Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 AM

304 posts, read 851,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
I have to disagree with you on one issue. There is no excuse for an older person to be overweight. The problem of being overwight, at any age, but particularly senior citizens is that they are more suseptiable to heart conditions and dybetus, leading to death. What they must do is get off their fat asses and EXERCISE AND EAT THE PROPER FOODS. They can be just as active as younger people, -all they have to do is just do it.
I'm a senior citizen approaching 80, I go to the nearby '24 Hour Fitness Center' to work out three days a week and on Sunday morning before going to church I swim 20 laps in their lap pool. My wife and I also go the the nearby 'Washington Dance Club' to dance on Friday or Sunday night (we can salsa, mambo, cha-cha, rumba, bolero, samba, Argentine tango, merengue, hustle, waltz, fox-trot, quick-step, swing, jive, -you name it) as well as work in our garden. There is no excuse for a senior citizen not to keep busy, -unless you're already infirmed. But then again, if you exercised and ate the proper food you probably wouldn't be infirmed in the first place.
Although it's great that you and your wife are in good shape I have to caution you not to be too quick to judge. I'm sure you know that some older people who look fat are actually bloated from dialysis and the medications they have to take. Some of them do exercise. You just can't tell. Others suffer from severe arthritis which makes every small movement excruciatingly painful from standing up from a chair to opening a jar. Obviously you and your wife were blessed to not have major mobility problems or have to take bloating medications. Be thankful for the blessing of being well enough to get in a good work out in your old age, and perhaps a bit more compassionate toward those whose health challenges do not even allow them to stand up straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,376,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Um, yeah, all I've got to say about "classified as overweight" is this:
No Spanish chicken. Riis rules out Rasmussen for Vuelta. | Twisted Spoke
BMI 19.8.
Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum apparently has been on a weight gain kick with the goal of packing on another ten pounds. Dangerous territory that. It would put him at a BMI of 24.8, one Double-Double away from joining the ranks of Fat America. He'd be in good company with the other two-thirds of professional baseball players who are already there.

moderator interpose: We'd like to keep the topic as specific to Seattle as possible. Many of the posts in this thread seem to be discussing weight and fitness in general terms. We'd like those discussions to be done in the forum designated for Exercise and Fitness. Thanks.
To bring it back to Seattle, Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum is a Seattle area native, went to high school in Renton, and to the UW. When other baseball players were testing positive for steroids, Lincecum tested positive for marijuana. He's one of the fittest and best athletes out there, throws a baseball close to 100 miles per hour, and looks like a vampire.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,137,933 times
Washington Dance Club is upstairs on the corner of Stewart and Boren, about two blocks down from the '24 Hour Fitness Center' where we work out. It was formerly called 'The Avalon Ballroom', and is the last remaining original ballrooms in Seattle. The ambiance is just great, -think Ginger Rogers and Fred Astair dance movies of the '20's and '30's. A mother/daughter team own and run the place and are great people.
Get on their mailing list: www.washingtondance.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area