Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 AM

7 posts, read 21,969 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Bradenton. That is, UNTIL reading some of these postings. Is it really that bad??? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM

17 posts, read 46,112 times
tngirl1031......

Hey, just wanted to tell you that my wife and I bought a home in Bradenton last March (2008). Although we won't be moving there full time until our retirement in Feb. 2010, we did spend a significant amount of time there in the last year.
We absolutely love it there!!!

Everything is close - beaches, shopping, entertainment, etc.... Although Sarasota is nice, we are only literally minutes away....and the real estate is much more reasonable in Bradenton for comprable properties.

I've also seen a lot mentioned here about the crime rate.
I am still active in law enforcement, and I have to say that (unfortunately) there is crime everywhere! Bradenton is no different......however, I will say that it is no different than any city (including Sarasota - regardless of what some on here will tell you).
If you are responsible and use common sense, you will not have any problems in Bradenton.

The bottom line is, we love it!! We did look at some properties in Sarasota (and surrounding areas) and I think we made the best choice - for us.

I think you should rely on what you see with your own eyes - and the facts!

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
Parts of Bradenton are that bad. Parts of Bradenton are not. As a general rule, if the street address ends in the direction East it is not going to be a nicer part of town. NW Bradenton is still nice.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,148,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV1955 View Post
tngirl1031......

Hey, just wanted to tell you that my wife and I bought a home in Bradenton last March (2008). Although we won't be moving there full time until our retirement in Feb. 2010, we did spend a significant amount of time there in the last year.
We absolutely love it there!!!

Everything is close - beaches, shopping, entertainment, etc.... Although Sarasota is nice, we are only literally minutes away....and the real estate is much more reasonable in Bradenton for comprable properties.

I've also seen a lot mentioned here about the crime rate.
I am still active in law enforcement, and I have to say that (unfortunately) there is crime everywhere! Bradenton is no different......however, I will say that it is no different than any city (including Sarasota - regardless of what some on here will tell you).
If you are responsible and use common sense, you will not have any problems in Bradenton.

The bottom line is, we love it!! We did look at some properties in Sarasota (and surrounding areas) and I think we made the best choice - for us.

I think you should rely on what you see with your own eyes - and the facts!

Good luck on whatever decision you make.
Just curious, what do they do in MA in regards to repeat offenders? Here, they let you loose to perfect your previous crime...I've lived in FL for so long that I can't remember what a police officer's job description entails; haven't seen many patrol vehicles these days at the donut shop...budget cuts.

But seriously, our criminals don't have to deal with jackets or mittens so crime never takes a winter vacation. They don't even bother to wear masks when bank robbing. They just walk in & ask for the money. You know it's bad when the addicts call 911 to report being short changed on drugs.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 21,969 times
Thanks so much for the input!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:32 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,740,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Parts of Bradenton are that bad. Parts of Bradenton are not. As a general rule, if the street address ends in the direction East it is not going to be a nicer part of town. NW Bradenton is still nice.
This is absolutely correct. East-Bad, West-So/So for some parts, NW-best.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,300,229 times
What are you calling east? I am in Tara Preserves next to Lakewood ranch and I thought this was east Bradenton? If I go west towards Dicks Sporting goods and the hospital it is the hood.

But I have to say after living here, Sarasota has some VERY crusty areas too. I am actually glad I didn't move to Sarasota. I would read the posts and people raved about Sarasota and yes, there are some nice parts but there are lots of OLD run down homes all over Sarasota. Look at Beeridge Rd. That is nasty.

At least where I live there are new homes, nice country clubs and golf courses, etc. Where I live, I never see hood. I don't go in that direction. I'm 20 minutes from the "hood" in Bradenton so Bradenton is spread out.
This
I would never, ever tell anyone to buy a home in Florida without looking at it and checking out the area. Things are very different down here.

Some areas you are on top of your neighbor. (maybe 10 feet between homes) Some areas have gazillions of kids (like my development) and they have no yards so they play in the road or a driveway. So it is NOISY. You really have to look and see for yourself.

If you go more south as in North Port (SOFlGal) or Venice (FLBob) you won't have that as much as you do up here. These two are realtors and pros in the areas mentioned. They are the experts on their areas and a big help to all of us here on CD

Good luck

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 04-12-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,148,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
What are you calling east? I am in Tara Preserves next to Lakewood ranch and I thought this was east Bradenton? If I go west towards Dicks Sporting goods and the hospital it is the hood.
Actually, Tara is not "east Bradenton" it is considered "out east."

But I have to say after living here, Sarasota has some VERY crusty areas too. I am actually glad I didn't move to Sarasota. I would read the posts and people raved about Sarasota and yes, there are some nice parts but there are lots of OLD run down homes all over Sarasota. Look at Beeridge Rd. That is nasty.
A "run down" home does not make it a "hood" home. Go check out new construction in the "hoods." There's "crusty" areas everywhere across Florida.

At least where I live there are new homes, nice country clubs and golf courses, etc. Where I live, I never see hood. I don't go in that direction. I'm 20 minutes from the "hood" in Bradenton so Bradenton is spread out.
This
I would never, ever tell anyone to buy a home in Florida without looking at it and checking out the area. Things are very different down here.
Things are very different in Florida. Always check the neighborhood where you plan to purchase at three times durin the day...6 a.m., 6 p.m and midnight...that will give you an idea of what's going on at different hours.

Some areas you are on top of your neighbor. (maybe 10 feet between homes) Some areas have gazillions of kids (like my development) and they have no yards so they play in the road or a driveway. So it is NOISY. You really have to look and see for yourself.

If you go more south as in North Port (SOFlGal) or Venice (FLBob) you won't have that as much as you do up here. These two are realtors and pros in the areas mentioned. They are the experts on their areas and a big help to all of us here on CD

Good luck
We had beautiful weather out at the beaches over the weekend. Manatee steeped up patrols out on AMI and they pumped sand all weekend on Lido. The tourists were enthralled with the dolphins much closer to shore.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
We had beautiful weather out at the beaches over the weekend. Manatee steeped up patrols out on AMI and they pumped sand all weekend on Lido. The tourists were enthralled with the dolphins much closer to shore.
Lady, you are right, run down doesn't mean hood BUT I do see grown men with during the day, riding bicycles in flannel shirts (80 degrees out) and their underwear hanging out riding around the area or sitting out in their yards watching as the traffic goes by. Just looks Hood"ish" to me.

I haven't seen any new construction around this area I am talking about. It all looks run down. I don't even like going through there.

You are right, in florida each area has good and bad. But Lakewood Ranch is all new so I haven't seen any bad areas in there.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM

17 posts, read 46,112 times
Hey Ladywithafan.......I hear ya!!
Not much better here in Massachusetts!! Just about the most liberal State in the country...their more interested in making sure the criminals are well taken care of, than to protect or take care of the victims!!! No one goes to jail here....it's sad.....unfortunately, it's pretty like that all over the country, I'm afraid.

With my original comment - wanted to comment on people saying how bad the crime is in Bradenton.....everything that goes on down there, is here (and unfortunately everywhere) as well!!

JennySquirrel....I'm with you!! I live right around the corner from you (and I think that's a great part of town!!)
I play the "Preserve Golf Club" often when I'm down there!
We live in Windmill Manor Park...off of Natalie Way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area