Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 01:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,517,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Which is why I look at real studies and the data generated that clearly demonstrates that the exponential trends of computers are not continuing at the rate it should if you were to extrapolate from the historical growth rate into the indefinite future.
Then check back in 13 years to see who was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,294,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Then check back in 13 years to see who was right.
No need to do that as the trend currently shows that technological change clearly has slowed.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
No need to do that as the trend currently shows that technological change clearly has slowed.
Its speeding up

Technology Feels Like It’s Accelerating — Because It Actually Is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/singula...tually-is/amp/

Old 06-25-2017, 03:13 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,294,351 times
Nature (Journal of Science) vs. a Singularity Website.

The chips are down for Moore’s law

Old 06-25-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Nature (Journal of Science) vs. a Singularity Website.

The chips are down for Moore’s law
Moore's law will end. Then we will move to the next paradigm, 3 chips.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,743,846 times
Quote:
I think Bill Nye makes an accurate assessment.

Bill Nye Disses Ray Kurzweil's Singularity Prediction
Quoting Bill Nye from the link:
“I’m skeptical, especially about these extraordinary timelines — 2029? [To pass the Turing Test] What is that, 12 years from now? No! No.” Nye said. “I’m not concerned, because humans make the machines. Sooner or later, to put it in old terms, somebody’s got to shovel the coal to make the electricity run the machine.”

I think that passing the Turing Test by 2029 is not implausible, but it seems to me that progress toward AI has been slower than expected over the past couple of decades, so I can also see a plausible reason to think it might take longer. There are some critical unknowns at this point. One, in my view, is the relationship between intelligence and qualia (i.e., the feelings or there being "something it is like" to do the thinking). If non-qualia-experiencing machines can beat a rigorous form of the Turning Test, then I'd say 2029 is a very reasonable prediction. But that "if" harbors an important assumption that I think some technophiles are not sufficiently considering. It could be that qualia are the key to the sort of ultra-contextualized thinking that human do.

Suppose you see a butterfly in your yard this morning. Immediately you "know" a FAPP infinite number of facts without even thinking about them (i.e., without consciously knowing that you know them). Just a few examples: You know that there was a butterfly between the houses at two different addresses (yours and your neighbors). You know there was a yellow object in your yard that was probably not there last January. You know that it probably wasn't there last February either. And so on, ad infinitum. And given this vast knowledge, you can almost instantly become consciously aware of all of these facts (seemingly) without having to do extensive memory searches or complex logic strings, etc. Maybe there are perfectly mechanical ways in which the brain does this (perhaps some combination of neural net processing and quantum computing tricks?) and these mechanical tricks can be applied to quantum computers by 2029, but on the other hand, it is possible that qualia are not strictly mechanical and possible that qualia are necessary for realistically handling human-like intelligence. In that case, the 2029 prediction would probably be overly optimistic.

My guess: Qualia are not strictly necessary for passing a standard Turing Test and machines probably will pass the TT by 2029. But qualia probably are necessary for more genuinely human-like intelligence (I'd say they play a causal role in our behaviors) and thus machine's probably won't pass a really deep version of the TT unless they experience qualia. (E.g., A human-like embodied android could pass a 10-day version of the TT if he set that as his goal, but if you were to marry him without realizing that he is a machine and live with him for decades, you might still conclude (on the basis of behavior alone) that he is a machine, despite his bests efforts to maintain the TT trick over the decades). This is assuming, of course, that he doesn't experience qualia. But, then again, maybe any machine that is complex enough to pass the TT just naturally starts to experience qualia. That's the critical wildcard. Without an adequate theory of the relationship between mechanical laws and qualia, we are really just guessing. Still, if I could lay down some investment cash, I'd bet on passing the TT by 2029. I'm less confident about the singularity by 2045, but I would probably still bet on it, if I had to place a bet. We are already well on our way to integrating biology and machines. Barring some nuclear catastrophe, world-wide anti-tech political movement, zombie apocalypse, etc., I expect something essentially "singularity-like" to happen by 2060. But, really, does it matter if it is 2045 or 2060 or 2160 or 2260?

I'm curious to know: Does anyone in this thread think that machines will probably never surpass human intelligence?

Old 06-28-2017, 04:15 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,610,011 times
Quote:
Which is why I look at real studies and the data generated that clearly demonstrates that the exponential trends of computers are not continuing at the rate it should if you were to extrapolate from the historical growth rate into the indefinite future.
Nice to see another voice of reason on here. I've tried before to explain to him that research and experiments take time. He seems to believe that once we discover something we'll have said tech in a few years and that's not always the case. He's confident on the singularity happening in late 20s or early 30s because of the blue brain project which is supposed to map the Human brain to the molecular level and is estimated to be completed sometime between 2019-2023. Now completing the project doesn't mean we'll have revolutionary tech in a few years. After all we mapped the human genome in 2003 and we have yet to get anything revolutionary out of it.

Now one thing I do agree with him is that we will achieve a singularity type world, I simply don't agree we're as close as he claims we are.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Nice to see another voice of reason on here. I've tried before to explain to him that research and experiments take time. He seems to believe that once we discover something we'll have said tech in a few years and that's not always the case. He's confident on the singularity happening in late 20s or early 30s because of the blue brain project which is supposed to map the Human brain to the molecular level and is estimated to be completed sometime between 2019-2023. Now completing the project doesn't mean we'll have revolutionary tech in a few years. After all we mapped the human genome in 2003 and we have yet to get anything revolutionary out of it.

Now one thing I do agree with him is that we will achieve a singularity type world, I simply don't agree we're as close as he claims we are.
Look at how much we have advanced since this thread started in 2012. In fact we are on track if not ahead of many of the predictions made back then especially when it comes to things like VR and wearable technology. The next step after wearable tech is merging with it why I still argue that will happen by 2030. Then watch out as things will really advance fast why I call 2030 the singularity.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,003,581 times
Default science fiction novels

William H. Keith-using the pen name "Ian Douglas"-tends to include super intelligent AI. Some originate on the Earth, others have extraterrestrial origin. The ones of extraterrestrial origin tend to be even more formidable than the ones of Earthly origin, being from higher tiers in terms in intelligence/technology/raw power.

Gregory Benford's galactic core novels. Humanity is confronted by a "mechciv" (mechanical civilization) of extraterrestrial origin.

A common theme is that of humanity as the underdog. Of being severely outclassed.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-29-2017 at 12:16 AM..

Old 06-29-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobinvans View Post
I think this thread is a great example that people watch too much television
I can see where it can look that way. Then again my life today with my smart phone, virtural reality, partially driverles suv, 3d tv and movies etc makes my life a science fixtion movie when I was in high school in the late 80's. So wait 13 years "you ain't seen nothing yet"!

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-29-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology