Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM

255 posts, read 629,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
You could've just said so and saved us a lot of time.
you responded to it

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,786,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_gal View Post
Um, there were two random drive by shootings last night. One woman struck in her living room, one man hit in the Smith's parking lot on Pacheco.

And that's my point exactly. There is a heck of a lot of insane, random crime in this town. Glad you've been spared, others, not so lucky.
It was indeed a bummer to hear about the drive-bys that take it out of drug-related into the realm of random.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 54,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
It was indeed a bummer to hear about the drive-bys that take it out of drug-related into the realm of random.
You have illustrated my other point precisely. Everyone here shrugs off the crime because its drug related. I've had people tell me there is nothing to worry about since I'm not a drug addict. Except I find that kind of apathy repulsive. Further it fosters a culture that allows drugs and crime to fester as it has in northern New Mexico.

That sentiment is the exact problem here.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 52,022,591 times
Quote:
Everyone here shrugs off the crime because its drug related. I've had people tell me there is nothing to worry about since I'm not a drug addict. Except I find that kind of apathy repulsive. Further it fosters a culture that allows drugs and crime to fester as it has in northern New Mexico.

Please, do not include me in your scenario...

In my opinion I think you may have a slight misunderstanding on some issues.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,716,933 times
Quote:
You have illustrated my other point precisely. Everyone here shrugs off the crime because its drug related. I've had people tell me there is nothing to worry about since I'm not a drug addict. Except I find that kind of apathy repulsive. Further it fosters a culture that allows drugs and crime to fester as it has in northern New Mexico.

Regardless of whether the crime is drug related or not, the crime level in Santa Fe is only slightly above the national average.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,716,933 times
And the violent crime rate is the same as the national average.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Um, there were two random drive by shootings last night. One woman struck in her living room, one man hit in the Smith's parking lot on Pacheco.
This is interesting. The police tend to hang out in that Smith's parking lot at night, because they can see up and down St. Mike's and Pacheco from there. It's a good vantage point, and it's centrally-located, if they get any calls.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Yes, every word of what I said is true. Go google it. Maybe we just picked the wrong year to move or something, but all I know is that there were three murders with in block or two of West Alameda and Camino Alire between fall of 2011 and spring of 2012. Then there was a knifing / shooting off of Alameda. I was in the store when the pharmacy was held up, my neighbor's truck was indeed stolen. My two other neighbors did indeed have their homes broken into in the middle of the day. This is just the tip of the iceberg on the insanity I've seen since I moved here. You can close your eyes to this stuff and I think many of the locals are jaded and do just so. However, my skin crawls. I can't turn my head to that kind of concentrated crime and this neighborhood is no exception. It's like this all over this relatively small town. People just turn their heads, don't talk about it, sweep it under the rug. Or make crass jokes as funky monkey did. It's not a great place here unless you have a lot of money. But if you are of moderate means, trying to raise a family and come from a place where serious crime doesn't usually happen in your neighborhood, well hang on because you are in for a ride.
SF gal, it sounds like the neighborhoods you're talking about are the barrios: around the housing projects bordering Alameda, and also the area off of 2nd Street. Where do you live? I lived for awhile on San Mateo, which is across St. Francis from one of the barrios, and there were several break-ins, though most of them were due to people leaving their windows open, and one was a vacation rental that was empty.

Around 2005, 2006 there was a rash of rapes along the jogging trail/arroyo that goes through Camino Carlos Rey, and along other arroyos around town. Stuff happens. Read the crime reports, know what's going on where, and adjust your activities accordingly.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM

12,139 posts, read 6,666,931 times
We lived in SF for 7 years, and finally moved out of state because we were so tired of all the crime. My husband was beat up and robbed downtown. Our house was vandalized twice (and we lived in one of the best neighborhoods). Our neighbor was robbed and their dog shot, my housecleaner was robbed and raped in front of her kids. A dear friend was molested while hiking on a trail, and the list goes on and on.

We have lived in NYC, San Fran, Italy, Seattle and various smaller towns and NEVER experienced the kind of rampant crime as in SF. The newspaper avoids the harsh reality and sometimes doesn't even report the crimes because they don't want to scare off tourists.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,022,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
The newspaper avoids the harsh reality and sometimes doesn't even report the crimes because they don't want to scare off tourists.
Do you have any verifiable information of your claim?

Sorry, I just have to disagree with you.

Some sources of information Santa Fe Crime:
The The Santa Fe New Mexican: News and Information for Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico carries news of crime. The front page today had Autopsy: Tiny's patron suffocated after fight

Their The Santa Fe New Mexican: Police Notes starts with

Quote:
Police notes, May 10, 2013

The Santa Fe Police Department is investigating the following reports: Someone stole a set of silver teapots from a house in the 200 block of East Santa Fe Avenue between 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.
and goes on....

The City of Santa Fe has their "Crime Reports" with mapping, etc here: Santa Fe, NM - Official Website - Crime Reports

And if that is not enough, you can go to "Santa Fe Crime News & Santa Fe arrest records." here: Santa Fe Arrest Records News - Free Arrest Records for Santa Fe

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe