Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 13,323 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I live in Nokomis. When I talk on my cell phone at my home I get my own echo. Is this just with Verizon or do other services do this because of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,559,272 times
I used to get that and dropped calls in my home. I bought a microcell for my home. I have AT&T.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 AM

509 posts, read 907,854 times
I've never had Verison, but I've had Tmobile, Virgin Mobile, and now I have Sprint and I've never had that happen here.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Last night I was talking on the phone, all of a sudden it let out a loud beep, disconnected, and told me I had left the service area. I had been in the same spot the entire time!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Tamre what is a microcell?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,349,818 times
A "Microcell" is a small antenna for your house that hooks up to the Internet to make your calls. Think of it like your wifi router. It would plug into it, and then use your Internet connection instead of the cellular providers network. Cell providers used to give them to you for free if you have problems making calls at home. Now, they charge you for the microcell. You also have to use the microcell specific to your cell provider, an AT&T one wont work with Verizon, etc... It's a nice solution for "dead spots". None of this actually matters to you, though, as an echo is completely different.

An echo on the cell phone is a result of your phones "echo cancellation" and is specific to your phone and the cell provider. Often times just hanging up and redialing will fix this fluke. Some phones (mostly blackberries, I believe) actually have echo cancellation settings you can adjust. If your phones battery is low can also induce echo cancellation problems. Also other electronic devices in your nearby area such as wifi routers, home telephones, computers, laptops, and the such will also cause this sometimes. There's no perfect fix for it, but usually its one of those issues causing your echo. Change rooms, battery full, call your cell provider - those are all you can really do to try and fix it.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Thank you for the info and advice beninfl! I'm going to give it a try!

Old 12-25-2013, 01:51 PM

597 posts, read 1,444,402 times
BeninFl....I have one from AT&T and I still drop calls AND at times I will literally go and sit right next to the Microcell and it will still drop the call.

There are dead spots and nothing is going to help except the carrier adding towers.

Lakewood Ranch is terrible. I have friends in the Country Club and they are always dropping call and they too have the Microcell's.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:27 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,349,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
BeninFl....I have one from AT&T and I still drop calls AND at times I will literally go and sit right next to the Microcell and it will still drop the call.

There are dead spots and nothing is going to help except the carrier adding towers.

Lakewood Ranch is terrible. I have friends in the Country Club and they are always dropping call and they too have the Microcell's.
Time for a new cell provider it sounds like! :-) If others with the microcell are having problems, that bewilders me. I would offer the advice of the Internet connection being poor, microcell being misconfigured or broken, or a dying cell phone, but if others with the microcell experience the same issues too, I'm at a loss for words.......

Old 12-25-2013, 09:13 PM

4,541 posts, read 3,764,183 times
We have to get near a window to get two signal bars and that's spotty in the house. We have a micro cell and have five solid bars and no dropped calls with it.. DH has conference calls for work throughout the week with no problems. Don't pay full price for one, politely complain about the poor coverage here, they dropped the price for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area