Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 AM
MFL MFL started this thread

7 posts, read 10,848 times

Advertisements

So I am moving to Seattle newt week and I am staying for about one month in the Downtown area (Moore Hotel), near Pike Place Market. Please consider that I'm a 20 years old italian guy without a driving license, here are my questions:

- what can I expect to eat for lunch and dinner?
- since I'm not 21, I won't be allowed to drink alcohol or go into night clubs. Is this correct?
- what city park would you suggest me to visit? I'm thinking about the Discovery Park...would it be a nice walk? Which beach would you most recommend?
- does public transportation work efficiently in Seattle? How late does it approximately run?
- what's the cheapest way to go to Mount Rainier by public transportation?
- would you suggest the Light Rail or the 194 bus to reach Downtown from Seatac?
- at what time do bars/restaurant generally open in the morning (for breakfast, I don't know how you call them)?
- as a seattleite is there anything you would recommend to a foreigner? Anything I need to know (for example tips)?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

(and please pardon my grammatical mistakes!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,176,908 times
Everything you need for food or drink can be found in Pike Place Market or nearby Westlake Center. I think you should explore Pike Place Market (all floors and surrounding streets) first. Restaurants, fresh food, cafes, desserts, other kinds of shopping in little stores - it's all there.

Discovery Park is the best place for long walks in Seattle, but there are many other nice parks too like Green Lake and Carkeek. The best beach for hanging out in is Alki, but the ocean water is very cold. Lake Washington warms up by August and so can be better for swimming in.

I'm not up on the latest concerning public transportation, but there used to be a variety of bus passes from short to long term that were fairly economical. I think there's a one day and a 3 day pass for visitors. You can find all answers about buses and trains here: King County Metro Online

Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 17 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,931,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
So I am moving to Seattle newt week and I am staying for about one month in the Downtown area (Moore Hotel), near Pike Place Market. Please consider that I'm a 20 years old italian guy without a driving license, here are my questions:

- what can I expect to eat for lunch and dinner?
- since I'm not 21, I won't be allowed to drink alcohol or go into night clubs. Is this correct?
- what city park would you suggest me to visit? I'm thinking about the Discovery Park...would it be a nice walk? Which beach would you most recommend?
- does public transportation work efficiently in Seattle? How late does it approximately run?
- what's the cheapest way to go to Mount Rainier by public transportation?
- would you suggest the Light Rail or the 194 bus to reach Downtown from Seatac?
- at what time do bars/restaurant generally open in the morning (for breakfast, I don't know how you call them)?
- as a seattleite is there anything you would recommend to a foreigner? Anything I need to know (for example tips)?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

(and please pardon my grammatical mistakes!)
Hey!

That is cool you are going from Italy to Seattle USA and staying in Seattle for a month! What inspired you to do make that decision recently?
Also which city/town are you from in Italy?

I went from NYC to Seattle a year ago and I like both places.

I will answer all of your questions in this section below:

Question 1: What can I expect to eat for lunch and dinner?

Seattle has a pretty good food scene from my experience. There are plenty of great lunch and dinner options. What types of foods are you looking for in particular?

Question 2: Since I'm not 21, I won't be allowed to drink alcohol or go into night clubs. Is this correct?

That is not true.

There are still some nightclubs you can go into being below 21 such as the
-Trinity nightclub in Downtown
-The HighDive in Fremont,
-Club Static in the University District
- BandOespresso in Capital Hill(BandOespresso has a cool nightlife bar section during the evening)
-El Carazon in Capital Hill.

I can also give you the exact address for those places if you want that.

There are plenty of other nightlife places too but those are the ones I know of so far.

Question 3: What city park would you suggest me to visit? I'm thinking about the Discovery Park...would it be a nice walk? Which beach would you most recommend?:

Discovery Park is a great option but there are plenty of other great options for parks too such as

-Kerry Park in Queen Anne
- Westlake park in Downtown
- Pioneer Square in Downtown.

For beach parks Alki Beach park in West Seattle is a great place to check out. There is also Carkeek beach Park in Broadview, Me-Kwa mooks beach park in West Seattle, and some other ones as well.

Question 4: Does public transportation work efficiently in Seattle? How late does it approximately run?

Public transportation does work efficiently in Seattle and with good coverage. However it is mostly buses. Most of them run until 12 30 right after midnight and start running around 5 am. But some other buses run during all hours.

Question 5: What's the cheapest way to go to Mount Rainier by public transportation?

You could easily find charted bus tours that go there and I dont think they are that expensive.

Also if you have some friends in Seattle that have a driver's license you could also go there like that.

Question 6: Would you suggest the Light Rail or the 194 bus to reach Downtown from Seatac?

They are both good options.

Question 7: What what time do bars/restaurant generally open in the morning (for breakfast, I don't know how you call them)?

I would assume around 7 am for most breakfast themed place but places that are more for lunch and dinner open at 11am-12 noon.

Question 8: As a seattleite is there anything you would recommend to a foreigner? Anything I need to know (for example tips)?

Well I am a New Yorker and Seatellite at the same time. I have lived in both places.

Other than the places I mentioned so far in the questions I answered for you, there are plenty of other cool things to do in Seattle.

I can also tell you my favorite neighborhoods, cultural events, cafes, restaurants, museums, my favorite things about Seattle, the lifestyle there, and other stuff like that about Seattle.

I hope you have a great time going from Italy to Seattle USA! I think you will like it.

Last edited by ; 06-30-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,885,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hey!

Question 2: Since I'm not 21, I won't be allowed to drink alcohol or go into night clubs. Is this correct?

That is not true.

There are still some nightclubs you can go into being below 21 such as the
-Trinity nightclub in Downtown
-The HighDive in Fremont,
-Club Static in the University District
- BandOespresso in Capital Hill(BandOespresso has a cool nightlife bar section during the evening)
-El Carazon in Capital Hill.

I can also give you the exact address for those places if you want that.

There are plenty of other nightlife places too but those are the ones I know of so far.
Well... its partially untrue. It's the law that people under 21 are not to drink/buy alcohol. You could go to Vancouver BC if you're 19+ y.o. (that what the young'ns do here).

Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,363,905 times
Route 194 no longer exists. But the light rail from the airport is great.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 AM
MFL MFL started this thread

7 posts, read 10,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hey!

That is cool you are going from Italy to Seattle USA and staying in Seattle for a month! What inspired you to do make that decision recently?
Also which city/town are you from in Italy?

I went from NYC to Seattle a year ago and I like both places.

I will answer all of your questions in this section below:

Question 1: What can I expect to eat for lunch and dinner?

Seattle has a pretty good food scene from my experience. There are plenty of great lunch and dinner options. What types of foods are you looking for in particular?

Well I am a New Yorker and Seatellite at the same time. I have lived in both places.

Other than the places I mentioned so far in the questions I answered for you, there are plenty of other cool things to do in Seattle.

I can also tell you my favorite neighborhoods, cultural events, cafes, restaurants, museums, my favorite things about Seattle, the lifestyle there, and other stuff like that about Seattle.

I hope you have a great time going from Italy to Seattle USA! I think you will like it.
Thank you all for the useful answers.

I'm from Milan and I'm going to be on a semi-vacation in Seattle. I'm sure it's a wonderful city.

I'll do the same here below for one of your answers:

1. What types of foods are you looking for in particular?

Well, pasta.
Just kidding. I was thinking about fishes or something like that. I'm not really keen on hamburgers or McDonald's kind of foods...could I expect to find something not fried to eat for example?

Then my questions:

- is it possible to walk from Pike Place Market to the Seattle Center? Or would it take me too much time?
- should I forget to visit the Olympic National Park or the pacific coast right? Too distant from Seattle? And what about the Cascades?

I'd definitely appreciate it if you could share some of your thoughts about your favorite things in Seattle.

Unfortunally Mt. Rainier looks pretty expensive, I'll see if I can afford it. Thanks anyway.
And thanks for the news about the Route 194. I'll take the light rail, then.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
You will find all the food you want, simply google the restaurants, but most have a good variety. When at Seattle Center try eating at Bucca di Beppo.
You can walk from Pike Place to Seattle Center, it will take about 1/2 hour.
The Olympic National Park, especially Hurricane Ridge is well worth the trouble, but you will have to find a tour bus unless you have a car. It takes 3 hours which includes a ferry ride. For me it's always been a lot better than Mt. Rainier to visit, and this year Rainier still has a lot of areas covered in snow that you can't get to.

Seattle Italian Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Olympic National Park - Visiting Hurricane Ridge (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 07-01-2011, 07:33 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,136,402 times
Well, we did the 'grand tour' of Italy last spring. I don't understand why you would want to move to Seattle, or the U.S. for that matter. The grass might be greener on the otherside, but in Seattle, it's greener only because of RAIN. There's no place in the world like Sorrento or Capri. If we were moving to Italy, however, I think we would want to live in Sicily. We preferred Rome over Paris because it seemed more 'real' and down-to-earth while the French seemed to be trying to turn Paris into one giant Hollywood movie set (painting ageless bronze sculptures with beautiful patina with gold paint !! and turning the Eiffel Tower into a lightshow, for Cris-sakes!!!!)
Beware!!!!! the US of A and Seattle is deffinently NOT Italy or Rome.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,885,759 times
Quote:
...could I expect to find something not fried to eat for example?
Yes, Seattle does have a good number of variety foods. Pike Place Market is a great place to check out because you have so many restaurants in the vicinity.

Quote:
Then my questions:

- is it possible to walk from Pike Place Market to the Seattle Center? Or would it take me too much time?
That's what we have the monorail set up for. Walking would definitely take too much of your time. From Pike Place Market, just head west to Westlake Center.

Or a much cheaper option, again head west (toward Pine and 3rd) and take the #3 or the #4 bus-- it'll take you straight toward Seattle Center.

Quote:
- should I forget to visit the Olympic National Park or the pacific coast right? Too distant from Seattle? And what about the Cascades?

I'd definitely appreciate it if you could share some of your thoughts about your favorite things in Seattle.

Unfortunally Mt. Rainier looks pretty expensive, I'll see if I can afford it. :
Olympic National Park, the Cascades and the Pacific coast isn't really that far from Seattle... but the issue here would be transportation. You'd have to have a car.

Depends on how much time and money you have. They do have group tours like Seattle Tours: Sightsee Seattle?s Best Attractions like the Seattle Space Needle Tour, Pike Place Market Tour, Boeing Tour And Mt. Rainier by Mini-Coach for Mt. Rainier.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,176,908 times
It's about a half hour walk from the Market: Pike Place Market to International Fountain - Google Maps

Seatle By Foot Tours | Seattle Things To Do | Seattle Walking Tours

Savor Seattle Food Tours | Guided food and cultural walking tours of Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area