Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 25,631 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I live in Sunnyvale and its a pretty slow place.. Before this I used to live in close to downtown Los Angeles. Since I moved to the bay area, I've been wanting to move to a downtown area.

Moving to downtown San Francisco would be idea, however the travel would be 60 miles one way everyday. Downtown San Jose, the travel is about 8 miles to my job

My question is, how is downtown SJ worth moving to? I am looking for a good downtown experience, with bars, eating joints, street fairs, club to be close by...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
SJ is nice, but the downtown is really small, like 5x5 blocks.
Most of the city is suburban sprawl - if you're looking for a real "urban" feel San Jose probably won't give it to you.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet1984 View Post
Hi there,

I live in Sunnyvale and its a pretty slow place.. Before this I used to live in close to downtown Los Angeles. Since I moved to the bay area, I've been wanting to move to a downtown area.

Moving to downtown San Francisco would be idea, however the travel would be 60 miles one way everyday. Downtown San Jose, the travel is about 8 miles to my job

My question is, how is downtown SJ worth moving to? I am looking for a good downtown experience, with bars, eating joints, street fairs, club to be close by...
I suspect it's not going to be downtown Los Angeles, but you can find all of those things in downtown SJ. I live downtown but am not really a club/bar person, so I can't advise more specifically on that. But plenty of restaurants, theaters, a big library, a few museums, etc.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
DTSJ is like a much smaller DTLA.
SJ is like a much smaller LA.
SF is different, but it has a much more lively downtown.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
You might want to give SJ a go. Easier to live in, and like the rest of us, you can always roll up to SF whenever the urge for urbanity hits.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM

Red face travelling to SF is not the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You might want to give SJ a go. Easier to live in, and like the rest of us, you can always roll up to SF whenever the urge for urbanity hits.
Travelling to SF is not the problem, travelling back when you are hammered is.. Still I think I'll give SJ a shot, might move out and sublease if things don't work out. At any rate it will be better than Sunnyvale..

Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM

@Everybody:

How different is downtown SJ from downtown Mountain view? I've been around downtown mountain view and castro street was nothing spectacular...

Also, any good areas to look for apartments? Any bad areas to avoid?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet1984 View Post
@Everybody:

How different is downtown SJ from downtown Mountain view? I've been around downtown mountain view and castro street was nothing spectacular...
Your second sentence answered your first one.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM

936 posts, read 2,068,882 times
downtown mountain view is basically a small town main street, good for a small city, bad for a big city, not very urban. Lots of asian restaurants basically and a couple book stores and clothing boutiques.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM

60 posts, read 123,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
downtown mountain view is basically a small town main street, good for a small city, bad for a big city, not very urban. Lots of asian restaurants basically and a couple book stores and clothing boutiques.
Unfortunately that is still better than DTSJ. Rose is the only store I know in DTSJ that is not either a restaurant or a bar or a yogurt joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose