Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM

26 posts, read 35,592 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm still debating on which part of Florida I may be moving to. I'm in the research stage at the moment. I was wondering if some Sarasota residents could answer a few questions. I will probably be staying at a hotel for about one to two months to check some palces out and I have been unable to find any of those extended type stay hotels. You know, the ones with kitchens?

Where are the hotels in Sarasota and are there any extended type ones?

How's the job market there?

I will be selling my old car here in Texas and was wondering how good the public transportaion is there. Some people have told me that one can get around pretty good without a car.

Which areas are safe and good? North, South, East, or West?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
The extended stay hotels are all out on University by the airport.

The job market isn't great for professionals unless you are in the tourism/hospitality business.

The bus system isn't bad but I'd hate to rely on it for daily transportation. I ride my bike to work everyday but by choice.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
I'm still debating on which part of Florida I may be moving to. I'm in the research stage at the moment. I was wondering if some Sarasota residents could answer a few questions. I will probably be staying at a hotel for about one to two months to check some palces out and I have been unable to find any of those extended type stay hotels. You know, the ones with kitchens?

There are a couple of nice extended stay motels by the Sarasota airport, on University Parkway. My brother likes the Homewood Suites (Hilton).

That depends on what type of work you're looking for. Could you give us a little more information?

I will be selling my old car here in Texas and was wondering how good the public transportaion is there. Some people have told me that one can get around pretty good without a car.

Sarasota does have a bus system (SCAT) but you would be limited to the areas the bus lines service and their schedules. Here's the link to the official SCAT site, which includes schedules:
Sarasota County Government

There have been several discussions recently about which part of Sarasota is "safe." Having lived in the area for almost 30 years, I find most of the area safe, although there are a couple of neighborhoods in north Sarasota that have more issues. You do need to use some common sense, as this is a fairly large metro area (200,000+ people, not including the winter visitors). Both the sheriff department and city police have access to crime statistics on their websites if you'd like to check out specific neighborhoods and areas.

I would suggest finding employment first, as you can then look for housing closer to work. Traffic can be an issue in certain parts of Sarasota, especially in the winter months when we have a lot of seasonal visitors.

Good luck with your move.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lover View Post
Hello all!

Where are the hotels in Sarasota and are there any extended type ones?

Thanks.

For extended stay, I recommend Sarasota Suites - it used to be a Suburban. It is two blocks from my house, and just north of the airport. It's right across the street from a diner, and the Ramada with a nice Tiki bar restaurant:

Sarasota Suites Hotel - Hotel in Sarasota near Bradenton - Sarasota Suites

I do not recommend the extended stay places further south on the north trail due to the proximity to the ghetto and some unsavory types around.

Public transport is decent in Sarasota and manatee counties, depending where you would live. This is not a job mecca, but it depends what you do.

You need to provide a bit more info on your situation so we can better answer your questions.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks for all of the information! Especially to you, Gypsy. I checked the Sarasota suites site and it look pretty cool. I have been in the education field for a long time. Worked in universities but that has seemed to have dried up and I can't get anything in that line of work now. I might have to try my hand at retail.

Are there any retail places close to the Sarasota hotel suits? Specifically Whole Foods and Target?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
There are a lot of colleges and universities in Sarasota. Not sure what line of work you are looking for.

Here is the list of colleges and universities in Sarasota with web links to their sites if you want to search directly with each college. colleges and universities in Sarasota, FL on Yahoo! Local

Some job search sites are: www.employflorida.com, www.sunherald.com, www.jobfocus.com, www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.craigslist.com, www.careerbuilder.com.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the information! Especially to you, Gypsy. I checked the Sarasota suites site and it look pretty cool. I have been in the education field for a long time. Worked in universities but that has seemed to have dried up and I can't get anything in that line of work now. I might have to try my hand at retail.

Are there any retail places close to the Sarasota hotel suits? Specifically Whole Foods and Target?
Whole Foods is about 15 minutes from Sarasota Hotel Suites. The Fruitville Rd or Cattlemen Target are about the same distance-20 minutes or so.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:

You're welcome! Whole Foods is downtown, about a 10 minute drive from my house (which is practically across from SS). But one mile north up the road is a small Publix and small Target. There is a LOT of big retail shopping on University Parkway, including a large Super Target. But that is about a 9 miles drive. I shop there extensively.

Everything you need is pretty close and convenient to SS, plus the bus line is right there. All the colleges are also on the North Trail, I have no idea if there are any openings, probably tough. But Sarasota (and Bradenton/Manatee) both seem to be expanding retail right and left so there may be some options there.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 AM

Thanks to everyone for the greta information!! I will keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area