Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,770 times

Advertisements

Hi.

We are trying to get some idea/opinions on which alarm security companies and monitoring services are good and not so-good. I dont like having to commit to a contract for 3 years, like some of the bigger companies (ADT, Brinks, Ect ) require, but if they are really good and reliable then it may be worth trying it?

Has anyone heard or used a company called Orlando Emergency Signal? The use a monitoring service in Sarasota called All American Monitoring Service, it seems to be based in florida and they dont require a longterm contract.

Anyone's feedback, opinions or experiences with any alarm services in central florida is appreciated. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
check with the better business bureau
there are plenty of complaints about brinks--in fact I think they changed the name of their company in some states because of lawsuits

google for the name+complaints

don't think there is state agency regulating these companies but you might check with the city attorney and see if any lawsuits have been filed as well...

Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,626 times
I am not a Brinks salesman. We have Brinks for past 2 years and it has worked fine. They call me right away on any alarm even if it was that triggered it by going in my garage next door ( on the same system ).

I hear that they are being bought by ADT, and I had them for my business.

I have read some of those complaints and I think 50% are from bone head consumers who don't ask questions or read the contract.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Are there any alarm services that don't require a landline phone? I'm 32 yrs old, and haven't ever had a landline in my entire adult life and will never have one. I know the phone line is how the system "communicates" with the monitoring company, but am unsure if there are other options now.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,531 times
I have had ADT for about nine years and have had no issues. The monthly fee has increases a bit more than I thought it should over the years. I recently called and told them I was going to change service and they lowered my payment. Most companies that install your system will have you sign a contract for service. It's a trade off. There are systems you can install yourself. You can then do an internet search for a monitoring service. Make sure it is UL listed. And having a service that is located in your area may not be a good thing. If there is a natural disaster in your area, the service may be also be knocked out. I live in Western Ohio and my service is located in Pittsburgh. Chances are any event that effects me will not effect Pittsburgh. And they do have monitering service that can use a dedicated cell phone line or broadband. Of course with broadband, no power equals no service.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 AM

27 posts, read 56,348 times
You might check with Front Point Security System. I have had them for a little over a year. No land line is required and the service is great. Any issues have been handled quickly and I think they are a good company. No, I am not an employee, just a retired Military Man.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM

204 posts, read 601,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Are there any alarm services that don't require a landline phone? I'm 32 yrs old, and haven't ever had a landline in my entire adult life and will never have one. I know the phone line is how the system "communicates" with the monitoring company, but am unsure if there are other options now.
We have an ADT system with a cellular unit for alarms. No land line required, but costs a bit more. The setup has a good battery backup, so it can continue to run for many days during a power outage.

I'm not thrilled with ADT's costs, but they have been reliable and taken care of warranty problems with the system at no additional cost to us, and no hassles.

-HHH

Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
Just a question since we were wondering the same?? What happens if someone breaks in and your alarm sounds when you're not home? Doesn't it just make sense to have it attached to a cell?? Ive never had a system, but have one now that we would like to activate.. : )

Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Just a question since we were wondering the same?? What happens if someone breaks in and your alarm sounds when you're not home? Doesn't it just make sense to have it attached to a cell?? Ive never had a system, but have one now that we would like to activate.. : )
Here is what I have and how it works for me. I have ADT and it is serviced through it's own cellular device(since we only use cell phones and have no phoneline)that is mounted to the wall ,so that in the event of a break-in not only does an audible alarm go off inside the house,but a signal is sent to ADT monitoring service that the alarm has been tripped,whereupon the ADT people go to my Call list and start calling the first number on my list,if they dont reach me they call my wifes phone,if they dont reach her, they call a friend we have on our list ,if they reach us and we cant verify who tripped the alarm,or if they cant reach anyone,then they call the police department to send out an officer,and this all happens within just a few minutes of the alarm being tripped. Probably in most cases there would be a police officer at the property within 10 minutes,and trust me on this because we have had false alarms when we were snowbirding,and the property manager set off the alarm! Hope this helps you

Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
The system we have in our new house is ADT, meaning it was put in by them I think. Can we go with anyone for monthly service and activation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area