Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:49 PM

52 posts, read 91,208 times

Advertisements

Hello,

After living here in Milwaukee for the past 7 years (I moved here from Indiana), I've decided I want to move. Reasons include wanting a different job (I work as a file clerk for the city govt... what's happening in Madison doesn't exactly thrill me) and wanting a different local culture (someplace with a better educated populace, less Rust Belt-problems, a more diverse job market/economy/local culture, etc.).

So far, I've narrowed down my choices to Seattle, Minneapolis or Chicago (a Canadian city like Toronto would be a choice as well, but too much of a long shot I figure...). As I live near Chicago now/been there a zillion times, I'm familiar with there. However, I'm less familiar with Minneapolis (only been through it via train) or Seattle (also only been through it, en route to Portland, where I did live for awhile).

I'm planning to go on a week-long trip to Seattle (the city I'm leaning toward) in a few weeks to look it over, and possibly even try to secure housing/line up temp work while I'm there if it works out. Still, I thought I'd look into other cities as well.

Thus, thought I'd ask a few questions about Seattle:

1. Work-wise, I'd like to do either something clerical and/or make use of my nonfiction writing skills (I have a BA in professional writing from Purdue, and currently blog/write some freelance articles), such as technical writing, copywriting, etc. Trying to get hired from a distance isn't going well, however (and not being a programmer, I suppose I'm not as high in demand), so I thought I could try lining up temp work (and look for permanent work once there). While I know there seems to be some demand there for technical writers, what's the economy like in other areas? Is there much demand for temp work (clerical or in technical areas) there now?

2. I have some money saved up, of course, and have looked over some apartment ads online. I want to live alone (roommates have never worked out well for me), and would like something like a one-bedroom apartment (I currently live in a small studio). Is $800-$900/month enough, not enough, or too much, to budget for?

3. How does Seattle compare to Minneapolis or Chicago in your opinion? Or for that matter, Portland? I lived in Portland for awhile in the early 2000s, and liked it there, but couldn't find work so had to move. While I have more resources, etc. available now, I don't want a repeat of that experience...

4. Do Seattleites (sp?) visit Vancouver/BC/Canada much at all, or think about there much? Or vice-versa? Living near Canada would be one plus of living in Seattle for me.

If it matters, I'm a single African-American male in his mid-30s, with no car (I'd be taking the bus). Having lived virtually my entire life in the midwest, I'm also used to midwest-style winter weather/long months of overcast skies, so "even more overcast skies" isn't going to depress me. I'm not much of an outdoorsman, so fishing, skiing, etc. won't interest me. I've also applied to various jobs there (and in Minneapolis, Chicago, etc.), but no response so far; suspect nobody will hire me without living there first. I've also heard about Seattle not being the most friendly locale (less friendly than Portland?), but as I don't have the strongest social life (or feel a need to talk to strangers on the bus---I always wear headphones), I figure I'll be fine.

My interests include writing, animation, comics, technology/Linux, politics/current events, and some exercise (which I've slacked on lately).

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 PM

232 posts, read 805,907 times
That's a lot of questions, but I'll answer a few.

Yes, a lot of people head up to Vancouver BC for road trips.

I personally prefer Seattle over Chicago because it's still a big lively city, but not quiet as overwhelming as Chicago.

You are mistaken about people in Seattle not being friendly. They are extremely friendly. But they keep their distance and some can be pretty flakey (Google "Seattle freeze"). I remember one of my friends telling me to stay away from a certain restaurant because the waitresses were rude. I went anyways, and found them to be friendlier than any waitress I'd ever encountered in Chicago.

Too bad you're not into the outdoors. I think the outdoor attractions is what actually makes Seattle somewhat bearable for many people.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
That's a lot of questions, but I'll answer a few.

Yes, a lot of people head up to Vancouver BC for road trips.

I personally prefer Seattle over Chicago because it's still a big lively city, but not quiet as overwhelming as Chicago.

You are mistaken about people in Seattle not being friendly. They are extremely friendly. But they keep their distance and some can be pretty flakey (Google "Seattle freeze"). I remember one of my friends telling me to stay away from a certain restaurant because the waitresses were rude. I went anyways, and found them to be friendlier than any waitress I'd ever encountered in Chicago.

Too bad you're not into the outdoors. I think the outdoor attractions is what actually makes Seattle somewhat bearable for many people.
Yes, just kept seeing threads here and elsewhere online debating how friendly Seattleites are. That said, I've never made friends easily, and I don't recall Portland treating me particularly badly/rudely (roommates I had aside, though more related to my lousy luck with roommate situations).

How would you compare Seattle to, say, Minneapolis?

Also, how is the economy there right now? Would getting work (even temp work) in clerical areas and/or a job using my writing skills (technical writing, etc.) be possible?

Finally, what would the minimum for a one-bedroom apartment (in a decent enough neighborhood) be like?

Thanks...

Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Forgot to ask also: what neighborhoods would be recommended to live in, given my above criteria?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM

476 posts, read 1,135,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynotes View Post
Thus, thought I'd ask a few questions about Seattle:

1. While I know there seems to be some demand there for technical writers, what's the economy like in other areas? Is there much demand for temp work (clerical or in technical areas) there now?

- Look up unemployment rates by city.
- Look up GDP per capita by city. A larger market will tend to have a larger business infrastructure to support it.
- Check out Indeed and other meta search job sites in your fields of interest. Take the amount of listings in Seattle and divide by metro population. You'll find out whether Seattle has (e.g.) one technical writing job for every 5,000 people where Chicago has one for every 2200 persons. Do this for all 3 cities in your fields of interest. Of course, not every person in the metro area is a technical writer competing for those jobs but you get a topside glance at the job market. Keep in mind since the population in Seattle is more educated overall; you may have more competition for jobs that require a degree.

2. I have some money saved up, of course, and have looked over some apartment ads online. I want to live alone (roommates have never worked out well for me), and would like something like a one-bedroom apartment (I currently live in a small studio). Is $800-$900/month enough, not enough, or too much, to budget for?

- Depends on where you wanna live. First, pinpoint your desirable nabes and check out Craigslist and rent.com for 1 bedrooms any given day. In some of the more walkable/trendy neighborhoods, that price range can get you a studio.

3. How does Seattle compare to Minneapolis or Chicago in your opinion? Or for that matter, Portland? I lived in Portland for awhile in the early 2000s, and liked it there, but couldn't find work so had to move. While I have more resources, etc. available now, I don't want a repeat of that experience...

- I can't imagine it's a fair comparison as all 3 cities vary widely in size. If you want "walkable", you need to be in Chicago. You mentioned taking the bus. It's unusually expensive and less efficient in Seattle. Go to each city's public transportation sites to ensure you properly budget. Seattle buses get stuck in traffic, in Chicago you can take the EL...cheaper.

If it matters, I'm a single African-American male in his mid-30s, with no car (I'd be taking the bus). ... I'm not much of an outdoorsman, so fishing, skiing, etc. won't interest me.
I see little point living in Seattle if you're not into the outdoors and you don't have a job keeping you there. For your needs: walkable, public transport, already accustomed to long winters, not outdoorsy/ample entertainment indoors,... I'd think Chicago is your best bet.

Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,730 times
Your first problem is the cost of living. A small 1-bedroom basement apartment will cost you about $1200 a month. You will be paying higher taxes on everything. Seattle is one of the most expensive towns to live outside of San Francisco. Since you don't seem much interested in what Seattle is known for, then it may not be the right choice for you.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,603,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Since you don't seem much interested in what Seattle is known for, then it may not be the right choice for you.
That has zero to do with anything. The OP is visiting to see if he likes the city, which is advisable in any circumstance. There isn't a test you have to pass to move to Seattle.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 PM

138 posts, read 464,154 times
We just moved here from Madison this month WI neighbor! My husband got a job with Microsoft. Have you already checked out the job databases for some of the big companies like Amazon, Google, or Microsoft?

I miss Madison a lot, mostly because I loved our house there and the neighborhood we were in. It is definitely a different way of life but I'm trying to look towards the future and not dwell on what I gave up. The traffic is heavier here and the cost of living is higher. But the rain is not bad - it is light and comes and goes for the most part. The cloudy days are frequent but often you have cloudy but bright days - it is not all rainy and gloomy like the popular negative assumptions are about the area. We found a home to rent that has great window placement and lets in a lot of natural light.

Are people less "friendly" here? I think that's a completely subjective opinion to have. I think you're less likely to find out a strangers life story within 5 minutes of meeting them but that was never one of my favorite parts of Madison so I'm ok with that more reserved friendliness. We were never ones to go meet the neighbors and become friends with them. We smiled and waved but went on about our business on our own.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 PM

66 posts, read 144,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsincredible View Post
We just moved here from Madison this month WI neighbor! My husband got a job with Microsoft. Have you already checked out the job databases for some of the big companies like Amazon, Google, or Microsoft?

I miss Madison a lot, mostly because I loved our house there and the neighborhood we were in. It is definitely a different way of life but I'm trying to look towards the future and not dwell on what I gave up. The traffic is heavier here and the cost of living is higher. But the rain is not bad - it is light and comes and goes for the most part. The cloudy days are frequent but often you have cloudy but bright days - it is not all rainy and gloomy like the popular negative assumptions are about the area. We found a home to rent that has great window placement and lets in a lot of natural light.

Are people less "friendly" here? I think that's a completely subjective opinion to have. I think you're less likely to find out a strangers life story within 5 minutes of meeting them but that was never one of my favorite parts of Madison so I'm ok with that more reserved friendliness. We were never ones to go meet the neighbors and become friends with them. We smiled and waved but went on about our business on our own.
madison a great town, especially if you live in a good area.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,828,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Hmmm I pay 1200 a month for a 3 bedroom townhouse in Columbia city Area. Its close to the light rail and very nice. It maybe 1200 for a new apartment in downtown but just 2 years ago I was paying 600 a month at balfour place on minor st I liked it also . That was downtown.
k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area