Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM

52 posts, read 91,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsincredible View Post
We just moved here from Madison this month WI neighbor! My husband got a job with Microsoft. Have you already checked out the job databases for some of the big companies like Amazon, Google, or Microsoft?
I've applied for a few jobs with Amazon and Microsoft (technical writing jobs), but suspect either I don't have enough experience/"right background" or they'd rather not deal with someone who doesn't already live in the area, the main two reasons I figure my job search hasn't gone well (I've been applying for jobs in Seattle, as well as backup choices Minneapolis and Chicago, and even long-shot choice Toronto).

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM

138 posts, read 464,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynotes View Post
I've applied for a few jobs with Amazon and Microsoft (technical writing jobs), but suspect either I don't have enough experience/"right background" or they'd rather not deal with someone who doesn't already live in the area, the main two reasons I figure my job search hasn't gone well (I've been applying for jobs in Seattle, as well as backup choices Minneapolis and Chicago, and even long-shot choice Toronto).

Good luck!
Don't get discouraged if you don't hear back right away. I know the MS hiring process is really long. My husband initially applied for his position about 10 months prior to his start date. Not intending to be offensive but they will work down their list from most desirable applicant to least desirable. And yes, proximity probably does help bump up the desirability factor. BUT, even if you are out of state, if they want you for a FT non-contract position, they will take good care of you with their standard relocation package.

So it is up to you what kind of risks you are willing to take. You can eat the cost of relocation yourself and probably get more action from potential employers. But you'd also be eating up your cushion of savings between moving and finding that job. Or if your current situation is tolerable for the foreseeable future, just hang tight and wait to see what happens. I have heard suggestions of buying a Package service box in the Seattle area and using that as a local address but leave your current out of state cell phone info. Might someone be peeved to find out that you actually live out of state and need to be flown in for an interview and relocation expenses, etc? Maybe. But at least you've gotten them to consider you as an application and again, if they really want you, they won't care about the relocation expenses.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Thanks, mrsincredible. I've moved in the past on my own to look for work (or try to), not having had a job that paid relocation expenses (or anything that fancy) before.

Currently pondering my visit to Seattle next week!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

@mrsincredible: Think I forgot to mention I moved to Wisconsin from Indiana, so no connections to here (no friends/family, etc.), besides my job... guess might be different for you...

Another question: what's Ballard like as a neighborhood to live in? It sounds nice, but thought I'd ask...

Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM

I've just come back (well, now coming back; at the airport now...) from spending a week out in Seattle. I've summed up a daily tally of my thoughts on the Emerald City here:

Seattle | Anthony's Notes

Overall, despite the concerns I noted in the blog posts, I could see myself living in Seattle (or at least Ballard/Fremont/Wellingford(sp?)), though someone would have to hire me before moving, judging from the expense for apartments. Also still considering the alternative choices (going to Chicago or Minneapolis).

Thanks for everyone's remarks...

Old 05-07-2011, 05:13 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,811,140 times
Seattle versus Milwaukee, hmmmmmm...

No thought here: Move to Seattle! Escape the high crime rate and excruciatingly cold winters with whipping winds from Lake Michigan.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 PM

138 posts, read 464,180 times
Hi Anthony,

I read your most recent blog post. Seattle is, generally speaking, a Very Liberal city. The variety of seafood and Asian food is considered by many to be a plus about the location! As for the high(er) percentage of Asian population - yes, it is different from the Mid-West. Something that you would have to get used to. It *is* a different culture here (every city is unique in its own way) and you may experience some culture shock as you get acclimated. But I've been here a month and so far it is really growing on me. There is SO MUCH to do here. You'll never lack for interesting places to go. As for meeting interesting people, that's for each individual to make the effort - or not.

Good luck on the job hunting!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsincredible View Post
Hi Anthony,

I read your most recent blog post. Seattle is, generally speaking, a Very Liberal city. The variety of seafood and Asian food is considered by many to be a plus about the location! As for the high(er) percentage of Asian population - yes, it is different from the Mid-West. Something that you would have to get used to. It *is* a different culture here (every city is unique in its own way) and you may experience some culture shock as you get acclimated. But I've been here a month and so far it is really growing on me. There is SO MUCH to do here. You'll never lack for interesting places to go. As for meeting interesting people, that's for each individual to make the effort - or not.

Good luck on the job hunting!
Yes, the liberal aspects of Seattle appeal to me. And yes, guess would be very different from here (the food reasons alone :-p ). As for the job hunt, that's another issue altogether (hard to get hired without living in another city first, apparently)...

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,285 times
I am a single male living in Green Bay and am interested in moving to Seattle and found your blog quite helpful! I thoroughly enjoy Asian cuisine and love having food that I normally don't have exposure to. And as you said, the weather there can't be worse than here hahaha. The cost of living does seem intimidating though.
But even Milwaukee would be an improvement from Green Bay (it is a very friendly crime-less city, but there is nothing to do!)

Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 PM

To give an update on my doings, I'm currently trying to decide between either Seattle or (after some changing my mind) Boston, with Chicago as a possible "alternate" choice. I recently visited Boston (thoughts on Boston here), and found it a nice city. Still, housing seems expensive there (even moreso than Seattle) plus it sounds like a bit of a housing crunch (from the university students at the hostel i was staying at having a tough time finding housing). It sounds like I'd definitely have to have a roommate in Boston (versus *possibly* living by myself in Seattle, though not sure if $900/month will be enough for that even there). Thus, wondering if Seattle would be easier to move to just for housing reasons alone (though either way, I'd have to take off for a week to visit either city to look for housing, and hope I found something before the time was up...).

For work, nothing's turned up in either city (or any other), so I was considering arranging temp work before moving.

If anyone has any thoughts on Seattle vs. Boston, I'd like to hear them... thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area