Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,220 times

Advertisements

For years, I lived across various cities in the panhandle, then experienced a lovely thriving community in NC. Thriving, I say,
because the quality of life: jobs,education,low crime,parks were
a priority. The western panhandle seems like a 'trailor park' by comparison! Now I am relocating back to FL and eyeing three areas: St. Augustine, Tallahassee, Sarasota.

How do the three compare: quality of life, jobs in elder care and schools?
Love this forum! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,100,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Vinci_Design View Post
For years, I lived across various cities in the panhandle, then experienced a lovely thriving community in NC. Thriving, I say,
a priority. The western panhandle seems like a 'trailor park' by comparison! Now I am relocating back to FL and eyeing three areas: St. Augustine, Tallahassee, Sarasota.

Love this forum! Thanks.

Da Vinci,
Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to hang out, or learn something new about the area! Good Luck on you relocation!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,939,274 times
Quote:

Love this forum! Thanks.
I've never lived in Tally or St Augustine so I can't really compare those cities but I was born and raised in the Sarasota area and can tell you about this area.

First of all, I would make sure you have a job secured before moving to the area. Like many other parts of the country jobs are scarce.

Sarasota is known for it's school system. Many of the schools are "A" rated and Sarasota county has the only full time gifted public school in the state of FL.

There are a ton of parks in Sarasota county-from dog parks to dog beaches to just regular parks. Sarasota also has some fabulous beaches. Siesta Key was ranked the #2 beach in America by Dr. Beach.org. Sarasota County, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sarasota has a huge arts community and a fabulous downtown area. Here are a few places worth checking out if you come to town:

Babcock Wilderness Adventures
Swamp Buggy Races
GWIZ
MOSI
Mote Marine
Ringling Museum
Sarasota Children's Garden (http://www.sarasotachildrensgarden.com/English/frames.html - broken link)
Selby
Jungle Gardens
Solomon's Castle
South FL Museum

Then downtown you have:
Sarasota Farmers Market
Towles Court
Burns Court
Downtown restaurants

Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 AM

917 posts, read 2,617,720 times
Quote:
because the quality of life: jobs,education,low crime,parks were a priority.
Hi Da_Vinci,
That's a lot of praise for an area that you're leaving. Must be pretty good there. Can you tell us where it is?

Lots of people would like to find such a place these days. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,637,422 times
I have lived in Sarasota since 1998 and now have a home in St Augustine (bought as a foreclosure investement to retire to)
No doubt in my mind where to go if you are young in heart like real history and real culture with a well balanced community and it is the oldest and cutest city in USA ST AUGUSTINE. Bit colder and the sun rises in the ocean and sets on the marshes!

Old 10-25-2009, 04:29 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
Quote:

Love this forum! Thanks.
A lot will depend on what you are looking for and why you are leaving where you are? Personally, I love Sarasota. Very artsy and cosmopolitan, so much to do, the best beaches in Florida, circus history, an Amish village, two top-ranked small colleges (Ringling Art and New College), plus a USF branch, a symphony, ballet co., opera co. theatre arts college and way too much to name. This is way more than you will find in either of the other two cities, although of course Tallahassee is the capital with a large college and St. Augustine is a cute town with some neat stuff. You should visit all three and see what you like. Personally, I don't think the sunset coast (Gulf) can be beat, and I am a Florida native. I would live nowhere else. The quality of life here (for what I consider to be a relatively small price) is off the chart. There is excellent medical care of all kinds here, some of the best, I would think there are jobs in elder care, although I haven't personally looked.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM

57 posts, read 144,643 times
Hi DaVinci,

Please do tell where the lovely thriving community is in NC? I am from the state and am curious...we are going to be relocating to FL within the next 6 months or so and are thinking the Sarasota/Bradenton area will be the most likely for us. We have been to St. Augustine, as that was one of the options for relocation and did not like it AT ALL...too touristy and too pushy with the history. We were hoping for a Savannah or Wilmington, NC, feel but were sorely disappointed. My husband lived in Tallahassee for about 10 years and his mom still lives there; my aunt/uncle cousins live there and we went every year for about 18 years to visit them (and, of course, we visit my in-laws there)....I don't like it at all and never have...HOT, swamp-land, with way too much of a "redneck" feel for me. Keep in mind that I am from the South so I know redneck when I see it!! Lovely trees and nice hills but too much of a slow, South Georgia vibe for me. I grew up in Chapel Hill, NC, and lived in Wilmington, NC, as well....great places but I am done with the cold forever...good luck with your search

Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatesgal318 View Post
Hi DaVinci,

Please do tell where the lovely thriving community is in NC? I am from the state and am curious...we are going to be relocating to FL within the next 6 months or so and are thinking the Sarasota/Bradenton area will be the most likely for us. We have been to St. Augustine, as that was one of the options for relocation and did not like it AT ALL...too touristy and too pushy with the history. We were hoping for a Savannah or Wilmington, NC, feel but were sorely disappointed. My husband lived in Tallahassee for about 10 years and his mom still lives there; my aunt/uncle cousins live there and we went every year for about 18 years to visit them (and, of course, we visit my in-laws there)....I don't like it at all and never have...HOT, swamp-land, with way too much of a "redneck" feel for me. Keep in mind that I am from the South so I know redneck when I see it!! Lovely trees and nice hills but too much of a slow, South Georgia vibe for me. I grew up in Chapel Hill, NC, and lived in Wilmington, NC, as well....great places but I am done with the cold forever...good luck with your search
I agree with your assessments of the towns. As much as I like VISITING St. Augustine, I would never live there for the reasons you state. Plus, it doesn't really hold a candle to what the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area offers. And Tallahassee, agreed - way too southern for me and far from the coast. Plus, Sarasota is part of the large Tampa Bay metro area, and an easy drive to St. Pete or Tampa for even more amenities. This area rocks!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,100,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with your assessments of the towns. As much as I like VISITING St. Augustine, I would never live there for the reasons you state. Plus, it doesn't really hold a candle to what the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area offers. And Tallahassee, agreed - way too southern for me and far from the coast. Plus, Sarasota is part of the large Tampa Bay metro area, and an easy drive to St. Pete or Tampa for even more amenities. This area rocks!

Not only that!!!! But gypsychic is from there and I don't think you'll find a nice ambassador! And, I think she likes me! . . . I know I like her!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Not only that!!!! But gypsychic is from there and I don't think you'll find a nice ambassador! And, I think she likes me! . . . I know I like her!
haha - you so sweet, Big House! Havin' a glass o' wine in your honor, right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area