Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,096 times

Advertisements

I have two kids who would be 16 and 7 at the time of the move. Older one is in college placement classes and I need a really good high school. We originally were looking in Tarpon Springs area but Bradenton area is attractice also.

We currently live in Annapolis, MD. Very low crime, very laid back, very safe. Anything like that there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Well, Bradenton is a very laid back kind of town. If you stay East, you will be very safe and comfortable. Central Bradenton has it's share of crime. My suggestion would be to look into East Bradenton. Specifically on Sr 70. The HS out there is Braden River HS and is the best one of the three. Unless you can consider a private HS? Then you could consider Bradenton Christian. Sr 70 is also easy access to the State College of Florida. The elementary schools on East Sr 70 are top rated as well. Sr 70 subdivisions are nice and I could be more helpful if I knew your price range..The other HS's in Manatee County are Lakewood Ranch and Palmetto which is not a good option. Lakewood Ranch is decent, and would place you further North, with average elementary schools. My husband worked for the district, and I was a teacher there for some time..

Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
What about looking at Sarasota county? Their school system is excellent. Here are two places where you can look to get some opinions and stats on the schools in Florida. You might want to look into Riverview High in Sarasota county. They have a fantastic IB program, from what I've been told. Or if he qualified Pine View School, which is the top rated public school in the state of Florida. It requires an IQ of 130, teacher recommendations, an achievement test and certain grades to attend. I have two kids that attend Pine View and we love it.

School Accountability Report...
www.greatschools.com

Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Well, Bradenton is a very laid back kind of town. If you stay East, you will be very safe and comfortable. Central Bradenton has it's share of crime. My suggestion would be to look into East Bradenton. Specifically on Sr 70. The HS out there is Braden River HS and is the best one of the three. Unless you can consider a private HS? Then you could consider Bradenton Christian. Sr 70 is also easy access to the State College of Florida. The elementary schools on East Sr 70 are top rated as well. Sr 70 subdivisions are nice and I could be more helpful if I knew your price range..The other HS's in Manatee County are Lakewood Ranch and Palmetto which is not a good option. Lakewood Ranch is decent, and would place you further North, with average elementary schools. My husband worked for the district, and I was a teacher there for some time..

My mom lived out there in the Braden River area even but couldnt stand how gangs werent too far from her house so she moved all the way out to Parrish. Only a good extreme short term move it looks, for the long term, that will not look like a good move. Homes already have mailboxes with paint peeling off, ****tier yards than it was "supposed to look" and still many foreclosures.
This is why I like renting, you can always leave a place when its bad and then move back when the place your at got worse. Harder when you own homes and do that.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM

My parents live in the Braden River area, as well as friends of ours.. we have never seen any gangs in that area nor heard them complain of problems? Where does your mom live exactly?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
My parents live in the Braden River area, as well as friends of ours.. we have never seen any gangs in that area nor heard them complain of problems? Where does your mom live exactly?

You mean where did she live? Right by Royal Palm theatre in Hammock Place.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 AM

52 posts, read 138,610 times
Hi Janie. I used to live in Annapolis, in Amberley, and really liked the area.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Manatee High School (west Bradenton). It has a truly excellent guidance department. I know many students there in AP/honors classes. If you are considering private schools, I recommend Saint Stephens over the others, although it is more expensive.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 PM

You're right, Manatee is a very good HS, but my opinion of that area could be better. I live in that area and we aren't too happy. No offense to anyone living in that area, but I could find better areas to recommend to a new buyer..

Old 04-04-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
You mean where did she live? Right by Royal Palm theatre in Hammock Place.
Well, in that case, that would be why your mom was so unhappy. The area you mention is not Braden River School district. It's Oneco school district which would probably be Harlee MS. Not really an area I'd recommend

Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
You're right, Manatee is a very good HS, but my opinion of that area could be better. I live in that area and we aren't too happy. No offense to anyone living in that area, but I could find better areas to recommend to a new buyer..
Surely not Lakewood Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area