Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 17,958 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking to move from missouri to florida, After doing alot of research we decided that we loved the sarasota area (but it mostly depends on where my husband can find a job in his field). We are a young family I'm 24 and my husband is 25 and we have 3 young children ages 9,3 and 2.

We want to live somwhere that has good schools and isn't more than a 30 minute drive from the beach. We are looking to rent a house (at least 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths) but we can't afford to pay more than $1,200 a month on rent. Is it possible to comfortably live in sarasota with a yearly income of only $42,000? Most of all is the sarasota area a good place to raise a family?

Sorry for any typos I have a toddler on my lap that trying to "help" me type!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
IMO, Sarasota is a great place to raise kids. I was born and raised here and so were my three kids-18, 13 and 6.

You didn't mention yours or your husbands profession. That would help in guiding you in the right direction.

Southside is the highest rated elementary school in Sarasota county with the exception of Pineview School, which takes special testing to enter.

You might be able to find something decent in the South Gate or Gulf Gate areas.

Here's a map of the neighborhood zones:
Sarasota County Schools Long Range Planning

Here's FL state rankings: School Accountability Report .

and here's some others opinions of various schools: www.greatschools.com

If you browse through some of my blogs on this website you'll get more info on rentals and schools.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Sorry I guess I should have mentioned my husbands profession. He is a cost estimator for architectiral and industrial sheet metal work.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Is your husband looking for a job in Sarasota or does he have a job already lined up? I did a search and there are architect and engineer jobs, but I couldn't find any cost estimator positiions in Sarasota. There were some in Tampa and Miami only.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM

He will be looking for a job, He has already found a few in the sarasota area but we don't plan on moving until the summer of 2013.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM

8,254 posts, read 4,666,091 times
Hippiemomof3 I moved to Sarasota from St. Louis, MO about 2 years ago (so I'm very familiar with St. Charles). I've found that cost of living for many things is not higher in Florida (but you might have to look around a bit for best places to shop etc.). I think gasoline price is about the same, food cost can be reasonable if you shop at Super Walmart for most items (Publix is kind of expensive - compare it to Dierbergs in St. Louis). You will save a lot on heating costs and Florida Power & Light has some of the lowest electric rates in the country. A lot of people complain that car insurance is high in Florida - which in general it might be higher than St. Louis, MO- however I was able to get a good rate on my insurance by shopping around with several brokers.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 AM

7 posts, read 23,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemomof3 View Post
Our family is looking to move from missouri to florida, After doing alot of research we decided that we loved the sarasota area (but it mostly depends on where my husband can find a job in his field). We are a young family I'm 24 and my husband is 25 and we have 3 young children ages 9,3 and 2.

We want to live somwhere that has good schools and isn't more than a 30 minute drive from the beach. We are looking to rent a house (at least 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths) but we can't afford to pay more than $1,200 a month on rent. Is it possible to comfortably live in sarasota with a yearly income of only $42,000? Most of all is the sarasota area a good place to raise a family?

Jennifer
You mean Sarasota? ............where a couple of kids from the UK just got shot and killed not long ago just for taking the wrong turn into the ghetto ???..

Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest_of_The_World View Post
You mean Sarasota? ............where a couple of kids from the UK just got shot and killed not long ago just for taking the wrong turn into the ghetto ???..

It can't be any worse than St. Louis. St. louis was named the #1 most dangerous city in america!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Hippiemomof3 I moved to Sarasota from St. Louis, MO about 2 years ago (so I'm very familiar with St. Charles). I've found that cost of living for many things is not higher in Florida (but you might have to look around a bit for best places to shop etc.). I think gasoline price is about the same, food cost can be reasonable if you shop at Super Walmart for most items (Publix is kind of expensive - compare it to Dierbergs in St. Louis). You will save a lot on heating costs and Florida Power & Light has some of the lowest electric rates in the country. A lot of people complain that car insurance is high in Florida - which in general it might be higher than St. Louis, MO- however I was able to get a good rate on my insurance by shopping around with several brokers.
Thank you so much! I was really worried about the cost food and gas.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times
Hippiemomof3,

Did you ever get answer of whether you can live on $42K in Sarasota? I haven't seen a direct answer, but maybe I missed it.

I am very interested, even though I make a bit more than that, but as you probably know, the more you make, the more you end up spending.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemomof3 View Post

Jennifer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area