Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,157,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
San Francisco has an even higher male/female ratio.
SF: 49.3% female
SJ: 49.7% female

San Francisco County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
San Jose (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The statistics don't agree with you.

You left out the fact that a significant percentage (12%) of men in SF are gay (thus effectively reducing the ratio of straight men to women).

Anyone who has walked through the streets of downtown San Francisco (as opposed to SJ) knows what I'm talking about.

I am 100% correct. Again SJ is sausage fest land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jose's Finest View Post
San Jose population: 952,000 and SF: 802,000

San Jose industry: the capital of Silicon Valley and SF: tourism

The area: San Jose is 178 sq. mile and SF is 75 sq. mile

Downtown SJ: clean, compact, safe and all the amenities Downtown SF: dirty, spread out and busy

Now, what's the best city?
I think it's incorrect to say SF's only industry is tourism. They have a pretty large financial industry. 2 of my mutual funds are based in San Francisco.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think it's incorrect to say SF's only industry is tourism. They have a pretty large financial industry. 2 of my mutual funds are based in San Francisco.
Hey now, let's not count an industry that functions by shifting money... S.F has a very large tech sector itself, actually, I don't know why people generally think that the tech stuff doesn't start until Menlo Park...

Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,157,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Hey now, let's not count an industry that functions by shifting money... S.F has a very large tech sector itself, actually, I don't know why people generally think that the tech stuff doesn't start until Menlo Park...
Shifting money = investing capital

What do you think venture capital is? Private equity same thing. Companies public and private need money "shifted" to run on.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 AM

591 posts, read 866,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
San Jose does have a larger population. However, in some ways it is a "one industry town". That one industry is the tech industry.

San Francisco has more notoriety partly because it is older. And partly because its economy is more diverse (or at least it was, historically).

Plus, while San Jose is pleasant enough, it will never compare to San Francisco for natural beauty, so SF will always attract more tourists.

San Jose is more suburban in character than San Francisco. The weather here is warmer and sunnier, too, without being unbearably hot (at least not most of the time).

But it is also sort of dull for a big city. It's missing a certain vibrancy that other cities its size (and even smaller ones) seeem to have. I attribute this to the fact that San Jose's movers and shakers are tech nerds, and they are clueless about things like arts and culture.
Make no mistake: here in San Jose we are more knowledgeable about Art per capita than most places; many hi-tech CEOs own famous art and are patrons of symphonies, not just the SF Symphony but the SV one as well. In fact, most of us here have traveled overseas. We have culture down pat; personally my Classical CD collection is larger than what's found in most large city libraries.

But also make no mistake: We are not running around frantically like in New York, we prefer a more laid-back atmosphere, kind of like Paris versus Provence. It suits us fine. If you want SF then by all means go there. We prefer to stay more down to earth. You really can't tell the rich here from the middle and lower-middle class when you're out and about (barring peacocking at nightclubs). We hate pretentiousness for the most part. SF is pretentious.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM

145 posts, read 509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Make no mistake: here in San Jose we are more knowledgeable about Art per capita than most places; many hi-tech CEOs own famous art and are patrons of symphonies, not just the SF Symphony but the SV one as well. In fact, most of us here have traveled overseas. We have culture down pat; personally my Classical CD collection is larger than what's found in most large city libraries.

But also make no mistake: We are not running around frantically like in New York, we prefer a more laid-back atmosphere, kind of like Paris versus Provence. It suits us fine. If you want SF then by all means go there. We prefer to stay more down to earth. You really can't tell the rich here from the middle and lower-middle class when you're out and about (barring peacocking at nightclubs). We hate pretentiousness for the most part. SF is pretentious.
spot on.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Hey now, let's not count an industry that functions by shifting money.....
I don't know why not. Let's not paint the whole financial industry with such a broad brush. Dodge & Cox's mutual funds have typically beaten their benchmarks by a pretty wide margin over the long term and they charge fees well below industry norms. Parnassus invests using socially responsible screens. Their funds have also done above average but their fees are around the industry average (not as low as they should be). Both firms are based in San Francisco.

Quote:
S.F has a very large tech sector itself, actually, I don't know why people generally think that the tech stuff doesn't start until Menlo Park...
Good point. Probably because SF tech companies don't get as much attention.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Make no mistake: here in San Jose we are more knowledgeable about Art per capita than most places; many hi-tech CEOs own famous art and are patrons of symphonies, not just the SF Symphony but the SV one as well. In fact, most of us here have traveled overseas. We have culture down pat; personally my Classical CD collection is larger than what's found in most large city libraries..
But what you're describing is more private than public. Hence the lack of vibe.

Quote:
There's a difference between laid back and dull. San Jose leans toward dull. Sometime I like that. Other times, not so much. I agree that SJ is much less pretentious than SF and that is a good thing.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,272,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
San Francisco has an even higher male/female ratio.
SF: 49.3% female
SJ: 49.7% female

San Francisco County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
San Jose (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The statistics don't agree with you.
The differences between cities' male/female ratios across the country all lie within a couple of percent. The idea of "Man Jose" is totally overblown, because it's just natural for there to be approximately the same number of men and women. I think across the country, it's like 51% and 49% men, and in San Jose, it's roughly the opposite. Either way, it's about half and half. The main problem is that "Man Jose" is full of dorky tech nerds who are undateable, and they need an excuse for why women won't go out with them.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,852,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
The main problem is that "Man Jose" is full of dorky tech nerds who are undateable, and they need an excuse for why women won't go out with them.
A great deal of those dorky tech nerds work down here, and live on the peninsula/SF, or east bay. Their collective dating acumen is often played out in places other than SJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose