Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:53 PM

710 posts, read 1,403,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitnolonger View Post
Wow, thanks for this! I've been planning on staying at an extended stay hotel of some sort but was having trouble finding one that might take my pets. This gives me some more options I wasn't aware of.

I know you didn't post it for me, but still, thanks!!!!!!
Ha, no problem, glad I could help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
Same boat here. I have a PA address, attempting a Seattle relocation. Not sure if I should just pack up and go, or hang out and keep at it. Anyone on here connected with an insurance claims organization in Seattle?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 PM

710 posts, read 1,403,012 times
Honestly, it just really depends on your skills and a little bit of luck. I don't feel I have any 'special' skills that others locally would not have in my field (tech), so even though I've gotten phone interviews, I never get further than that since I believe i don't have enough 'extra' to justify a relocation by the company (apparently even if I pay my own way). However, I do have over 6 years of experience at my current job (first out of college), so that helps.

You will probably get some bites, but don't be surprised if it doesn't go beyond the phone interview. It's best to have an ultimate plan, so say if you haven't gotten anything within six months, you plan to move without a job. That way, three or so months prior to your move date, you can add to your cover letter you will actually be in Seattle on this date, and you might get a job before you arrive. Other than that, save, save, save!

I'm planning on moving next March if I don't find anything between now and then. I have trips in September, January and February to make myself available for any possible interviews. If nothing happens, I feel comfortable enough financially that I can get by for 18 months or more on my savings. Of course, I hope to find something decent within the first 6 months as I don't want to deplete all my savings. At this point, I feel I have nothing to lose other than money...

Basically, if you want something bad enough, you need to take the actions to make it happen!

Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM

20 posts, read 27,885 times
Hi everyone, sorry I didn't know there were more comments until today. Guess the website is slow at letting us know. I moved out here July 4th, rented an apartment July 6th. Still looking for work though. I had one unexpected phone interview yesterday that ended up with giving me a group session interview next week. I also have another phone interview today that I believe will go well. I do pretty well with phone interviews, if all goes as planned, I'll have an in person interview within a week. I also have a webinar interview tonight with another company, but that one I'm a bit leery of. Best of luck to everyone.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,172 times
Default Move to Seattle-Concered about finding work

Hi there,
I would say if you have savings and you know you want to move-go for it. Life is short. But be prepared to look for a job, for awhile. I moved out here from Ohio about 2 years ago and was not able to find steady work-but was able to become self-employed and I am much happier than I have ever been. Can you find something on the side that you can start now like Mary Kay or Scentsy? I know that is a good second source of income if you really like it and are not afraid to make new friends and meet people. You will likely want to do that anyway. You can get started now and grow your business once you get here.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM

21,991 posts, read 15,802,756 times
I cannot imagine a place like Seattle welcoming a Mary Kay salesperson. If someone even utters the word Amway, I run the other way. If someone knocks on our door and we don't know them, we don't open door at all. Prevents the whole "telling them no" situation.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 AM

I moved out here a month ago, and am still looking for work. Have had a few interviews, and am still waiting to hear back. I thought it would be a little easier having 3 college degrees and 2+ years of professional work experience, but it hasn't been. I've even applied for retail and grocery stores and movie theaters, etc. Nadda yet. I'm positive though it will work out soon. I've worked far too hard and too long for it not to Best of luck to everyone searching.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 AM

422 posts, read 819,890 times
I will include you in my prayers (terizz); people like you we all should truly root for. Afterall, immigrants have been coming to our country and succeeding for years because of their determination. It's good to see that there are some of us left that are just as determined as ever. Kudos to you!!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Thank you. This AM I went to a job fair for the parking management that hires for parking attendants to work the baseball, football games, and concerts. As long as I get to the drug test and pass it and the criminal check I'll be working at least part time starting in a few weeks. It's something to start. And something right now is better than nothing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area