Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Well... its partially untrue. It's the law that people under 21 are not to drink/buy alcohol. You could go to Vancouver BC if you're 19+ y.o. (that what the young'ns do here).
Actually, you are right. It is partially untrue, but that makes it partially true at the same time.

People under 21 can not buy and drink alcohol but they still can go to plenty of nightlife club related places in Seattle such as the ones I mentioned in my post before such as the Trinity nightclub in Downtown, Club static in University District, The Highdive in Fremont, El Carazon in Capital Hill, and BandOespresso in Capital Hill has a nightlife bar section where someone 18 to 20 years old can still go to even if they cant buy actual alcohol. I am sure there are plenty of other places in Seattle but those are the main ones I know of so far.

By the way, the years you knew me on city-data.com I was 18, and 19 years old. I turned 20 years old just a few weeks ago. So I guess I technically am a young'n. So this is how I know some of this stuff. I am the same age as the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Pike Place market has excellent seafood you could either buy yourself or go to restaurant to eat. This area has excellent salmon and crabs. Mussels and clams are also pretty good. The clams are never gritty/sandy.

This area also has lots of sushi type places and lots of asian foods. There's also french and italian places, and american places. My favorite places to eat depends. If I want Indian I go to Taste of India or this one place in Fremont. If I want Italian I go to Al Boccalino. If I want Irish food I go to Kells or if I'm feeling cheap, Finn MacCools in the U district (ONLY on St. Patrick's day). If I want pan-asian food I check out Uwajimaya for hawaiian, korean, etc. I also go to Tsukushinbo in the international district if I want Japanese, or go to Kaname, or go to Maneki (oldest restaurant in Seattle).

For a great cocktail bar, go to Zig Zag cafe (once you reach 21 ;-) because you decided to stay in Seattle).

On nice days I like going to Alki beach by the water taxi if I'm downtown, or drive there. There are bus routes that go there. Or I take a ferry to one of the islands around here. On rainy days ... well, I do whatever.

There are actually very few fried food places around here, and very few McDonald's. They do exist but much fewer than in typical American cities.

If you get tired of exploring the food around here and want a taste of the mother country, go to Al Boccalino, especially if you have a date. It's near Yesler and the waterfront.

The best thing to do while here is to explore. Have fun! You will undoubtedly find your own favorite places.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Thank you all for the useful answers.
Thanks! I am glad you found the information I posted useful for your thread subject questions.

Quote:
I'm from Milan and I'm going to be on a semi-vacation in Seattle. I'm sure it's a wonderful city.
Milan seems like a nice place in Italy especially around Piazza del Duomo.

I am glad you also think Seattle is a wonderful city.
I think you will have a great time there.

What inspired you to go on a semi-vacation to Seattle?

Quote:
1. What types of foods are you looking for in particular?

Well, pasta.
Just kidding. I was thinking about fishes or something like that. I'm not really keen on hamburgers or McDonald's kind of foods...could I expect to find something not fried to eat for example?
Well, since you mentioned Italian restaurant related foods such as Pasta there is:

-Barolo Ristorante in Downtown
-Volterra in Ballard
-Pagliacci Pizza in Capital Hill

Those places are Italian restaurants and have some seafood options and great ambiance.

Seattle also has plenty of other great restaurants for other cuisines such as Thai, Indian, Chinese, Pan asian, French, Japanese, and other stuff too which I can tell you if you want other types of foods and restaurants.

Quote:
Then my other questions:
- is it possible to walk from Pike Place Market to the Seattle Center? Or would it take me too much time?
It is a 20 to 25 block long walk from Pike Place Market to Seattle Center.
It is quite a long walk but it is an enjoyable walk for that area. If you think that walk is too long there are are plenty of buses that can go from Pike Place Market to Seattle Center.

Quote:
- should I forget to visit the Olympic National Park or the pacific coast right? Too distant from Seattle? And what about the Cascades?
I think Olympic National Park, WA Pacific coast ocean coastline, and areas of the Cascades mountain range are all great worthwhile travel possibilities.

Many areas of the Cascades mountain range are only about 1 hour-2 hours away.

However some other areas of the vast Cascades mountain range is a bit further away than that.

Areas of the WA Pacific ocean is 2 to 3 hours away.

Olympic NP is about one hour and a half-2 hours away.

Quote:
I'd definitely appreciate it if you could share some of your thoughts about your favorite things in Seattle.
Other than the places I mentioned so far in the thread subject questions I answered for you, there are plenty of other cool things to do in Seattle.

I can also tell you my favorite neighborhoods, cultural events, cafes, restaurants, museums, my favorite things about Seattle, the lifestyle there, and other stuff like that about Seattle, but I will tell you those other things about Seattle in a direct message instead. Do you want me to send that information soon too? I can also mention it in this thread other than the direct message but it might be long.

Last edited by ; 07-01-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
MFL MFL started this thread

7 posts, read 10,846 times
Ok, thank you all for the posts.

Just a few more questions and I'm done...I promise

- can I pay the ticket on the bus? If so can I pay with a credit card or should I use cash?
- tips. In Italy we are not used to them. In which cases should I leave a tip? I know this is commonly done in restaurants. But in what other situations should I tip?

@: if you could send me a direct message with the things you like most of Seattle I would definitely appreciate it. For example the music museum or anything that you consider a must-see for a foreigner. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
The bus will be $2.50 or $3 US and you can pay cash when you get on, or by credit card at a machine in the stations. People tip restaurants, baggage handlers at hotels, the hotel maid, and anyone else that has a "tip jar."
That might include coffee shops, drivers of tours (not regular bus) and
taxi drivers.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
You only really need to tip waitpersons at a restaurant, that's because most of their pay comes from tips. But that depends a lot on the service, if they're rude or make my meal unpleasant in some way, I won't tip them.

Tipping also should depend on your financial situation, in my opinion. If you have plenty of money to spend you should tip a lot, 20% or more, and do it to many people. If you don't have much money, 10% or less. Average is 15%.

You're better off getting bus passes which are easier to use and save money, but you can pay cash if you want and will only use the bus once during the day. The bus system is tricky in Seattle because sometimes you pay when getting on, sometimes when getting off, and sometimes you don't pay at all (there's a free zone downtown). I'd say when you first get on the bus, ask for a one day pass, and then later you can figure out if you want a full month pass.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM
MFL MFL started this thread

7 posts, read 10,846 times
It's fine for the restaurants, but am I supposed to tip the hotel maid even if she comes in my room everyday?

Two days and I'll finally be in Seattle. Can't tell you how excited I am.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
It's fine for the restaurants, but am I supposed to tip the hotel maid even if she comes in my room everyday?

Two days and I'll finally be in Seattle. Can't tell you how excited I am.
I always leave $5/day but only on the last day. For example, when I pack up after a 3 night stay I leave $15 on the nightstand. No tipping is required by law or anything. Have a good trip.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Oh, your Moore Hotel doesn't serve coffee! Must be owned by Seventh Day Adventists or Jehovah's Witnesses.

Not to fear, just cross the street, go south half a block, cross the street again. You'll see the Cafe D'Arte on the corner. They make good coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area