Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times

Advertisements

I posted a question in the main forum asking about Ruidoso or other mountain communites where we could buy a small second home and spend the summers in cooler temperatures than Austin. After reading a lot about Ruidoso and the area, I think we would be happier closer to Santa Fe. I don't mind remote but I have to get a dose of civilization once in a while.

So, another poster responded with this:

If I were going to buy for ONLY summer use, I'd look at northern NM. There are any number of options for buying in forested areas near Santa Fe. Remote cabin sites as well as small community living are options available in the region. You might want to repost in the Santa Fe section of the NM forum in order to get more specific information.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places I might start researching?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Buy a copy of New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlas by Benchmark Maps. They are very good maps that will answer your questions. In the meantime try Tesuque and El Dorado. Try some Google Street Views. Good luck.

PS I only know about New Mexico because I am slightly obsessed and want to rtetire there.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

244 posts, read 644,022 times
Ruidoso is beautiful but very remote. There are a few hotels and restaurants but it isn't a true community. It's a place people go for a long weekend.

Santa Fe is a much better option; higher population and things to do. For better pricing you can look on the outskirts. Maybe El Dorado would be a good option, but I don't think there are too many small homes out there -- it's mostly a nice middle class community with 3-5 bedroom homes but surely there must be smaller stuff.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM

293 posts, read 971,275 times
The realtors association has a great website where you can search on all of the towns surrounding Santa Fe. It's at Moderator cut: Please, no links to real estate sites. . You could use that handy map to pick potential towns and the use the MLS listings on sfar.com to see if there's anything in your price range.

How far from Santa Fe are you willing to be? 15 minutes? 30 minutes? an hour? There are a lot of beautiful mountainous areas to the East about 30 minutes drive in Pecos and Glorieta.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-14-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,748 times
I live in one of the smaller homes in Eldorado (1400 sf).
VERY nice community to live in with lots of amenities.
Housing prices in Eldorado are pretty reasonable compared to many areas of Santa Fe.
But do not expect to find an inexpensive house there, unless it's a "short sale" or bank foreclosure?

Steve

Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I would want to be no more than an hour from Santa Fe. And I'm really not looking for suburban areas; definitely more of a cabin in the woods/mountains kind of area.

I'll start looking into the suggestions. Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,729 times
Some places to consider for a more rural cabin that's less than an hour from Santa Fe would be Pecos, Glorieta, Canoncito, Nambe, Chupadero and Rio en Medio.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I would want to be no more than an hour from Santa Fe. And I'm really not looking for suburban areas; definitely more of a cabin in the woods/mountains kind of area.

I'll start looking into the suggestions. Thanks again!
You also might want to look at the high road to Taos up in the mountains above Santa Fe: Truchas, El Valle, Trampas, Ojo Sarco, Peñasco, Chamisal, Rodarte. Our wooded home is at almost 8,000 ft elevation up against National Forest. I've noticed a number of places for sale lately in Penasco area.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Thank you! Both responses are very helpful!!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
If I were looking today for a "cabin in the woods" but close to civilization, I'd choose somewhere in SW Colorado - Durango / Pagosa Springs / Gunnison-Lake City. Much better infrastructure, more sophistication generally, and less dishonesty in local govt.

And going further afield, there are all sorts of opportunities in the Montrose / Cedar Edge / Ouray / Teluride region - arguably the most beautiful (spectacular) scenery to be found anywhere. (IMO).

Last edited by joqua; 03-16-2011 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe