Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times

Advertisements

How far inland did the flooding go from Tropical Storm Debby ? Are parts of Sarasota County a lower sea level than other parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:16 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Here is a report on the Sarasot County Sea Levels - http://www.scgov.net/pdrp/documents/...tudy070609.pdf

Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
I found some really interesting articles, eye opening for me at least.

In Sarasota, Businesses Take Small Steps to Confront Climate Risks | Climate Central

Southwest Florida History Littered with Hurricanes | Sarasota History Alive!

kind of errie seems 2012 is possibly our time. Maybe, hopefully, it will just breeze over us.

Sarasota,Florida hurricanes

How many hurricanes have hit Sarasota Florida

*NOTE
Please read, especially newer transplants, people are too complacent and expect the emergency teams are going to be there for them, when in fact, funding isn't what is once was, volunteer numbers for the Red Cross and other emergency management teams are down at the moment. I'm not a fatalist, (honestly,) but it's not always going to be the other guy that s_ _t happens to so, please I urge you to pick up some vital info to help you help yourself in the event of a huricane or similar emergency should occur in near you.:

http://sarasota.patch.com/articles/know-your-evacuation-zone-this-hurricane-season#video-10010015

Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Thanks for those links
I checked the address for our FL house and we are in #2 evac level--meaning we would need to leave with storms of lesser intensity since we are probably under 2 miles as crow flies from the Gulf...
Pine View school which takes pets thankfully is closest shelter but not that much farther inland...
At what level are shelters evacuated?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Thanks for those links
I checked the address for our FL house and we are in #2 evac level--meaning we would need to leave with storms of lesser intensity since we are probably under 2 miles as crow flies from the Gulf...
Pine View school which takes pets thankfully is closest shelter but not that much farther inland...
At what level are shelters evacuated?
mandatory evacuation is very rare. the eye of the storm needs to be coming directly at us. Even so, they usually suggest (not mandatory) evactuations in cat#1 first. It's is even more rare that they get to #2.

Lots of folks that decide to evacuate don't go to shelters. Instead they head inland or to the other coast and get a hotel. If you have pets, get a list together of hotels in other areas that take pets. the web site petswelcome dot com lists many.

Sometimes you decide on the day of evacuation exactly where to go (aim is to go far away from where the storm appears to be headed) .

I have evacuated before to hotels and saw many other evacuees there. Not thinking a shelter is where I want to go because it is not far enough from the storm and would rather not be in close quarters with so many folks if I can instead have a private hotel room.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
mandatory evacuation is very rare. the eye of the storm needs to be coming directly at us. Even so, they usually suggest (not mandatory) evactuations in cat#1 first. It's is even more rare that they get to #2.

Lots of folks that decide to evacuate don't go to shelters. Instead they head inland or to the other coast and get a hotel. If you have pets, get a list together of hotels in other areas that take pets. the web site petswelcome dot com lists many.

Sometimes you decide on the day of evacuation exactly where to go (aim is to go far away from where the storm appears to be headed) .

I have evacuated before to hotels and saw many other evacuees there. Not thinking a shelter is where I want to go because it is not far enough from the storm and would rather not be in close quarters with so many folks if I can instead have a private hotel room.

That is exactly how I feel. We have never had to evacuate in my whole life of living in Florida. Now we currently live just two blocks from Sarasota Bay in Whitfield. This neighborhood is well drained and never floods, even in the worst storms like we just had. The big danger would be from a big storm surge, and that kind of surge is too high for ANYWHERE in Sarasota - I once read it would flood from 5 - 15 miles inland. I'm not sure what we would do if we had to evacuate, we have several pets to think of. I have been toying with buying a small cheap place in the hilly center of the state just for that purpose. Used to own such a place, and now regret selling it!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I've been evacuated off the coast of South Carolina probably 15-20 times in my lifetime and actually stayed through Hurricane Hugo which was a direct hit to Charleston, South Carolina (actually, just north) as a Category 4.

The biggest threat is the wind.

Unless you are immediately on the coast, storm surge is only a problem if the storm hits at an unusually high tide as it did in Charleston and the surge easily went 20 miles inland. It was a *****. Otherwise storm surge usually isn't that big a deal with the new building codes.

Hurricane Hugo was still a Category One Hurricane (and those of you who say you'll stay put for a direct hit on a Cat One are insane. It's STILL A HURRICANE!) when it hit Charlotte, North Carolina which was 200 miles inland from where Hugo made landfall.

Hugo devasted Charlotte.

After the evacuation debaucle of Hurricane Floyd, five million evacuated north? We now only head south for hurricane evacuations. Hurricanes always head north, rarely do they turn around and head south.

Hotels drop the 'no pet' policies for hurricane evacuees.

It's always all the trees that scare me.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:13 PM

38 posts, read 67,608 times
Default Flooding in Palmer Ranch area ?

Happy 4th to all my American friends! Was there any flooding around Westfield Sarasota square mall during the recent storm ? Looking to possibly buy in this area , just curious .

Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM

38 posts, read 67,608 times
Default bump

bump , anybuddy !

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,718 times
How bad was the flooding on Lido Key? Lido beach is much narrower than Siesta Beach and that looked pretty bad. Were the dunes on north Lido destroyed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area