Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM

35 posts, read 83,658 times

Advertisements

We have a neighbor whose dog barks seemingly day and night -- every day. The rest of the dogs in the neighborhood seem fine, but this dog will set them off and then its a cacophony.

I feel sorry for the dog because it seems lonely, but I'm also sorry for the rest of us because this never, ever, ends.

Question: Does Santa Fe do anything about incessant dog barking? What are your experiences and what do you suggest?

I'm new to the neighborhood and don't want to cause trouble so soon, but I'm amazed that others aren't complaining as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
You can call animal control and file a complaint.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster View Post
We have a neighbor whose dog barks seemingly day and night -- every day.

Question: Does Santa Fe do anything about incessant dog barking? What are your experiences and what do you suggest?

For questions about animal licensing, humane cat traps, or to file barking complaints, call (505) 955-2701, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Santa Fe, NM - Official Website - Animal Services (page_not_found)

I have a lot of experience on the issue, but not in Santa Fe, in the ABQ area...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-21-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 AM

713 posts, read 1,845,406 times
Call animal control. Document when the dog barks and for how long. There is a nuisance ordinance in Santa Fe. I have had good results with animal control here. But if the dog continues to bark, be ready to file a criminal complaint. Animal control will go out two times, but the third time you call you'll have to file a criminal complaint. You also can only call during business hours. You used to be able to call the police during the night, but they won't take the calls anymore.

I tolerate dog barking during the day as long as it isn't continuous all day. The barking I complain about is at night. Right now there are two dogs around my house that bark, but they don't during the night anymore. I have contact animal control about both of them and the owners seem to have taken care of the problem.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM

35 posts, read 83,658 times
This is very helpful advice -- thank you everybody.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 17,243 times
Default Re: "Barking"

FYI, seeing as how this thread is marked for "Incessant dog barking" I feel like I should mention that calling the hotline listed in Poncho_NM's (Thanks Poncho!) comment (SF Animal Control: (505) 955-2701) is only useful for VIOLATIONS of code or law. Currently, in Santa Fe city limits (and to an even lesser degree outside the city), BARKING is not considered a violation. While it is still listed as a complaint and recorded as such, there is really no recourse.

Unfortunately, as loborick put it (Thanks loborick!) the only way to really do anything about it, if it really is a nuisance (btw, my motto is "choose your battles") is by taking legal action (civil though, NOT criminal in most cases). Keep in mind that this requires that your name be delivered to the offending party as the "accuser"...

In summary, talking to the person about the issue first before all this is probably the best bet. Be neighborly

Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
For questions about animal licensing, humane cat traps, or to file barking complaints, call (505) 955-2701, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Santa Fe, NM - Official Website - Animal Services
Guess I should have said:

Santa Fe, NM - Official Website - Animal Services (page_not_found)

Which says (with additional info on the page):

Quote:
The City of Santa Fe Animal Services Division is comprised of one manager and six full-time Animal Services officers who investigate and respond to vicious or stray animals, nuisance complaints, injured or ill animals, reports of cruelty or neglect, as well as other animal-related issues. Animal Services officers are on duty seven days a week and are committed to public safety, animal welfare, and public education.

To report a violation, please call the Santa Fe Police Department’s non-emergency dispatch line at (505) 428-3710 or (505) 955-2700.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-21-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 AM

79 posts, read 174,986 times
We had a neighbor in Albuquerque's South Valley whose dog barked every night all night. We fixed it by calling their house several times a night and saying in a friendly, worried tone, "Your dog is barking. Are you alright? Do you need help?"

Old 08-21-2015, 08:29 AM

Updated URL:

Animal Services SFPD | City of Santa Fe, New Mexico

Which includes "Animal Control Ordinances (PDF)" and "File a Barking Complaint" form.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I lived where there was a dog that barked all night long on the next street over. Then one night the dog started barking, there was a single loud BANG!

The noise must of scared it cause I never heard it bark again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe