Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 04:04 PM

946 posts, read 3,275,530 times

Advertisements

Prestige and property values are funny things. There are factors in Santa Fe that I have never understood.

1. Proximity to the Plaza. Why? Nice if you are a tourist and looking for a hotel. But why for a resident when it is not close to anything that you need for daily living.

2. Unpaved roads. IMO -- Dust or mud depending upon the weather. So why wouldn't you want a little asphalt??

But - so what? If someone wants to spend a fortune to live on a dirt road close the Plaza -- why not? It's their money, and they don't have to agree with my values. And they'll pay a lot of property tax and not even ask to get their road paved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,411,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Prestige and property values are funny things. There are factors in Santa Fe that I have never understood.

1. Proximity to the Plaza. Why? Nice if you are a tourist and looking for a hotel. But why for a resident when it is not close to anything that you need for daily living.

2. Unpaved roads. IMO -- Dust or mud depending upon the weather. So why wouldn't you want a little asphalt??

But - so what? If someone wants to spend a fortune to live on a dirt road close the Plaza -- why not? It's their money, and they don't have to agree with my values. And they'll pay a lot of property tax and not even ask to get their road paved.
Oh, ignore me, I'm stressed out--doing this alone gets scary--what happens if.......I am unable to work, get sick....etc. Also a little worried about living alone off Airport Road because of the reputation which is perpetuated here although no one seems to have actually lived off of Airport Road. I need to keep some perspective. I hate doing or not doing something from fear. I've found that whatever fantasy I had in my mind about something it usually is just a fantasy and reality is totally different. I've lived in some really scary areas so this should be fine. I wish I had money to choose to live anywhere I want to so I get irritated when someone talks about preferring something else. Well me too. Just can't afford it. I don't begrudge anyone making choices to live where they want but be aware others don't have those choices.

It is interesting when you think about what makes something desirable and more expensive versus undesirable and cheaper. It changes. One thing you can count on is change. I like to think it is a good thing. Maybe with the cost of gas you will be viewed as very rich to live outside of a town but then again it might raise the prices in town. It is very odd how it gets cheaper to live further from town yet now costly to drive to town. The truly poor people are just screwed. I think Santa Fe's focus on affordable housing is commendable. And I'm looking forward to not taking half an hour to drive home after shopping at Sam's Club or taking a class at the community college.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Also a little worried about living alone off Airport Road because of the reputation which is perpetuated here although no one seems to have actually lived off of Airport Road.

And I'm looking forward to not taking half an hour to drive home after shopping at Sam's Club or taking a class at the community college.
Yes, it is kind of funny that none of use have lived there and yet have opinions or fears. Let's remember that Santa Fe is expensive and no neighborhood can be too bad.

Also south is very convenient. My impression is that north is more prestigious but south is better located for much of daily life. You live in Tesuque, where do you shop for groceries? Tesuque Market? I guess they drive into Whole Foods and since they live in Tesuque they can afford it.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 AM

44 posts, read 135,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Yes, it is kind of funny that none of use have lived there and yet have opinions or fears. Let's remember that Santa Fe is expensive and no neighborhood can be too bad.
This is kinda what I was counting on.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,621,747 times
I don't live off Airport Road, but I spend time there at least weekly. I wouldn't want to live there, because if I am going to live off Airport Road, I might as well just live in Albuquerque or better Rio Rancho and get more house for my money. The neighborhood has these tiny houses smashed together, and my perception is that they have more property crime over there than the rest of Santa Fe. But who knows, until you live over there, you won't know for sure. Jump in the deep end and see if you swim.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,621,747 times
We have plenty old, pretentious, past their prime and trying to still look young people though. If you are into the botox crowd, c'mon in the water's fine.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Default pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I don't live off Airport Road, but I spend time there at least weekly. I wouldn't want to live there, because if I am going to live off Airport Road, I might as well just live in Albuquerque or better Rio Rancho and get more house for my money. The neighborhood has these tiny houses smashed together, and my perception is that they have more property crime over there than the rest of Santa Fe. But who knows, until you live over there, you won't know for sure. Jump in the deep end and see if you swim.
I don't know. The professionals go after the richest neighborhoods. The fancy neighborhoods often have few people there.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 48,141 times
Default Eldorado - not a good option

If you are moving to Santa Fe and are concerned about the commute to downtown - Eldorado is just not a good option. As a real estate broker in Santa Fe, I would suggest that you consider that after moving, if you then decide that it isn't for you, you may be stuck for a while without taking a loss on the property.

The true questions are - what are you hoping for & what is your price range? There are great opportunities in the city without having to travel from Eldorado or Airport road if that is what would prefer.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,056,048 times
A couple of responses:

First, Blue Belle and her husband are not looking to buy; they are planning to rent. SO...if they rented a place in Eldorado or the Airport Rd. area, they are not going to be locked into a mortgage or having to resell if they don't like the area they are renting in.

Secondly, I know that many of the working people in Eldorado commute to Santa Fe. I haven't heard anyone say the commute of 25-30 minutes is that bad. (My gosh ... we never lived anywhere that we didn't have a commute that long!)

Thirdly, some people prefer to live in the city, some others do not and would rather live outside the city on larger lots and more space. It is nice there are options and we all get to choose which works best for us.

I just really reject the idea that "Eldorado is just not a good option".

It is one option of many.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM

332 posts, read 1,038,786 times
Default yeah Eldorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I just really reject the idea that "Eldorado is just not a good option".

It is one option of many.
Totally agreed. I had some clients in yesterday looking for an ultimate retirement home. They had no preconceptions about areas or neighborhoods. They loved Eldorado, for all the reasons above - sense of community, big views, no fences, convenient amenities, good property values anchored by a strong school. Closeness to El Gancho, for steaks and swims ;-}

I agree that the commuting can be a drag, especially from the far end of Eldorado - but only to those of us living here in SF already - a 35 minute, virtually traffic free commute is heaven to, say, somebody from LA. However if somebody is choosing Eldorado and commutes to Santa Fe, I think it's smart to try to be closer to the entrances - you sacrifice *some* views, but gain in efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe