (film), but it is pretty solid in that next tier of cities in regards to stage, not so much with film. With that said, however, I am not sure how viable it is to earn money here doing that.

I also want to second that recommendation to visit Theatre Puget Sound - HOME. Probably the best place to find the information you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area